Are you a visual/feel player or data driven?

KEV

Proud 2018 The Grandaddy Alumni
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to fire up the Skytrak to play some virtual golf in a little bit and started thinking about how I'm not great at simulator golf because I need to see how far away from my target I am and get that real life depth, particularly on 100 yards and in and putting. On the flip side I have a buddy that only needs to know what the distance is and he knows how far he needs to swing his club, how much power, etc. People that can figure out what kind of swing they need based on numbers always amaze me.

I grew up on courses that only had 100, 150 and 200 yard markers and you had to figure it out from there. There was a lot of guessing and I actually got pretty good at it which I think is why I'm so visual these days and can figure out what my swing needs to do based on seeing what's in front of me.

What kind of player are you? Can you figure it out based on numbers or do you need to be able to see in real life what's in front of you?

need to see it in real life

I think it's a little of both for me. I definitely enjoy feeling the course and playing by intuition, but I completely understand the mathematical side of things. I think that's why I like Arccos so much - it paints a very clear picture for me so that I can use the information later on the course to play by feel.

Sim golf is good too - I just play by the numbers.

Both. I love data and can go down deep rabbit holes with it, but I have to depend on what I feel and see with my own eyes too.

On the course when it comes to gauging distance, hitting putts, etc., I'm totally a feel player. I don't have a 1/2 or 3/4 swing yardage nailed down with my wedges, I stand over the shot and "feel" how I need to swing the club for that distance. Which is sometimes great and sometimes fails miserably.

For the most part I'm a feel/visual golfer. I like the data for distances as I do have pretty good distance control with my irons. Once I'm inside about 80 yards though I'm all feel/visual from there and in with the wedge.

I would be interested in getting some more numbers from a sim and would like to start tracking stats to see where I can improve but it wouldn't overtake the feel.

I don't know what I'd do on a simulator. I also grew up with 100-150-200 yard stakes or numbers on sprinklers, I mean this is how you played. You guessed, you stepped it off. I'd have to go off of visual.

Reactions: KEV
I'm more visual, but I enjoy using LM/Data to back up/confirm what I am seeing.

What I enjoyed at my Grandaddy fitting in 2015 was that my fitter employed the same thoughts as me. We started with irons and hit a few combos, settled in to the final two. We had a favorite before jumping on the trackman. Once on trackman, we confirmed our choice and made sure things looked good spec-wise.

Visual for me. I do like to have an idea of how far I can hit a club before going to the course but I can/will adjust quickly once on the course.

I love data, but it doesn't tell you anything about a 50 yard shot. Both are required.

I think I am a pretty balanced mix of both.

I fall into the visual/feel type of player. i always want a general yardage, but I will trust my eyes more often than not. I guess this is why I am never good at hitting indoors.

I am terrible at judging distance. I really need some sort of number. Putting is different though. Totally a feel thing there for me.

Visual and feel..
I can watch Golf Swing videos for hours..
Clay Ballard...Paul Wilson.
I go to an instructor who video records my swings from the side and back..
Why isn't it easier than it looks?

I fall into the visual/feel type of player. i always want a general yardage, but I will trust my eyes more often than not. I guess this is why I am never good at hitting indoors.

i can never hit my driver indoors...

I am heavily data driven, but that is just my nature in life in general. The feel really only comes into play greenside.

Feel for sure. I have used a LM for various things but the real “truth” lies in the things I see on the course. I got caught up in the numbers a couple of years ago and regressed because that is all I was going by.

I am a data guy. I should be a more feel player but I am a number cruncher by heart and profession!

I’ve never played Sim golf so I’m gonna say I need to see it.

Data I think... if i have 65 to pin I'll hit a 1/2 swing sand wedge.For same shot if I try to do feel I leave it short 80% of the time.
I played a round without my rangefinder a couple of weeks ago and my shot selection was terrible - long and short.
although with putting and chipping I never look at distance, just feeling the effort needed.

I love data but I think I'm a feel player. All of my gear this past year was selected based on feel and visuals to my eye. Only numbers I had were from Arccos

I base everything on what I see in front of me. I see my chosen landing area, and pick a club that I think will easily go that far.

I was never a good enough ball striker to be able to hit balls a precise yardage every time.

Example being I see what I need to do, and my brain says 7I. I pull the 7I. Some times I might see a 7I, but will pull a 6I, or 8I instead. Better safe than sorry.

70% Feel with 30% Data used to back it up.

I’m a feel player more than anything. I find myself getting to wrapped up in numbers at times when hitting on the TrackMan at work. Whenever I get a little stuck with my swing I will go to the range and hit balls with no numbers to look at as this lets me concentrate more on feel and mechanics.

Back