Are we at the mercy of OEM's club builders?

Well with the exception of those in the Titleist events

No sir, still not true. While I dont think it matters in this instance, Titleist does read THP both the home page and forum.

No sir, still not true. While I dont think it matters in this instance, Titleist does read THP both the home page and forum.

Well if that's the case, maybe one of the Titleist guys can read about my plight & comment :cool:

Well with the exception of those in the Titleist events
I think it would shock most to find out just how much the industry follows the THP forum. And honestly, any smart company would, as it's immediate and unbiased feedback on their products (not to mention seeing what works elsewhere).

I've learned from experience and others, always get lofts and lies checked on new irons. That said If i found my clubs that much off they would be heading back and i would ask for documentation showing they are built correctly to provide peace of mind.

Funny .... I bent all the clubs back to where they were supposed to be. Wow, ball went straight as an arrow. Masking tape on the sole ... hit a few shots ..... low and behold, right in the middle where it's supposed to be.
Hmmm ... but they were done right, huh, Titleist??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not sure how much faith I would put in a non digital but the ball flight correction speaks for itself.

I am really tired of the crap OEM's are sending out and they just don't care since 98% of people never know, so why make any effort to get them right. QC is supposed to be there, but to what degree?

After a lot of phone calls and 2 sets of irons built wrong they (callaway) admitted they knew they were off but sent them anyway...bullsh!t if they are wrong call the customer and ask what to do, not ship them and waste 4 weeks of time sending them back and forth.

I am still pissed off that Callaway could not figure out how to build a $2,400 set of irons to THEIR stated sw's, the heads were great and I would so have loved to keep them in the bag. probably a good thing I never did get around to checking the L/L

I know a handful in the golf industry that read THP. They never post as t
I am really tired of the crap OEM's are sending out and they just don't care since 98% of people never know, so why make any effort to get them right. QC is supposed to be there, but to what degree?

After a lot of phone calls and 2 sets of irons built wrong they (callaway) admitted they knew they were off but sent them anyway...bullsh!t if they are wrong call the customer and ask what to do, not ship them and waste 4 weeks of time sending them back and forth.

I am still pissed off that Callaway could not figure out how to build a $2,400 set of irons to THEIR stated sw's, the heads were great and I would so have loved to keep them in the bag. probably a good thing I never did get around to checking the L/L
did you order standard length on the shafts? That is usually where swing weight gets all screwed up. I ordered 1.5“ long and the lowest Mizuno could get the swing weight was E 1.5. But they called me and made sure I was okay with it before final assembly Since I requested D5.

Not sure how much faith I would put in a non digital but the ball flight correction speaks for itself.
They say they can get them within .25 of a degree with their machines. I'm sure I can do the same with mine. But the masking tape and ball flight are what matters most regardless of what # they are set at

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know a handful in the golf industry that read THP. They never post as t

did you order standard length on the shafts? That is usually where swing weight gets all screwed up. I ordered 1.5“ long and the lowest Mizuno could get the swing weight was E 1.5. But they called me and made sure I was okay with it before final assembly Since I requested D5.

They were .50" over, but all the exact same specs, grips, etc. as the APEX 19 pros which they hit dead on every club, the EPIC forged they could only get the 5& 6 iron right all the rest were C7-C9. Which they admitted at the end they knew but decided to ship anyway, if they had asked me I would have changed grips to help get them right so they could start all over again.

Evidently the EPIC forged heads are lighter (which maybe JB could confirm or deny) which would make it harder to get a D2 SW though the set as advertised and as I was told was possible on 3 different emails until the CS manager said it was impossible and that came from the pro builders in Carlsbad not Mexico.

I am sure I could have went around again with them and changed my specs to get it right, but I was just done with the whole affair and moved on the the Miura's.

They were .50" over, but all the exact same specs, grips, etc. as the APEX 19 pros which they hit dead on every club, the EPIC forged they could only get the 5& 6 iron right all the rest were C7-C9. Which they admitted at the end they knew but decided to ship anyway, if they had asked me I would have changed grips to help get them right so they could start all over again.

Evidently the EPIC forged heads are lighter (which maybe JB could confirm or deny) which would make it harder to get a D2 SW though the set as advertised and as I was told was possible on 3 different emails until the CS manager said it was impossible and that came from the pro builders in Carlsbad not Mexico.

I am sure I could have went around again with them and changed my specs to get it right, but I was just done with the whole affair and moved on the the Miura's.
Impossible to build a custom set to D2? That's funny.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Impossible to build a custom set to D2? That's funny.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That was when I threw in the towel, and that supposedly came from the guys that build the pro's clubs in Carlsbad.

I still call BS, you mean to tell me phil wants a 4 iron at D2 with a certain grip a certain length and they tell him "nope" can't do it with these heads....sure they will or find a way. But for the stinky masses nope can't do it.

Will Peoples said he would build them any way I want them and did with the Miura's I ordered, every single club perfect at progressive SW from D2 in the 5 iron to D5 in the wedges and did it in a week for $50 less than the EPIC's with 2 custom wedges added in.

I just did not want to add another $800 to the $2,400 I already had in the EPIC's from shear meanness

i had a set irons come in super upright, had a set come in where the long irons were super flat (55* on a 5 iron). I have seen swing weight be really hit or miss.

Lofts have been all over the map as well.

That said, most sets have been pretty close to what i've ordered. Like close enough that it doesn't matter.

If you really care, get them bent to your spec or built at custom builder. Yeah, it sucks, but its really only way to get to exact spec.

Back