Are you a Public or Private Course golfer?

Public or Private?

• Public

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • Private

Votes: 24 23.1%

• Total voters
Public, too many great courses here to only play one.

Public, I don’t make near enough to justify a private membership

Public but it’s dominated by members. We can book 30 days out so there are not a lot of prime times available for the public which books a week out.

Public with more than 80 courses to choose from.

Private for me - I can't get enough of all the small differences at my club that make each round really feel special. that said, I will play anywhere, anytime....

I would love to say private, but alas I am still a public player.

I tell my sons all the time to forget about certain things like a beach house or building an inground pool. Go take that money and join a private golf club with the pool and facilities built-in. You will create a larger network when needed, enjoy the family time without the hassle of owning your own pool, and have plenty of opportunities that wouldn't be afforded to many that are not part of a private golf club community.

public and have never gone private... on local club has 2 courses so i'd consider that if my household income went up a bit and if it were relatively easy to get my dad in as a guest... although in reality, i'll just stick with public for a very long time

I belong to a private club since it is less than 3 miles from my house. I started playing again in 2017 and played at a lot of public courses then. Every course had issues due to the weather we had that year so I got fed up playing to play on crap. And the course I looked at was magnitudes nicer than any public course I had played. Throw in the proximity factor and it was a no brainer.

Almost all public for me. A round here or there at a private course but that doesn’t happen for me very often

Public for now, but I'm on the edge.

Public for now.....but I have my eyes set on a course just awaiting to visit to join up. Pretty excited to do so as well one of the top courses in the country

Public hacker up here. Nearest true private course is a hour away and only a 9 holer anyway. Pace of play can be a issue sometimes for our Sunday rounds but, also having Mondays off allows me to easily get in a couple of sub 3 hour rounds in a day at different courses.

I have lots of good public courses around me and see no reason to pay a lot of money to get stuck playing one course the whole year. That's what would happen if I joined one of the private clubs around here.

I voted Private because I belong to a club. However, I play in 2 tournament leagues and we play mostly public courses. So, really, I qualify for both.

Both. I’m a member at a private club, but I have played some public courses too. In the UK, virtually every private club allows visitors to play, but with certain conditions.

Public. Don't have the funds to go private.

In our area we have one private course and two semi private courses. We joined both semi private courses over the last 15 years. The one we liked best was a Robert Trent Jones Jr design, but it was too far to driver to during the winter months. So we now play the other one. Both allow public play and have yearly programs if you want for about $5000 a year for a play all you want and that includes a cart. The RTJ jr course had a 3k initiation fee and the other had no fee.

Back