Are You Captain Material?

Honestly, to lead a THP team is not something I feel I could do justice to, but that is just due to my location more than anything else

To lead a THP team requires a commitment to more than just the team, the captain needs to have the team be able to bring the rest of the forum along

For what it’s worth, I’d jump at the chance to be on a team you were captain of. Your actions towards me on day 1 of the Quest Cup showed me a ton of the traits I would want to see in a leader. These events are about more than just golf.
I appreciate that a lot man. hearing it from someone who was on another team in an event is pretty great. Maybe I should have let you keep sweating a bit longer :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure I don't give myself enough credit. It's hard to really know until you're put in the situation, but like I said before, with just about any group of THPers I don't think the captain would fail. Most of the people here care too much for the community to just leave a captain out on an island

Have to agree with you @jfox789 regarding @BigDill. He definitely understands and appreciates what Experiences truly are. It’s more than just golf; it’s people too. And he connects with most, if not all, at the Experiences. I’m happy to have spent a few days with him playing golf and hanging out last November.
Same here my friend. What a great weekend.

To know what is involved in getting an entire community involved and backing a team that they really do not know other than reading their, for lack of a better comparison, emails.....is hard. Having run some big campaigns company wide, its hard to rally people in remote locations without constant communication and calls. Thats why seeing @Davidhibler having calls and video chats with our team has been so great. Having team mates that are hungry fora win and wanting to be a part of something bigger than themselves helps....Folks, this is like the olympics, ryder cup all rolled up where we root for people we don't even know!
For me, i want to be a part of it big time, if that turns out to be a team mate, great! if its ever selected for Captain, Better! but no matter what, i will back the team by being a part of the live thread! that is how WE ALL CAN HELP !

I appreciate that a lot man. hearing it from someone who was on another team in an event is pretty great. Maybe I should have let you keep sweating a bit longer :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure I don't give myself enough credit. It's hard to really know until you're put in the situation, but like I said before, with just about any group of THPers I don't think the captain would fail. Most of the people here care too much for the community to just leave a captain out on an island
Haha well I’m glad that you didn’t, because I left that event with a boatload of confidence and have had a very successful season since. @jvbart shared a quote in the experience thread to the effect of “plant trees you’ll never see”. In my opinion, that’s a huge part of what a leader does - uplifting those around them more than just in the short term. I had a guy in our mens league group a few weeks back thank me at the end of the round for being positive to him through a tough stretch of holes and keeping his good time alive. I’m glad I get the chance to pay it forward.

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?

That's a very interesting question. To me, seeing what @DataDude did for and with us at The Morgan Cup. I think a captain has to not just be the visible and vocal leader to the community for the team, but also must work to ensure the rest of the team is constantly engaging. I really like what @Davidhibler is doing this year, helping to introduce team members - it serves as another touchpoint for the community.

Being active on the forums is one thing, and the team members must also constantly engage reviewing the gear and equipment they get. I think the captain isn't the person going around demanding those things, but inspiring their team and finding new and fun ways for the community to feel they are a part of the ride and get that fun excitement throughout the leadup to events.

Personally, while I can do those things, I'd like to participate in another experience before I stepped into that role. The first one was a whirlwind blur, I was learning how to be at a THP Experience and what was asked of me while participating. I think if I ever get into another one, I would be able to relax a bit more and observe how we engage with the community which would serve me well if I was ever chosen as captain for an experience.

The cool thing for this forum is there are lot's of great choices for captains. I think many in this thread would make great captains. I can't wait to see who gets the call in our big events next year. Going to be a lot of fun.

Haha well I’m glad that you didn’t, because I left that event with a boatload of confidence and have had a very successful season since. @jvbart shared a quote in the experience thread to the effect of “plant trees you’ll never see”. In my opinion, that’s a huge part of what a leader does - uplifting those around them more than just in the short term. I had a guy in our mens league group a few weeks back thank me at the end of the round for being positive to him through a tough stretch of holes and keeping his good time alive. I’m glad I get the chance to pay it forward.
One of my favorite quotes! That was the biggest thing in my mind heading to the Quest Cup. Doing my part to make sure everyone in the event has fun, supporting Edel and making sure to get thorough feedback, making sure the forum enjoys the follow, and most importantly doing our part to get the event back for another year so more THPers can experience the awesomeness.

I would agree a huge part of being a captain is leading those efforts for your team.

My organizational skills are lacking and I'm a bit of an introvert, so probably not good captain material.
Now, If my wife could Vice Captain.........

Yup still think I could and would enjoy the opportunity. Was able to be part of another amazing THP experience a few weeks ago and have gained a lot of experience in events over the years and participating in all the live update threads.

Bumping this back up to discuss. Now I’m altering it to how it pertains to this community more so than how it pertains to just your squad. Does that change your thoughts?

I think this is a huge change and is way more than getting a group of people on the same page. You still have to get your squad rowing the boat in the same direction, but also need to get the commnity engaged and rooting for you.....

I do think I could do it, but it is a lot more than most of us realize as I have watched the previous and current GD captains do a great job of it.

Right now, yes it does change my thoughts. With so much going on in my background THP is kind of a feast of famine for me. I'm off site or doing something non THP related for days or weeks at a time and the last thing I want to do after 16 hours of work is get back on a computer, even if it's for entertainment. Doesn't make me a bad THPer or person, just busy elsewhere - it happens to everyone.

Before my world was shattered - I would have said yes, I was able to get more into the in-the-moment conversations and items but now I'm always catching up the day after or two days after or getting up early to find out what happened yesterday in the live thread and doing more lurking than posting some days or even weeks.

To be a captain I would want to be more engaged with the community as a whole, which right now I am unable to do. In a month or two it'll change but currently it's a bit fierce with the competition for my attention.

I would love to be a captain of something, I think I could do it and if necessary I can make the sales pitch but so can 100 other people on this forum who are all wonderful examples of humans. There's a lot of great picks and a lot of great personalities and each one would bring a unique experience to their captainship.

I think a lot of folks on this forum could lead a team and be a competent leader. The community aspect I think will take more than some think. Like @Davidhibler is doing with the meet the team is a big step in keeping the forum engaged. I found out first hand how hard it is to enjoy yourself and the event and live post and keep the forum updated, and I think others have found out as well either due to cell service, or just enjoying the event.

Just name the team Tacos and we are golden. :ROFLMAO:

I have been more active in the last few quarters, not the top dog of course but active. I have tried the whole starting posts things with a little success. I am not a cheerleader but if we need things to discuss then I can frame things out there. I am an organized person so I do plan tasks for projects pretty well. If it is a long journey you can't punch yourself out in a month.

This thread revival has been fantastic. So many good answers and plenty of captain material here

I've thought long and hard about how I would answer this as I've answered it differently in the past. My day job is building high performing teams and leading organizations though needed transformations and I thoroughly enjoy it. I believe I am capable of being a captain and have the skills required but in this context I would rule myself out. The Morgan Cup was the event that changed me from a lurker to an active member of this community and will always have a special place in my heart. I've been fortunate to see some amazing examples of THP captains (@MattyD-MPLS as our 2021 Grandaddy captain (@dacatalyst41 as our AssCap) and @jdtox and @Canadan in the Morgan Cup).

I see the amount of time and effort that they put in to bring a group of guys from all over together and ensure they all have an amazing experience. The time they put into firing up the forums and getting those at home invested in the fun and cheering us on. Rallying the team to keep them engaged leading up to, during, and after the event. Ensuring no one goes in with the wrong mindset and misses out on the fun and fellowship. Keeping the group united and talking for years and years afterwards. I gained so many new brothers from these experiences and have seen what it takes so I don't take it lightly. I'm grateful for the captains I've had and all that they've done and continue to do. I would be honored if I was ever chosen to captain a team and try to do the same for another group of THPers. But with my current work and family commitments I would not be able to fill the role as this community deserves at this time. I look forward to cheering on the next captain and group of guys going.

Back