Are tour issue clubs worth the cost?

jfox789

2022 Budget Golf Champion & 2021 Dream Foursome!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Just saw an ad for tour issue clubs. They range from 2x-4x the cost of a standard-issue club. Are these really that much better or is it the hype/feeling of playing a tour club that drives up the cost?

I can’t think of a reason to pay 2x to 4x for a tour issue club. Putters could be a different beast for some.

The question about any club is how well suited to you and your game is it? If it’s well suited, you hit good shots with it and it’s affordable then it’s worth it whether it’s tour issue or not. Is a club that’s tour issue and a bad fit for you and your game worth it? Absolutely not.

For most of us unless you are sure it is a fit for you I don't see how they are worth that money. I would say you are much better off going and getting fit and getting clubs that fit you not a tour pro whose swing is probably very different from yours.

For most of us unless you are sure it is a fit for you I don't see how they are worth that money. I would say you are much better off going and getting fit and getting clubs that fit you not a tour pro whose swing is probably very different from yours.
To the extent that tolerances are much tighter on tour issue clubs, irons and putters particularly, your fitter should be able to adjust your clubs as necessary to hit the specs they're supposed to be.

In most cases, a tour issue club is going to be the same design and construction that you can buy for regular retail prices. The biggest difference being that the head has been measured and sorted to be a certain spec. May get some drivers stamped at 9 degrees but actually measured to more or less with a specific face angle.

Now, there are some tour issue clubs that are a completely different design to the retail counterpart but they don't seem to be as frequent. For instance, Epic Speed, Epic Max, and Epic Max LS seem to have some tour issue models that are a different design denoted by diamonds.

I think tour issue clubs could potentially be beneficial if you want or need a very specific spec. Or, you know you need the design that isn't available at retail. But, if you want it just to have a tour issue club, I don't think it's worth the high price. And you typically would get no warranty coverage either.

If you are looking at the same email I just got about Jaws Forged wedges asking for $800 for a set, then that would be a club you cannot buy at retail since they don't make a retail forged wedge.

To the extent that tolerances are much tighter on tour issue clubs, irons and putters particularly, your fitter should be able to adjust your clubs as necessary to hit the specs they're supposed to be.

I am not sure exactly which position you are taking? You should buy tour issue clubs then have them adjusted by your fitter or you should get your fitter to ensure the clubs you have are the specs they are supposed to have. If it is the latter I agree with you. If it is the former it seems kind of silly to spend extra on tour clubs then pay extra to have the specs adjusted to fit you.

I am not sure exactly which position you are taking? You should buy tour issue clubs then have them adjusted by your fitter or you should get your fitter to ensure the clubs you have are the specs they are supposed to have. If it is the latter I agree with you. If it is the former it seems kind of silly to spend extra on tour clubs then pay extra to have the specs adjusted to fit you.
It's the latter. I wasn't clear in my initial post.

When I was fitted for irons a couple of years ago, he asked that the clubs be shipped to him so that he could verify the specs and adjust, if necessary. A couple of clubs were wildly off spec.

I am pretty sure the specs are tighter and closer to what's stamped on the club. Probably some other changes too, like slight modifications compared to the off the rack clubs, but I no expert in that area. This is simply a guess. If it's worth the $$$ to someone, go for it.

Nope.

You can get a great bottle of wine for $200...you can also get a great bottle for $20. I don't think tour issue equipment would make THAT much difference for the vast majority of golfers.

If i was on tour or high level amateur playing in competition... sure...
as a 12-13 handicapper.... (or even if i was a low single digit) Nope.

Waste of money for most people. The reason pros need exact specs is they swing the same swing 99% of the time. While the average joe doesn’t come anywhere close to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a tour issue driver years ago because it was very hard to find gear that worked with my ball flight. Got a 7.5 TMade 580 XD Tp. Loved that thing!

Most companies now have the adjustability to make these clubs work. Also some just like saying they have tour equipment.

I buy certain tour heads simply because the actual spec is listed......

Or say Adams peanut hybrids, which were never released to the public[until later]

I've never thought a $3k Scotty putted any different from my $200 wrx B60 ......NOW tour only inserts would be something I could see certain yippers seeking.

Tour only shafts? On the fence - but getting the right weight is #1-- so I'm game

I’ve regretted it every time. So I stopped that nonsense. Even when scratch’ish still I regretted it. I never had any that were better than just buying the retail version. More precisely measured for sure, but I don’t think it makes a lot of difference if my driver is set at 5.5* or 5.8*.

Especially the way I’ve played this year.

I have a set of tour issued irons. I did not pay 2x or 3x i fell into them at random. They fixed everything I didn't like about the retail version. I also swear they are more forgiving as well. Something about them being special also helps. Funny thing is that unless you are real club ho most do not even notice. The MP20 blades in the bag though, people stop and stare at those all the time, but not the fancy tour clubs.

Not for me and my inconsistent swing.

Tour issue clubs might be worth the cost if you have a Tour quality swing. For most golfers they'd just be a waste of money unless the cost is worth it to have a nice looking bag in the parking lot.

For me, knowing the measured loft at a square face angle for woods is most important because I know which clubs perform best for my shallow swing. TM tour heads provide this info and more if you’re lucky enough to buy a new head with the sticker on it. Finding a fitter with the ability to accurately measure the club is the route I have gone without regret. Tour issue clubs are great however the premium paid is not worth it for me to be equipped properly.

If you are looking at the same email I just got about Jaws Forged wedges asking for $800 for a set, then that would be a club you cannot buy at retail since they don't make a retail forged wedge.

Yet

for me. it's about possibly finding the max cor on a driver head.

i want a driver that gives max legal distance.

some heads are thicker than others. just by randomness in manufacturing.

thicker not by design or year but by face thickness due to again randomness.

playing below legal COR can mean the difference between 1-2 clubs on approach.

as i've hit dead heads and hot heads. it matters.

stated tour heads on ebay - are they really max cor heads. who knows. it's a gamble. unless you can test and verify.

but i also know i don't always trust retail heads off the rack at golf shops.

now the cost etc for a tour head. does it really lower my scores. is it worth it? depends. that's a money discussion rabbit hole.

You wanna buy a beat to hell Tour Head? I’m your Huckleberry, lol. I have a couple I’d off shelf for a reasonable (my cost, maybe minus some for me jacking them up?). Lower 48 only please.

Just saw an ad for tour issue clubs. They range from 2x-4x the cost of a standard-issue club. Are these really that much better or is it the hype/feeling of playing a tour club that drives up the cost?

It's all about the fit, but I'd say no'ish.

playing below legal COR can mean the difference between 1-2 clubs on approach.
This is pretty interesting. We have tested thousands of heads ranging from max CT to slightly less and not sure we have seen anything like that previously.

Back