Are you an average golfer for your age?

I'm 69 and better than the average! :cool:

Based off this chart, which seems a bit suspect, I am finally ABOVE AVERAGE at something. 42 btw.

My dad and all of his friends I play with are in their 70s andall of them fire off 80s routinely.

The course I normally play has a rating and slope of 70.0/132 from the Gold tees - 6136 yards which I normally play. White is 6636 72.2/138 and Blue is 6766 72.8/140.

It is a brutal 9 hole and has made me hate it deeply, but it definitely has taught me a lot and improved my game on normal courses. We often joke that there is not a level lie on the course to be found. 7 of 9 holes has water hazards. My average there is 92 for 18. I got a 39/42 one day and thought I had arrived. It was short lived. :ROFLMAO:

At age 50, I'm well below that average. Not sure I believe in this "study." :unsure:

Well, according to the data provided, my age group (69+) averages 91. That's a poor scoring round for me, by about 5-6 strokes on average.

That's not to say I don't shoot a 90+ on occasions. I just did a week, or so ago. Very poor effort on my part.

Fortunately, regardless of where I play, I usually shoot scores in the 83-86 range.

So I guess I'm better than average for my age playing from the whites.

Based off this chart, which seems a bit suspect, I am finally ABOVE AVERAGE at something. 42 btw.

My dad and all of his friends I play with are in their 70s andall of them fire off 80s routinely.
I play with some older guys and quite a number of them are in their 80s and although they hit from the next to forward tees they can play some amazing golf. one of them is over 70 now and is a 9 handicap and can drive the heck out of a golf ball.

I almost 60 and my index is 11.1. I shoot nearly every round in the 80s.

I'm below average & I'm ok with it. I just like to enjoy the game.

According to this data, I’m a freak of nature playing about one stroke per hole below their average for someone in their mid-60s.

However, as someone who plays in local tournaments I know better. There are plenty of golfers my age who play at this level.

Play a lot with older golfers now, and I don't see 'total score' as the best way to evaluate this. Wouldn't 'differential' be a better metric on the older side of the scale? IME us old timers are usually teeing off 500 to 1000 yards shorter than we did in our 20s-50s. Those short tees are generally rated and sloped a few strokes easier. Personally those average scores seem very high. I play much better than they suggest I should at my age (66) yet I'm often opening my wallet to pay off the other old timers who kicked my a$$ that day.

Last edited:
According to a study conducted by mygolfspy.com, the average golf score varies significantly by age.
For golfers 20-30 years old, the average 18 hole golf score is 89.7.
In the 30-40 age range those golfers averaged a round of 91.7.
At 40-50 years old these golfers had an average score of 91.5 per round.
For golfers 50-60 as well as 60-70 the average score per round was a 91.0.
Players over 70 who were in the study had an average of 93.2.

LOL. The average score varies significantly by age. 90-93 in 50 years. Someone needs to explain significance to mygolfspy.

I can tell you that based on those numbers I am better than average. I can also tell you I am right in the middle of the pack with the 150 player league i am in and probably upper half in AZTHP league.

Play a lot with older golfers now, and I don't see 'total score' as the best way to evaluate this. Wouldn't 'differential' be a better metric on the older side of the scale? IME us old timers are usually teeing off 500+ yards shorter than we did in our 20s-50s. Those tee boxes are generally rated and sloped a few strokes easier too.
That’s a good point. It’s also true that not all of us older players have moved to forward tee boxes, which is yet another reason to use a differential or handicap number.

The counter of course is that so many golfers don’t maintain a handicap, so it’s hard to get a true average if you use handicap information.

Based on those statistics and the other guys in my league, I'm worse than average, but not horrible. Based on the members of the general public that I see out there, I'm a bit better than average

For golfers 50-60 as well as 60-70 the average score per round was a 91.0.

Little below, I'm 56 and averaged 82.8 over approx 55 rounds this year

Hmm 🤨

Accoring to this, at my age (56 soon to be 57), I am about 14 strokes better than average.

So far it appears the higher percentage of posters are better than average based on the numbers given. Granted we don't know demographics and how the data was gathered, but there were other sites that somewhat hold the same average scores by age. I thought they seemed on the high side to me unless the data was pulled from difficult courses.

I wonder if this study was done with the once in a while golfer or the several times a week golfer? Also, was it done over a variety of areas and course conditions? I was looking over averages of a league I play with and these numbers were surprisingly close to what our league data shows for this year.

Our tournament rounds would be low 80s to a high of around 115, with most scores being in the 90s. Only a smaller group of golfers scored in the 80s. Out of about 40 golfers that was about 5-8 golfers during each tournament which is just over 10%.

Based on those numbers, which are highly curious, I should be making good money playing golf. Actual matches at my club, though, say "not so fast."

As @echico points out, hard to reconcile only a 3 stroke average difference from lowest to highest, even factoring in different tee distances, and only a 1.3 stroke difference between the 20-30 age group and the 50-70 age group. :unsure:

The numbers don’t jive with my personal experience but I’m happy to be under average in this case. Guess It shouldn’t be surprised since I’m from an area “ where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average”. 🙂

So the average 20-something is only 3 strokes better than the average 70+ player? 🤔. More info required on this data before I accept it a “study” 🤣.

So the average 20-something is only 3 strokes better than the average 70+ player? 🤔. More info required on this data before I accept it a “study” 🤣.
Yeah, it seems a bit suspect to me. I might have to hunt down some comparable info to see what I find. I may stumble on something that would really make me a bad golfer :ROFLMAO:

LOL. The average score varies significantly by age. 90-93 in 50 years. Someone needs to explain significance to mygolfspy.

I can tell you that based on those numbers I am better than average. I can also tell you I am right in the middle of the pack with the 150 player league i am in and probably upper half in AZTHP league.
I agree completely. I was surprised to see how tightly grouped the age bracket’s scores were.

I went through my last 20 rounds and averaged my 18 hole rounds at regulation course. I averaged exactly 91, which is their number on the nose for a mid 50s golfer.

I always want to know the methodology used in any study before deciding it's legitimacy (or lack thereof). So, I'm with you there. But rationally, most 70+ players have much better short game and course management skills than 20-somethings. Also, by that age a lot of folks have given up the game either because of frustration, significant physical limitations, or health issues, and those who haven't have moved up to forward tees. So rationally, the small gap in average over age doesn't set off bells and whistles for me.

Turning 75 in a month...shot my age about 10 times this year playing from 6200 yards - I don't go forward tees plays toooooooooo short. And if you think 6200 yards is short - try playing here in Seattle at sea level in cold temps and your ball plugs in the fairway due to too much Rain. A long drive here is 220 yards right now -- in Las Vegas the same drive is 280 yards. So want a golf challenge - play Seattle golf course in November.

Back