Are you a Public or Private Course golfer?

Public or Private?

• Public

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • Private

Votes: 24 23.1%

• Total voters
I would join a private course to give it a shot but the ones around us are big bucks.

Same boat. I only have a handful of options for golf courses and they are all public. Love to be a part of a private course some day, but i'll likely have to move or build my own.

Both for me, I am a member of a private course here, but also play some on public courses with buddies. I enjoy both.

Public for me. I've really enjoyed the private courses I've played and may go that direction some day, but for now we play some really good public tracks.

I joined one of, if not the cheapest private club on long island because it became a struggle to get tee times and I was tired of 5 hour rounds. I've probably played more rounds so far this season than I have in the previous 5 combined. And 99% of them have been sub 4 hours. My only worry is that the club raises dues next year because they have also seen a jump in membership.

I will still play the occasional round at a public course with buddies on off hours but my days of teeing off on the weekend at 7:30am and getting back in at 12:45pm are done for now.

I’m priced out of private in my area. One of the closer private courses to me is “by invitation only”.

Thankfully there are also a vast selection of great public courses. And I’ve got a ton of THPers to play them with.

Joined private last year.

There are some good public courses in the area, but private courses tend to dominate in quality. There's a good range in the private courses as well, financially.

Public. The Wife and I recently looked into a private club that's close to us. As little as we play right now, we just couldn't justify the cost. Maybe after I retire and have more time to play.

Muni guy.

Living in NY, the privates are $$$.

Hopefully some day I'll join a private club,

Depends where you live. Club membership is very reasonable upstate. I had a choice of 4 very affordable, reasonably priced private clubs when I joined my recent club last year.

We pay for private, so I am a private club guy. I'm not partial to only playing private of course, but I do love the benefits of pace of play expectations.

Public. We have 2 private courses around me, one is a 9 hole and the other is way too expensive for me at this time

We pay for private, so I am a private club guy. I'm not partial to only playing private of course, but I do love the benefits of pace of play expectations.

#PushCartMafia needs @Canadan

#PushCartMafia needs @Canadan
We're in the stage of the year where it's pretty low on my radar, as the Ohio humidity makes 85 feel like pure misery.

I'll be back to being emotional about it in September.

Public. I just can't justify the cost of private yet although it is close for one course near me and almost close for a second. I have months where I spend what would be my monthly dues would be at the lower end club near me. But I also have months where I only get out 2 or 3 times. If I could pop out guilt free for 5 holes after work and have a great designated practice area as part of my dues it is definitely close.

The Bay Area also has a ton of great public courses.

If my daughter gets into sports like swimming, tennis and golf then the cost is totally justifiable and would save me money. At that point I will switch.

I only play private when invited. 98% of my rounds are public

Public as it gives more choice plus I can't afford private membership and don't know anyone close with a membership

Privete. Four minutes from my house. Love everything about it from the golf to the social aspect and i get to play a lot of golf.

Public course guy here. My home course is North Kingstown Golf Course in RI, a muni owned by the town of NK. The course, which was built by the Navy, is on what used to be the Quonset Naval Air Station. It is one of a very few courses known to have been designed by Walter Johnson. Johnson was an engineer for Donald Ross for nearly 20-years through the 20's and 30's, and apparently was responsible for formalizing sketches from Ross designs.

Public because the price was right for a family membership and offered access to two courses. One has dining (which we rarely if ever dine at) and both have pools. For what we pay it is a non brainer.

Depends where you live. Club membership is very reasonable upstate. I had a choice of 4 very affordable, reasonably priced private clubs when I joined my recent club last year.

Also depends on how you define "upstate!" LOL.....

Private for about 70% of my rounds but that will change in less than two years when my daughter graduates and I’ll be playing most of my golf at the 18 and 45 hole resort courses near our retirement home. We will winter in FL but so far I haven’t found a private course in Naples that is worth the price of entry so that will be public golf as well.

Public, most the private clubs around here that I would join are out of my price range. I also like playing different courses all the time.

Back