Are you a Public or Private Course golfer?

Public or Private?

• Public

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • Private

Votes: 24 23.1%

• Total voters

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Poll time! Are you a public or private Course golfer?

Me, because of where I live I’m a public Course guy through and through, just too far for any of the private courses!

Public course player here.

Muni guy.

Living in NY, the privates are $$$.

Hopefully some day I'll join a private club,

Poll time! Are you a public or private Course golfer?

Me, because of where I live I’m a public Course guy through and through, just too far for any of the private courses!
The distance thing is real.

Cleveland has this weird East/West thing, with a lot more good options for public golf on the west side, and fewer good options on the east side. We switched sides of town in late 2019, and now our club is 5 minutes from my office, 10 from home, the extra amenities pushed us over the edge. There are 2 other private courses even closer to our house, but one was too expensive, and the other didn't respond to membership inquiries and apparently didn't want our money.

• Staff
The distance thing is real.

Cleveland has this weird East/West thing, with a lot more good options for public golf on the west side, and fewer good options on the east side. We switched sides of town in late 2019, and now our club is 5 minutes from my office, 10 from home, the extra amenities pushed us over the edge. There are 2 other private courses even closer to our house, but one was too expensive, and the other didn't respond to membership inquiries and apparently didn't want our money.
I feel this. We are 45 minutes either way, and I just can’t make myself take the plunge, especially while I’m coaching still. Maybe one day when we move :LOL:

public, tons of quality options around me so no need to go private in order to find something decent to play

Public until the wife shows interest in joining a private club.

Private for us now, but both are good in this area. Private was because of the dining and social as much as anything else.
The club here has an average age for social of about 40, which is very young for country club atmosphere. Moving to a new area, it should allow to meet some new people.

I feel this. We are 45 minutes either way, and I just can’t make myself take the plunge, especially while I’m coaching still. Maybe one day when we move :LOL:
Yeah almost adding 50% more time just to play a round would make even the amount of golf I want to play a non-starter.

Was going private this year but since membership jumped last year the only private one here raised their price. Econ 101.

Unfortunately my house poor ass is stuck in Econ .101

My entire 54 holes played this year likely justifies not doing it even if the price hasn’t popped.

Public. Wouldn’t mind a private membership. Just don’t have the scratch for it.

Reactions: Ooo
Public - 1 no dress code, 2 because none of the privates around me are golf only, I don't care about the pool, dining, social events so I don't want to pay for something I am not going to use,

Public. I play where i want. Plus i just cant seem to accept the fees associated with private courses. Maybe if my wife plays more we will make the switch. Not ready yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public, can't justify the money for private right now. Although, I'm sure I'll get a taste for the good life when captaincaution takes me to his club. Which will make the publics I play taste sour in my mouth for a while. Just like when you normally fly cattle class, and finally get enough points to move up to first class, and get a taste of the sweet life, only to have to go back to moo-ing and standing in a line the next time you fly. A wistful glance just before they draw the curtain, then back to the reality of the guy who had something odd for dinner the previous night and smells evil.

Public, can't justify the money for private right now. Although, I'm sure I'll get a taste for the good life when captaincaution takes me to his club. Which will make the publics I play taste sour in my mouth for a while. Just like when you normally fly cattle class, and finally get enough points to move up to first class, and get a taste of the sweet life, only to have to go back to moo-ing and standing in a line the next time you fly. A wistful glance just before they draw the curtain, then back to the reality of the guy who had something odd for dinner the previous night and smells evil.

Public for me. If invited I won't pass up a chance to play a private course.

I would prefer the private, I am at a public course now and it’s nice. But one course I’ve always wanted to belong to is pretty expensive and probably won’t pull the trigger for a couple of years

I joined a private course last summer and will be there until I die. It isn’t inexpensive where I live and frankly good public tracks are a pretty good ride also.

i have private course tastes with a public course budget. so it's public for me until that rich uncle i've never met dies and leaves me a fortune.

Public. I'm not rich, old, or pretty enough to go the private route yet. We're working on two of those. To think of it, I think there are only 2-3 true private courses within an hour drive of me.

i play where i can...

Private. I will play anywhere when invited, but man there's something just a little nicer about a private track.

Public. I would be just in it for golf so the difference in the courses is not significant enough for me to justify the large price difference. Only 2 choices where I live, one public and one private.

Back