Are You an Angry Golfer?

Probably about 10 years ago when my handicap was in the Lowe’s single digits are used to get very frustrated when I made a poor decision or just a poor shot. Since then I’ve outgrown that and I just laugh it off. Everybody has moments of two or three shots per found that just don’t work out so no sweat.

I played in a ladies league. Okay they were all proper.... Well until I came along. We're on the 16th hole. I got a GIR. lined up my putt and putted. It went perfectly for the hole and looked like it was going in. But just as it got to the cup, it hit a spike mark and deflected away. "You gotta be ******* kidding me," I said and tapped in for par and tapped down the spike mark. I got some looks like I'd crossed a line. Then Sandy putted and hers lipped out. "f**k!" she said. Sandy had played for years. And then everyone started behaving badly.

When I was younger I was. My perception of my skill was greater than my actual skill level. I made poor course management decisions because of this and wondered why a) my hero shot hadn’t come off & b) why my score card read so badly. As I’ve got older, played more frequently and understood my limitations based on skill I have found I am calmer and enjoy playing so much more.

I have a hot temper but have really learned to control it on the course. I never get too high or too low over shots, trying to focus on the next shot. This attitude has totally changed my enjoyment of the game. My biggest challenge is slow play. I still let it get to me and can't get past it.

I played in a ladies league. Okay they were all proper....
Reminds me of a story... Was playing a course the day before a competitive scramble, before I realized what they really were. Anyways it was a course we didn't play a lot. In our group was the wife of one of the guys running the tournament the next day. On the 2nd hole, she plays my ball. Mine was in the fairway and hers had rolled into the rough about 15' away. "Oops, hahaha, sooo sorry..." I really didn't think much of it. It was a casual round.

A few holes later I went to put my tee & ball in the ground, hit a hard spot and went 2" closer to the hole. The front edge of the ball "may"have been in front of the tee markers. If you tied a string between them it would have been on the line.

Well as I'm addressing my ball, Miss "Played the wrong ball" comes out of her cart screaming, "nope, nope... that wouldn't fly in the ladies league!" So I moved the tee and proceeded to hook a ball into the adjacent railroad tracks. I may have been angry that day...

Reminds me of a story... Was playing a course the day before a competitive scramble, before I realized what they really were. Anyways it was a course we didn't play a lot. In our group was the wife of one of the guys running the tournament the next day. On the 2nd hole, she plays my ball. Mine was in the fairway and hers had rolled into the rough about 15' away. "Oops, hahaha, sooo sorry..." I really didn't think much of it. It was a casual round.

A few holes later I went to put my tee & ball in the ground, hit a hard spot and went 2" closer to the hole. The front edge of the ball "may"have been in front of the tee markers. If you tied a string between them it would have been on the line.

Well as I'm addressing my ball, Miss "Played the wrong ball" comes out of her cart screaming, "nope, nope... that wouldn't fly in the ladies league!" So I moved the tee and proceeded to hook a ball into the adjacent railroad tracks. I may have been angry that day...

It's so true. I played with the guys so often that when I joined a ladies league I practically had to learn how to play all over again. The course gives the forward tees an afterthought. On one hole they had them in a spot where you couldn't get a flat lie. I mean seriously, you could choose between the ball below your feet or above your feet. And I asked if we could tee off from the Sr. Men's tees on that hole because at least it was flat and they were where our tees usually were. "NO!" "Okay, I just was asking because you've got to admit the teeing ground here sucks." "Just tee up and hit."

I tried to get a compromise lie. and sliced it way off into the very tall grass. Lost the ball. "Go back and hit another one. You should have hit a provisional." - I didn't know about provisionals then. "Two groups are waiting on the tee. I'll just drop a ball (in the rough near where it went in) and take a two stroke penalty." and I did it. This was before the rule change. One woman tried to get me DQ'd after the round for trying to get an unfair advantage, but Sandy, our club president said no. I didn't really care. As far as I was concerned they could consider my $5 a donation. But Sandy's decision gave me the win on the Net score competition which I thought was a little unfair, but whatever. I entered the score on my card, but the person on the HC committee went back to that hole and entered my ESC for that hole of 10 because I was still establishing my HC even though I bogeyed the hole. :ROFLMAO: Leagues & politics. I'm glad I don't play in one anymore.

Were I a Spaniard, I would be described as "fiery" and "passionate."

Alas, I am not a Spaniard, so I'm just angry. I can let emotions get the better of me, especially around the greens.

Back