Are You Captain Material?

This is an honest reponse, and i love it @JDax Because, noone really knows if theyre "ready" or even able to captain a team or not. Youre gonna kick ass man!!
I think that the final verdict on whether someone has what it takes to be a great Captain is ultimately determined by their Team and the THP Universe following along for the ride.

@MattyD-MPLS is one of my favorite Captains of all time, and I was just following along at home.

I think that the final verdict on whether someone has what it takes to be a great Captain is ultimately determined by their Team and the THP Universe following along for the ride.

@MattyD-MPLS is one of my favorite Captains of all time, and I was just following along at home.

Thanks brother! I was fortunate to have 12 other rock stars on my team that made it very easy!

I've been lucky enough to have the chance to captain a team, and I'd love to do it again. I think I learned a lot since then - both from that event, talking with others who've been in the role, and from my roles at work. I think I did a pretty good job at that event (outcome notwithstanding), and I think I'd do a lot better the next time.

Anyway - haven't been around as much as I'd like to be - new job eating in to a lot of my mindshare, but hoping to change that.

You did a fantastic job. I think your captaining style fit your personality, and we all appreciated your solid steady leadership.

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?

Can you flesh out what you mean a bit?

Can you flesh out what you mean a bit?
Meaning I think our experiences are different than just “rally around me”. They also include a community sense and incorporating thousands following along both prior and during

Meaning I think our experiences are different than just “rally around me”. They also include a community sense and incorporating thousands following along both prior and during

gotcha.. hmm. This is a tough and layered question.

With those awful grips, you are closer to REJECT status than CAPTAIN status:ROFLMAO:
Fair! Haha. I will just go back to my primary thought on participating in any experience on this forum.. “be present, not perfect”..

I think I learned a lot over the last year on what it really requires to be a captain of a THP team/experience. It’s not just showing up, that’s for sure. I think I learned a ton following some experiences along, especially the ‘11 Grandaddy team. But it just feels weird saying that I do or don’t think I would be captain material. I hope I would rise to the occasion.

I hope I would rise to the occasion.
this is a deeper message than probably even meant, but I genuinely think most would. That’s what makes this place great

I think I'd need to attend a THP Experience first before I know what it takes to be a captain!

I think I learned a lot over the last year on what it really requires to be a captain of a THP team/experience. It’s not just showing up, that’s for sure. I think I learned a ton following some experiences along, especially the ‘11 Grandaddy team. But it just feels weird saying that I do or don’t think I would be captain material. I hope I would rise to the occasion.
You without a doubt in my mind would make a great captain.

Last edited:
I really think @Davidhibler has embraced this and really set the bar high for fit captains of THP events

I think you would do an amazing job as a captain!

Avoided posting when this was up previously as I had only been involved in a single event up until that point but feel as though the two greatest things that should be done is community engagement throughout not just ramping up in the upcoming weeks I think it takes time to build up community buy in an investment in the event, and then helping create and cultivate honest feedback through the team for the equipment being tested or the experience at hand.

I'll be honest and say that I've been personally missing that feeling in the forums.
It's nothing to do with THP though! It's all been me and my recent lack of participation.
But given the opportunity, I think I could rise to the occasion.

Being a Captain for any event means there is a little more special involvement in the forums.
That person's username is a lot more noticeable around the forum and so that exposure is something to really think about.

I'm not sure if I'm Captain material or not, but I really liked how @jdtox drove home, almost immediately, how important it was for our team to be active on the forum in all threads and not just our Morgan Cup thread. Then as the clubs came in, review them and then the closer the MC got, the more it became about updating during the MC and taking all those following along on the ride with us. I think this is just as important as putting teams together in the big picture.

Last edited:
I think you would do an amazing job as a captain!
Watching your Grandaddy crew and then getting to hang out with you was really enlightening as to what it takes.

I'm not sure if I'm Captain material or not, but I really liked how @jdtox drove home, almost immediately, how important it was for our team to be active on the forum in all threads and not just our Morgan Cup thread. Then as the clubs came in, review them and then the closer the MC got, the more it became about updating during the MC and taking all those following along. I think this is just as important as putting teams together in the big picture. Of course I wanna win tho. ;)

Getting in other threads and being in the Live Threads lets others know you are supporting their experience! Great advice!

I think it encompasses a lot of the same traits, just extends them a bit further. As a captain you might be engaged on the forum quite a bit but getting the team as a whole to buy in can be a different challenge. The team text/discord will always be hopping but some of that needs to translate back to the board if you want the masses watching and invested. There has definitely been some groups over these past years that have been more successful with this than others.

Just like golf, setting and example and practicing these in the lead up to the event will lead to better engagement during and after. Which is a win, win.

I’ve learned a lot about leading people over the years. 20 years as an ER nurse and 19 years of those as a charge nurse. I can and will say something that those who have gotten to know me know that I can be a hot head. I made changes after the Morgan Cup. Jose from Cobra Golf didn’t reach his level without doing something right. @jdtox was awesome. I’ve taken little things into my daily work. Not major changes but I see some things a little differently. Not that I didn’t before, but I look for those things now. Before I always just hammered the nail when sometimes it just needs a little glue.

Watching your Grandaddy crew and then getting to hang out with you was really enlightening as to what it takes.

All I kept thinking is "Hold onto your butt and don't screw it up!"

Back