Are You Captain Material?

Maybe I am thinking differently, but I look at it as more of are you the person that enjoys interacting with other forum members. Do you come here and are actively participating in the live threads. Do you enjoy posting not just the reviews, but also are engaging in other review threads.

There are so many THPers here that are Captain material and I hope to meet some of them. I have been incredibly lucky and have an amazing captain and assistant captain this year. They are perfect models of what makes a great captain here for a THP Event.

Batman- @BigDill
Nightwing (not robin)- @Afizzle2100

Pickled Fizzle would have not been the same without @BigDill . Not a knock on myself, as I had a whole lot of fun but some people naturally rally people with just their energy and that is who @BigDill is!
Can I just say that I love the Nightwing (not Robin), I’m a huge Nightwing mark.

Having the new question for this to pertain to the community and not just the squad, starts BEFORE anyone is even selected. It’s essentially an ambassador to the forum. As all participants are but seeing as a captain is chosen, it’s more an above and beyond kind of thing.

As you said with a few of the Grandaddy contests. It’s not something you drive by and do. It’s participation, support for other THPers and their experiences and all around positivity and being present.

It all starts here on the forum.
This is amazing and thank you for sharing this line I bolded. Going into my first event I read through a few of the threads about what to expect (and what not to do) and this was something that stuck out to me, the stories of people going through an event and bailing after, or selling equipment, etc. Being selected for an opportunity to represent the forum and an OEM at an event is something I’m very proud of, and l hope I did an okay job by both Edel and THP of reporting at the event and beyond. Being a captain is a whole other ball of wax, as I think you would be expected to lead not only here in THP but out on the golf course and at the event as well. Do I think I have what it takes? Maybe. We’ve had some amazing examples here so far that have set the bar incredibly high and I’d be nervous about living up to peoples expectations.

Can I just say that I love the Nightwing (not Robin), I’m a huge Nightwing mark.

Nightwing is freaking awesome, I was really pumping myself up :ROFLMAO:

I don't know that I'm captain material either but I definitely believe it's about engaging not only your team but the forum. Give the people who aren't in the event a reason to root for your team, give them a reason for them feel apart of your team from their phone/ computer as they follow along. Being a team leader is about being a quality teammate. If you are a true leader, no one will pick you apart from your teammates. William Wallace wasn't a great leader because he sat in a tent and made plans, he was out front leading the troops!

Last edited:
This is a fun discussion and love the thought of how it pertains to the community. Obviously community engagement for the captain is important and spreading the love to the other events. I think one of the main things, if not the main thing, is realizing that the team as a whole, and the whole team engagement, is what is most important. Every team member doesn't need to be in every thread, but you never know what having just one person active in a particular thread can do. Once someone interacts with a member of the team and then sees they're a part of an event, they immediately have a bigger connection to that event. We all love THP and connecting with people on here, but there's always a little something extra to following an event when you've crossed paths in some way with some of the participants. You continue to spider web those connections out and it just grows the closeness and cohesiveness of the community.

Uplift your team mates. Engage with the forum. Banter with the opponents. And have fun. Experiences are special.

I think I learned a lot over the last year on what it really requires to be a captain of a THP team/experience. It’s not just showing up, that’s for sure. I think I learned a ton following some experiences along, especially the ‘11 Grandaddy team. But it just feels weird saying that I do or don’t think I would be captain material. I hope I would rise to the occasion.
What would you do if one of your team members didn't support DH and thought the current system was flawless?

The world is full of managers. Leadership, on the other hand, is a much less common skill.

IMO, true leadership requires a certain level of skill in the endeavor at hand. It requires the ability to honestly assess the positive and negative traits each team member brings to the table. That includes yourself.

I'm not skilled enough at golf at this point in time to lead and still focus on my game enough to perform even OK. 😁

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?
Absolutely it should never just be about just your squad! If you’ve been around this place for awhile it should make sense. Involve the masses!

Im ready!

What would you do if one of your team members didn't support DH and thought the current system was flawless?
I would support them, encourage them to post their thoughts in the thread, and then explain to them why they are wrong.

I couldn’t live up to one word names out here like “powder” so idk if robin is going to work lol @Mmaynard11

Although a name change isn’t out of the question for me if the name fits!
Watch it pal! Who doesn’t like a little…

I think I learned a lot over the last year on what it really requires to be a captain of a THP team/experience. It’s not just showing up, that’s for sure. I think I learned a ton following some experiences along, especially the ‘11 Grandaddy team. But it just feels weird saying that I do or don’t think I would be captain material. I hope I would rise to the occasion.

I nominate @BigDill to be the people's captain. Having attended two events together, I am qualified to say he is a phenomenal human who wants every person at the THP event to have the best time and would be a great leader of any Grandaddy team.

I started my original answer with heck yea and I think that remains the same when looking at captaincy from the THP community perspective. The lunatic fringe is hungry for these experiences with the golf, the equipment, the courses, the competition, the swag, and of course the food. Thousands of posts in a matter of days during the live update threads and thousands more in the equipment threads following experiences. This is basically as close to being a rockstar as I could ever be.

I don’t think it changes my thoughts as off the jump of this thread it‘s about trying the best to get your team to engage with the forum and the forum to engage with your experience and team.

And that becomes easier the more you engage with other experiences and reviews. You can start to see the various ways folks engage and react as there are different ways to get to that end goal.

I'm naturally a pretty introverted person so my first instinct is to say no. But after some thought, it's about way more than being an outgoing person. There is so much more involved. I would definitely embrace it and I believe with this community it would be almost impossible to fail. The people here are such a strong family atmosphere they would pick up anyone and make them a great captain

I have been able to have two great captains. They make it look easy and engage everyone and the forum. It's an art!

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?
Meaning I think our experiences are different than just “rally around me”. They also include a community sense and incorporating thousands following along both prior and during

THP is SOOOO much bigger than an experience or a golf match over a couple of days. This is something I've come to realize over the last year.

THP is a place where we all come together as a community to discuss what's important to us (golf) and many other things.

My response doesn't change much in the fact that first and foremost we must be good stewards of the community here.

Our job as a captain is to gather the WHOLE community around a cause (an event, experience, etc). We must focus our efforts in giving what we're leading a sense of purpose and a way to actively engage the community and people who will be intimately involved.

I'm naturally a pretty introverted person so my first instinct is to say no. But after some thought, it's about way more than being an outgoing person. There is so much more involved. I would definitely embrace it and I believe with this community it would be almost impossible to fail. The people here are such a strong family atmosphere they would pick up anyone and make them a great captain
For what it’s worth, I’d jump at the chance to be on a team you were captain of. Your actions towards me on day 1 of the Quest Cup showed me a ton of the traits I would want to see in a leader. These events are about more than just golf.

I would do a lot of very questionable things for the opportunity to be a captain again someday. 🤣

I look at this question a bit different after being A member of the The Morgan Cup with @DataDude being our captain. He did did a fantastic job and really showed our team what it meant to be a great captain. There’s so much more then what meets the eye. Now bring in the community and it’s a different animal all together. It would be big commitment for sure, but one well worth it!

I nominate @BigDill to be the people's captain. Having attended two events together, I am qualified to say he is a phenomenal human who wants every person at the THP event to have the best time and would be a great leader of any Grandaddy team.

Have to agree with you @jfox789 regarding @BigDill. He definitely understands and appreciates what Experiences truly are. It’s more than just golf; it’s people too. And he connects with most, if not all, at the Experiences. I’m happy to have spent a few days with him playing golf and hanging out last November.

I'd love to think I could be a good captain, but I also know it would be a huge challenge. There's a lot to it I know. We have some fantastic examples to learn from, so that definitely helps. I know I'd love the chance, but also know there's some great THPers that I know would make better captains than I.

I would do a lot of very questionable things for the opportunity to be a captain again someday. 🤣
You just tell me when and where.

The opportunity to smile, hug, banter, and post (hopefully) positive content on THP is one of the great gifts that golf has brought me. More people need that. As captain, the duty the to bring the team into whatever awaits, in the most capable and effective manner possible. To me, there are two key components.

1: Expectations. As captain, your role isn’t to dictate expectations, but help lead the team into developing a full understanding and commitment to expectations that we set on ourselves and each other. Every member of the team plays a part to achieve the success that they lay out as their team’s core belief, whether that be winning something, or sometimes more importantly, just experiencing something together, and sharing that to the community that got us there.
2: Engagement. Engaging, buying-in, however you want to describe it, the Captain will serve as the steward of the team to help make sure everyone feels a part, and can help play their part in the expectations. First, as a member of the team. Second, as a member of the community. And Third, as a member of the experience. These three of engagement within THP help to create a successful team for an event, and help make sure expectations are met.

Being part of these events is a privilege, and truly a dream come true scenario. Where else can you wake up to a flood of notifications that your life is changing in the best way possible?

I would love the opportunity to be a captain of something at some point. I have loved so much being a part of a team in the Grandaddy, and to have the opportunities to meet and enjoy the company of THPers and those who share in this passion. To take a game, and make it into something more, where people remember back to the small conversations, the specific posts, the smiles when something new comes out, and then take the opportunity to etch those moments into permanence in a THP post. But also going beyond that to just being involved in the community in general. There are so many topics and threads that make me think, smile, laugh, or end up just curious. Becoming part of those has led me to so many new facets of life and golf, and those should continue to be discovered and shared with the community. Not just in a product post, or a live round update, but just talk getting involved in the thread conversation as if you would at a group dinner or out with a group of buddies. And if there isn’t enough of the content you’d like to see or be part of, you can create and bring the opportunity to share it into existence. Pretty amazing and wild stuff (and I’m not just talking about the polls that end up in the Random and Off Topic subforum).

The responsibility of being a Captain and helping to create and share life changing experiences like those I have been a part of, is not something I take lightly, but I would love the opportunity to experience at some point, and inspire others to be more engaged and build those bonds and memories like those that I cherish, and continue to contribute and give back to the community that has given us so much. We are social creatures by nature, and recognizing the core benefits of being on THP as a place to help relive moments across the forum, and help create new ones. To be a part of something so unique, and share it both physically and digitally, with people from all walks of life, from all over the world. How freaking cool.

Back