Are You A Mudder?

If it's raining hard no. I don't mind a light rain or drizzle.

Rain scares people from the course so it is a good time to get a quick round in. It rains like 5 days a year here so not really an issue. Downpours are a different issue. I won't play when there is a chance of flash floods but a little drizzle never hurt anybody.

Situational. If I get caught out in it, I will keep playing. If it's a drizzle at the start I will play, but if it's a down pour I prefer not to play. When I drove to stay with @e1iterate and meet him, Dave Edmonds and other THPers, I had drove 5-6 hours so I was playing dangit, even though it was down pouring and cold. lol

Yep, I’ll play in the rain. One of my best rounds was actually in the wet.

But if it’s looking like lightning might be making an appearance, I’m getting off the course.

Always amazed at the amount of people who decide the night before not to show up based on a weather forecast. Guy in our group once texted a few years ago the night before "Not playing, chance of rain". Turned out to be a beautiful day and he still hasn't heard the end of it . He has toughened up since.
Very true! I’ve been able to get on some pretty nice courses due to member cancellations this way!

Casual round

If it is raining before we start then we will either wait it out for a while to see if it stops, or reschedule
If it starts raining during the round, it will depend on how heavy it is as to whether or not we will continue or head back in

Competitive round

Regardless of the conditions, unless the club closes the course, the round goes ahead

I'll start a round in light rain if there isn't any wind. I would even deal with a little wind if the rain was still light. But if it's pouring, I will cancel as much as I don't want to. I HATE cancelling rounds though.

I live far enough away from the course though that rain at my house may be different than rain there. So I always go to the course to check and make my decision once there

Tough to play in the fall/winter here if you aren't willing to get a little wet. Never rains real hard but a little bit of rain and mud is a given for several months out of the year.

It would depend. If it’s a light rain, sure, if it’s going to be torrential, and soaking, then I will live to play another day

I won’t start a round in rain, but I have no problem playing my round if it rains.

I generally am good about checking weather before I play so I don’t play if it’s anything stronger than 20 mph winds or if it’s going to rain for more than 9/18 holes.

The rain it self doesn’t bother me but slippery clubs and extra humidity if it’s still hot afterwords are annoying enough where I don’t enjoy it as much.

I won't go out for a round if it's raining, we have too many nice days to golf on days like that. During the summer, if it starts raining while we're out there I'll play through it (at least until the lightning starts!) - but in cold weather I'm headed for the barn. I hate cold weather anyway, add in rain and I'm hitting the eject button.

I've always tried to avoid playing in the rain, especially if it's a steady rain. Also, if it's raining here, there's a good chance it's storming, so the courses usually shut down pretty quick. Playing in the rain always made the round more of a grind than fun. But that's just my $0.02.

Not much of a problem in my area. I would be willing depending on volume..

Normally I would say no. Desert rat tends to be quite fair weather golfer. But two weeks ago I was presented with just this scenario...after some thought....I made the choice to pay for a chance to play in quite substantial rain / course flooding.

I was much happier when the rain stopped after a few holes. But it was rather miserable when it was pouring.

I won't go out in my home course when its raining. I can just play it later when its not.

However, if I travel (over 1 hour or fly) to a golf course, and its raining when I get there, Im still going to play the round. Never lose opportunities to play a new course.

Won't do it when its 40-50 out - just can't be enjoyable

But otherwise yes. Did it this past weekend. Rained straight for the first two hours. Just dressed appropriately and off I went (although I forgot my bag cover and this place doesn't have the cart bag covers)

I'm a mudder. I have gone out in hurricanes to play just to experience crazy winds. I have played in monsoons when away on trips. If it is a certified event which is going to take place and play must go on....I'm hoping for ridiculous conditions because the worse they are the better my chance of kicking butt.

I don't mind it bit prefer not to. I actually play ok in the rain because I play faster and therefore don't have a lot of swing thoughts. Hit the ball and find the umbrella.

I’m a mudder, but I won’t walk in the rain...

Depends. If it’s a course I can play any old time then I’m more inclined to stay indoors. If it’s a nice track or someplace I will play rarely, if ever again, then I’m definitely going out. Did this very thing with @golfinnut when one of our local courses was closing for good. Sometimes you just have to just grind it out.

E862FA35-0342-47F1-98BD-80530C9E38C6.jpeg
989A2A71-D426-4175-AE06-7B9A6A57A30D.jpeg

Depends. If it’s a course I can play any old time then I’m more inclined to stay indoors. If it’s a nice track or someplace I will play rarely, if ever again, then I’m definitely going out. Did this very thing with @golfinnut when one of our local courses was closing for good. Sometimes you just have to just grind it out.

View attachment 9020273
View attachment 9020274

Man I miss Goose Creek. IT was so convenient for afternoon rounds. Here & Westpark were our go-to courses. Sad to see them go :cry:

We do not get much rain in Arizona and I don't really know how to play in it anymore. I tried a few weeks ago and about lost my driver in a ravine a few times. Every swing I felt like I was going to lose my club.

No, not I. There are just too many dry days to play here in San Antonio, when it's raining I stay home.

I'll play in light rain. If it gets too crazy or comes down too hard, I'll usually find a spot to pull off and wait it out a bit. I don't mind wet conditions.

Back