Are you an over the top swinger?

VA. Vince

SC bound...
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: 15.1
I have been fighting this since I started playing. When I slow my swing down it's a world of difference but thats the problem, slow it down. For me it's a mental deal, swing hard! I have recorded numerous range sessions and when I swing at or below 80% I have a half way decent looking swing and good results. When I get my alignment sticks out and really relax and swing I have great results, when I get to the course it's off. What I have done is trying to take my practice sessions as if it were tournament play and my on course rounds as if it's practice. This has helped as I have used this mentality in other sports but it will always be my battle. So how do you deal with the dreaded over the top swing? Have you just adjusted your game to it? (many have) Or is it your nemesis that will just be with you as long as you play?

I got rid of my OTT move by learning to swing out to first base/right field. Picture the ball as being on home plate and swing out to right field, not across to left field.
Actually got that tip here on THP and it was a game changer.

Most of the time I am. I've taken lessons to really reduce that move and when things are going well it's gone or close to it. However there is usually an iron shot or 2, mostly with like a 7 or 8 iron, that I come OTT and pull the heck out of each round.

I do come a little over the top, it's part of my swing now and when I try to fix it I get a serious case of the lefts lol.

I got rid of my OTT move by learning to swing out to first base/right field. Picture the ball as being on home plate and swing out to right field, not across to left field.
Actually got that tip here on THP and it was a game changer.
Same here, I use that tip a lot!

Are you an over the top swinger?

Not anymore, I now swing from inside, and when I focus too much on my hips I hit straight right

My most common miss is a block straight right

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I will admit to the "Over the top" portion of that. I hope to have this corrected very soon through a series of lessons.

I'm slight OTT and I don't think that's an issue. Primarily because I don't believe in a 1 plane swing.

Does make my driver problematic, however. Driver you want to swing inside out.

I fight it, and it's typically when I'm trying to "get after" one.

I saw a tip in a magazine recently that said to envision throwing an uppercut with your back arm. Over-the-toppers throw more of a right hook.

Over+the+Top.jpg

Ha, I will think of Rocky when swinging now.

I definitely am an OTT swinger. Have been trying to implement the "swing to (left) field" swing thought and it has garnered mixed results. Just need to get some more range time.

Use to be but Golftec took care of that

Sent from my DROID X2

I was. I went from this:

To this:

[video=youtube;zVhF-us8JFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhF-us8JFs[/video]

It took me well over a year to make that change. It was really difficult.

Guilty as charged. What fixes it for me is to make sure my trailing elbow is pointed down towards the ground furing the backswing, and doesn't ride diagonally up. My trouble is that during a round I don't always remember this move.

I was- BADLY. That was the first thing we worked on in my swing eval; planing out my swing

I am an OTT swinger. Best thing I'm doing is working with a friend who is a teaching pro. I'll also video tape some range sessions for him when he's not around for him to look at. I found it tough to do on my own, all the tips weren't working by myself. Having a trained eye helping has been great.

What is OTT? I mean how do you get there?

I used to come over the top a lot. I used to take practice swings at the range like Jim Furyk, and that actually helped a lot.

I still struggle with it occasionally -- I like to swing my wedges and short irons pretty upright and straight down the line (at least that's the feel to me). But with the longer clubs, that either results in snap hooks or chunks. So I've started to feel like I drop it down a little at the top (not sure how much I actually do it, but as far as how it feels to me, think what Rory has been doing at the top or even Sergio). That has helped with the tee shots a lot. It probably looks a little funky, but I'm following Arnie's advice, and swinging my swing!

Lessons have helped me a lot in this regard.

I used to be terrible with the OTT swing with my driver! But with lots of practice this winter and and several drills swinging to first base and the water bottle just to the outside of the ball has helped me out tons and now I play a draw with the driver.

What is OTT? I mean how do you get there?

For me it's the start of my downswing. Casting 101, swing hard and I cast or Come OTT. When I can relax its not perfect but really changes to a more inside out swing. It can make the game of golf very frustrating when I hit massive pulls, divots literally pointing way left. It's a work in progress to correct and I will get it done but damn it can be frustrating.

For me it's the start of my downswing. Casting 101, swing hard and I cast or Come OTT. When I can relax its not perfect but really changes to a more inside out swing. It can make the game of golf very frustrating when I hit massive pulls, divots literally pointing way left. It's a work in progress to correct and I will get it done but damn it can be frustrating.

You are right, it's a cast or a throwing of the arms out at the ball. Try pull the club into the ball by pulling the butt of club down. If you pull the but of the club instead of throwing the right shoulder out, you will be more inclined to get the club into the slot. The other swing key is to pull the left should toward the target, this will also drop the club into the slot.

Get to the top of your swing and pull down on the butt of the club. The is a good starting point and will help you hold the angle created by the club and your hands. As long as your upper body continues to rotate through the ball, you should be good.

Good stuff Freddie, thanks for sharing some tips! I gotta work at getting the club into the slot better, still have a tendency to come OTT and get a nasty pull at times.

Back