Are You Captain Material?

Having the new question for this to pertain to the community and not just the squad, starts BEFORE anyone is even selected. It’s essentially an ambassador to the forum. As all participants are but seeing as a captain is chosen, it’s more an above and beyond kind of thing.

As you said with a few of the Grandaddy contests. It’s not something you drive by and do. It’s participation, support for other THPers and their experiences and all around positivity and being present.

It all starts here on the forum.

I hope I would rise to the occasion.
Same for me. If I go in, I go all in, so not succeeding is not really an option with my personality

I'm not sure if I'm Captain material or not, but I really liked how @jdtox drove home, almost immediately, how important it was for our team to be active on the forum in all threads and not just our Morgan Cup thread. Then as the clubs came in, review them and then the closer the MC got, the more it became about updating during the MC and taking all those following along on the ride with us. I think this is just as important as putting teams together in the big picture. Of course I wanna win tho. ;)
yep. Being a THP Captain is an art. there is such a balance to getting the participants to experience it in their way, yet also engage the forum. I'm definitely learning from the master.

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?
Meaning I think our experiences are different than just “rally around me”. They also include a community sense and incorporating thousands following along both prior and during
I've always felt that THP was a special community, where each event isn't just about the participants, but instead about every single person here. I think that's why I enjoy the live threads so much - that it feels like we all get to be involved, and right there with those in attendance. And that these threads live on; they can be re-read to experience those special moments again.

I also do agree though, that there is a sense of team for some experiences where there is a captain. In fact, I think it's necessary for the competitive nature of those events. Everyone wants to have fun, play their best, but there's also something special about winning a THP trophy! I can only imagine how proud I'd be to display some hardware won at a THP experience! Having been the captain of several sports teams, you need to find out what motivates your group. Some produce better results through encouragement, and support, while others thrive when your captain is leading by example.

So that comes back around to the question: are my thoughts changed if I consider community rather than just the team? I'd say no. In fact, I went back and found my original post in this thread, and I still feel the same way today. Ultimately, there is a balance. And for anyone who hadn't read it back then, this is what I wrote back in November of 2021:

Having followed along experiences on the forum since joining in 2018, and especially over the last year or so, I realized that being a Morgan Cup Captain is something that I wanted to pursue. I have especially enjoyed reading the candid posts of past Captains as they share their experiences; using these to glean information as to what really makes a great leader for such an amazing opportunity.

I think what really sounds fun with the 2022 Morgan Cup is that we would have nearly a full year to build the team, engage with the forum through reviewing equipment, planning course play, and completing member introductions and Q&A's.

Ultimately, I believe that I have what it takes to be a good Captain.

All that said, I think there are some phenomenal THP'ers here who would make amazing captains. I know they'd rise to the occasion.

Having the new question for this to pertain to the community and not just the squad, starts BEFORE anyone is even selected. It’s essentially an ambassador to the forum. As all participants are but seeing as a captain is chosen, it’s more an above and beyond kind of thing.

As you said with a few of the Grandaddy contests. It’s not something you drive by and do. It’s participation, support for other THPers and their experiences and all around positivity and being present.

It all starts here on the forum.
Great post. I wholeheartedly agree!

I didn’t answer this question before but with JB’s new question I have some input.

I like to think that community engagement is one of my strong points personally. I think I know how to get people excited and want to follow something. I also know that I post, a lot and again like to think those posts have value here.

That said it is so much more difficult to do all that I’d hoped and planned to do for the community once I touched down in TPC. It was my first experience and as the great Mike Tyson says ‘Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth’. TPC punched me in the mouth.

I wish I would have live posted more, done some short off-course videos, and done a better job bringing THP along for the ride. I hope I get the opportunity some day to give it another shot now that I’ve got the first experience nerves out of my system.

I didn’t answer this question before but with JB’s new question I have some input.

I like to think that community engagement is one of my strong points personally. I think I know how to get people excited and want to follow something. I also know that I post, a lot and again like to think those posts have value here.

That said it is so much more difficult to do all that I’d hoped and planned to do for the community once I touched down in TPC. It was my first experience and as the great Mike Tyson says ‘Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth’. TPC punched me in the mouth.

I wish I would have live posted more, done some short off-course videos, and done a better job bringing THP along for the ride. I hope I get the opportunity some day to give it another shot now that I’ve got the first experience nerves out of my system.
You did fine.

Nah, I’m a great teammate and can engage like crazy, but I’m self aware to know my fit.

I believe I am, as long as winning isn’t the main criteria :beat-up: But man, I don’t know if I have that in me any more. Captaincy has got a life of its own and an offer shouldn’t be accepted without some real deep thinking.

I understand and appreciate that there is an “obligation” to not only the team for the experience but also to the forum. There are many people who are invested in the experiences who are not participating. I think it’s important to build a rapport with both the participants and the forum members.

I love @BigDill and @JB ’s thoughts on rising to the occasion.

There are so many great people on here that would be great captains. But who will rise to the occasion when rubber meets the road.
You don’t have to re-invent the wheel, but you also could if you wanted to. The blue print is there. The shoes are one size fits all. But who will step up to the occasion and do the things that make the event special and that involve everyone here?

Those are the people’s captains.

I love @BigDill and @JB ’s thoughts on rising to the occasion.

There are so many great people on here that would be great captains. But who will rise to the occasion when rubber meets the road.
You don’t have to re-invent the wheel, but you also could if you wanted to. The blue print is there. The shoes are one size fits all. But who will step up to the occasion and do the things that make the event special and that involve everyone here?

Those are the people’s captains.
I’d like to know. Who was captain in Pickled Fizzle?

gotcha.. hmm. This is a tough and layered question.
You would be a great captain at an event. I have a feeling you’ll get your chance sooner or later.

As for the question I think being on the board talking, keeping the team engaged, loving gear, and being a bit of a hype man for your event all play into it. Luckily we have had a lot of great captains on the board to lean back on for support. Their stories are all documented here so there is plenty of stuff to read up on.

And I said this in another thread, but I think it deserves repeating here. After spending some time with @xThor , I would nominate him for the captain of the THPeople. You cannot spend time with him and leave unchanged for the better.

I’d like to know. Who was captain in Pickled Fizzle?

Batman- @BigDill
Nightwing (not robin)- @Afizzle2100

Pickled Fizzle would have not been the same without @BigDill . Not a knock on myself, as I had a whole lot of fun but some people naturally rally people with just their energy and that is who @BigDill is!

I feel like Robin would be a fun name change

I couldn’t live up to one word names out here like “powder” so idk if robin is going to work lol @Mmaynard11

Although a name change isn’t out of the question for me if the name fits!

I couldn’t live up to one word names out here like “powder” so idk if robin is going to work lol @Mmaynard11

Although a name change isn’t out of the question for me if the name fits!
Fizzle must remain

Fizzle must remain
Robin Fizzle sounds like someone who fills in for Spyder Harrison on the weekend top 40 show.

Nope- I’d be a good assistant to keep things on track, organized and make sure people know what’s going on- however I don’t possess the knowledge or skill set to be able to lead a team at a THP event.

You would be a great captain at an event. I have a feeling you’ll get your chance sooner or later.

As for the question I think being on the board talking, keeping the team engaged, loving gear, and being a bit of a hype man for your event all play into it. Luckily we have had a lot of great captains on the board to lean back on for support. Their stories are all documented here so there is plenty of stuff to read up on.
It would be fun. Being part of the granddaddy with captain @Davidhibler i have seen a great example.

I think I am captain material having learned from the best.

Back