Are there too many equipment choices today?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
It's seem every few months, we are seeing an extreme amount of new product (irons and woods) available. We used to see one new release of a new driver - now there's a max, draw or low spin version and more. I know demand increased during Covid. But, are there enough consumers to support this product or are there many garages full of unused clubs out there and the OEM's are taking advantage of our addiction, lol.

No such thing imo. The more, the merrier, more options mean there are more chances for everyone to find something that fits them best.

Choices are great!

The more options, the better chance a consumer can fit into one.

based on the fact that oems are quoting very lengthy lead times on ordering new product, i'm thinking demand is at an all time high.

as someone with some, um, "unique" needs in his clubs, i love options!

The market will dictate it, but I’m pro choices. Just like every other consumer good out there. Do we ever walk down the bread aisle and say “boy I wish there was only one kind of bread”. Or cars, or phones, or TVs, or anything else really.

The more choices the better. So many great companies right now that you’re pretty much guaranteed to find a few that’ll fit your eye and your game.

Never too much! Options are good for everyone! I sure as heck don't need the same driver head or irons as a pro but the fact that that's an option for people is fantastic!

Nah, it might make it tough to make a choice with so many fantastic option but that's a good problem to have.

I like the options, it allows more personality and to find things that work best for you - its a great thing IMO

Nope, just too many supply chain issues that delay us getting what we NEED!;)

Options are good, it just means you the buyer need to dismiss what absolutely isn’t for you. But hey, more to choose from!

I love all the options. Equipment with the consumer in mind = happier golfers as they then hopefully play better golf.

With the state of golf right now there is no way there are too many options. Options are good. Could you imagine if there wasn’t? I wouldn’t want to think about that especially right now

If there weren't enough consumers to support it, the companies wouldn't keep doing it.

More options is a good thing, even though it can get dizzying sometimes.

The number of choices is excellent now. The problem becomes how do you know what's best for you? Without a proper fitting, there is now a higher probability of buyers remorse for an uneducated consumer.

That said, I'm very pleased at all of these options available, because now there will be for sure something out there that can help improve my game (and it needs all the help it can get).

Man, I was kind of giggling about a similar thought this afternoon.

I dont get as overwhelmed with the drivers. For me it's the irons. It seems that almost everything that comes out in terms of irons excites me.

Just this morning I was looking at callaway combo sets, but still pretty committed to trying the new cobras in OL.

it's nuts and I love it!

I think it’s all about knowing your game, and what suits you.
There’s another site where their BST section is full of tour heads and 130g xx stiff shafts in mint condition, lol.
I know what works for me, and what doesn't, both in heads and shaft profile. I still love to tinker, but I know enough to stay in my lane. I know “what” to buy, if that makes sense?
I never get fit anymore, I don’t need to, I can do it myself… even with a putter. I know I have a strong arc, so I won’t buy one that doesn’t work with that type stroke. Wedges? I know the amount of bounce I need for the condition I play in.
It’s not rocket science. There aren’t a lot of guys with Master degrees doing fittings.

Last edited:
There are niche products no doubt but it is good to have choice

The market will dictate it, but I’m pro choices. Just like every other consumer good out there. Do we ever walk down the bread aisle and say “boy I wish there was only one kind of bread”. Or cars, or phones, or TVs, or anything else really.
Great analogies!

So long as players understand what gear they’re buying, I think that’s the main thing - asking what are the features and intended performance of the equipment.

I’m absolutely pro choice in model availability!

And a step further, I also really like that some clubs come in different colour ways! More chance in me being able to buy a great performing club with blue accents!

It's seem every few months, we are seeing an extreme amount of new product (irons and woods) available. We used to see one new release of a new driver - now there's a max, draw or low spin version and more. I know demand increased during Covid. But, are there enough consumers to support this product or are there many garages full of unused clubs out there and the OEM's are taking advantage of our addiction, lol.

11db7e69c23939acd8f9dc891d11031d.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, make no mistake... they're absolutely capitalizing on our addiction. Speaking of which, ahem, therefore, more and all... there's never enough.

I played in the 1980's and we had a very limited choice of shafts, grips, wedge grinds, etc. etc. to pick from compared to today.

Sooooo................I love 2022

I think the choice and variety is a great thing for golfers who are really into equipment and the impact it can have on their game. But it’s a scary confusing place for beginners these days. Being a beginner golfer isn’t necessarily something that’s fresh in the mind of the average THP’er. But we should all remember a time when we knew nothing about golf equipment. When starting out now, there’s a choice between dozens of £500 drivers all claiming to be the best with marketing campaigns full of technical jargon. What the hell do you choose to spend your hard earned money on when you’re starting out and who do you trust?!

Back