Are you a low spin or high spin iron player?

Tevenor

2021 Grandaddy Alum / 2022 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
5ish
Something that I hear a lot and read a lot is the "i am a low spin hitter" or "I am trying to fight to much spin". Myself, I always thought of myself as a low spin guy mostly based on how my lower irons/wedges performed in the past. Then I had a fitting and my Wedges were spinning at 11.5k spin which my fitter said was pretty high spin for an amateur.

So my question for the THP community:

1) Do you consider yourself a low spin or high spin player?
2) If you know it, what's your spin in the 6i which most fittings happen.
3) If you know it, what's your spin in your pitching wedge ( no matter what loft it is )
4) And finally, is the fact that you are a low spin or high spin player due to your swing or because of the equipment you are using?

Inquiring minds want to know. Well.....maybe not all inquiring minds....maybe its just a single inquiring mind. Ok. It's me. I am the inquiring mind. ;)

I'll go first. I thought I was low spin but here are my numbers at the last sim session.

6i spin at 5881 avg RPM - T200 at 27 degrees
PW spin at 9346 avg RPM - T200 at 43 degrees

Last edited:
I’m higher, and my 6i tends to be close to 7k spin. No idea what my PW is on average.

it’s slightly due to equipment, because I basically need the lowest spinning iron options to fight it. Through my iron fitting I literally only found one shaft that brought it down anywhere near more preferred levels.

I just hit my new clubs from C.C. for the first time today and it was amazing the difference between my old irons and the new ones. This year I woke up to the wonders of technology, found I was spinning my irons 2K more than the club number and losing a ton of distance, so I guess I was a high spinner without knowing it. The new irons are flying 20+ yards more per club, simply amazing! My 5 iron is now spinning about 5K instead of 7K. So by changing clubs, I guess I'm now a normal spinner.

according to the sc300, my 6i averages 5100 spin...my 7i 6800...with my 565 irons and range balls

Last edited:
I am going to assume I am a low spin player since there is some roll out on all my iron shots. I was never able to develope the swing techniwue make balls back up on the greens. This, even if the lie, and green conditions were in favor of rolling a ball backwards.

As for what my spin rpms are, with various clubs/shots, I have no idea. I saw it on computers, but didn't pay much attention to it. I can say my chip shots tend to check up more before releasing.

As for stopping the ball near the flag pin, I found learning to hit high, drop & stop, flop shots, were easier for me. Easier than trying to get the ball to check up, or spin back..

Don't know my numbers but I think I'm naturally mid maybe? Any issue I ever had holding a green (outside of very dry conditions) has been related to equipment.

My CF16 and P790 irons are accepted as lower spin and when I used them with the Duo-Urethane, 7-irons and even sometimes 8-irons would release too far off of full shots.

Better with the Duo-Professional as I dont feel run-out has hurt me. But when I play the TP5, Z-Star or Snell MTB Black and MTBx, they stick more significantly.

I haven't often backed up wedges and short irons but would will hop & stop on well struck shots. So I'd never assume myself to be high spin.

I tend to default to tee game thinking when I hear those phrases. That seems to be the situation where people are actively trying to achieve lower spin most often. In that regard I'm slightly higher than I would like. The swing required to knock down that last few hundred revs for me with the flight I want is much harder on me physically though, and only changes things a couple yards at my swing speed, so I've become mostly fine with it. It really depends on the individual setups, but an average of around 2625 might be standard-ish for driver. I can lower it with my sub zero setup pretty easily with my current swing, but I'm aiming for a little more depth and slightly flatter swing this year off the tee in a way that doesn't hurt me or my iron game instead.

I spin my irons and wedges the appropriate amount for my game. Not far from the standard rule depending on club type.

High spin and high launch, and I'm almost 100% sure it's because of my swing and not the equipment I use. Due to those facts I try to lean towards low spin/launch heads and shafts so that I'm in more optimal numbers range (spin/launch/distance) for my swing speed.

I’m a low spin player. Whether your low spin or high spin, it’s down to technique.

Higher spin player. Means I need to think through some of my shots more. While I dont rip them back all the time, I know playing for my ball to release isnt always in the cards for a shot from the fairway.

It's also why I constantly debate myself over higher static loft vs lower static loft. I'm sure if I were to measure dynamic loft they would come out similarly.

Back