Are You Captain Material?

I think so, I have been lucky to be a captain on a few things, including an event here. But I will say, I think it is not sure if harder is the right word, but I think it requires more intent and a plan. There are a lot of moving parts, and you aren't able to sit down and talk with people face to face on here. So need to find a way to make personal connections over space to do what needs to be done before the event starts.

Then when the event starts you want everyone dialed in and ready to go, not just from a golf standpoint, but also from an engagement aspect as well as having a good time while doing everything.

There is a live update thread going on right now

Why do you guys insist on giving away all my secrets? How am I supposed to 3peat? :ROFLMAO:
I actually almost spilled a big secret, and literally had to erase it. You have a solid plan in place. No need to change it.

There's a LOT of unseen things that go into being a captain. Its a leadership position in every way, but that doesn't just mean being the loudest. Like the iceberg principle, I would say that 75% of the work of a captain in an event like this is under the water, while only 25% is visible - and even less than that is actually appreciated or understood.

Engagement is probably the biggest thing - with the sponsor, with THP, and of course with the members of the team. So much of that is behind the scenes, but if it is done well, with a solid plan, and executed over the long haul, it can have a tremendous effect. Sustaining interest and excitement for an event over the off-season and prepping for the event can be a big challenge. Everyone is excited once Morgan Cup week rolls around, there's not a lot that needs to be done to stoke that fire. But keeping the furnace hot and well supplied throughout the cold winter months and leading up to the event itself is what really makes a good captain.

I think there are lots on THP that could do it. But I think there are significantly less that will pull it off if given the chance.

I feel I would be a great captain, learned from the best @DataDude! I feel I have the passion for the game, the brand and most of all, the people that make this community great! I am definitely up to the task! Would love the opportunity!

I think I could be. Some of the things involved are a regular part of my life. With my focus shifted to it, I'd give it the same level of dedication and respect I do those things.

Following the experiences the last couple years has been great for seeing different styles and approaches the captains take, and learning the history and tradition of it all. Honestly, I'd just love to get in one. There's a ton of great captain candidates here that I'd gladly follow. Either way I'd be all about it.

One aspect of a good captain, help your teammates get to peak form at the right time, as evidenced in the arccos dive I did tonight. You can likely guess which rounds were the in the red circle.

MC peaking.JPG

I'd love a chance to go at @jdtox with the greatest Ass Cap I can imagine, @Master Yagley to bring the cup home!

The 2021 Morgan Cup opened my eyes to a great THP tradition that my goal is to have the event return in 2023, ensure Team Hackers feels this is the best event they've ever participated in, and raise the Morgan Cup in victory Sunday afternoon!

I'm not the loudest or most talkative guy in the room....but ask Team Hackers if I'm right guy for this job!

No matter who's chosen, best of luck to anyone who is honored to be able to participate in #TheMorganCup 🙏🏻

I'd love a chance to go at @jdtox with the greatest Ass Cap I can imagine, @Master Yagley to bring the cup home!

The 2021 Morgan Cup opened my eyes to a great THP tradition that my goal is to have the event return in 2023, ensure Team Hackers feels this is the best event they've ever participated in, and raise the Morgan Cup in victory Sunday afternoon!

I'm not the loudest or most talkative guy in the room....but ask Team Hackers if I'm right guy for this job!

No matter who's chosen, best of luck to anyone who is honored to be able to participate in #TheMorganCup 🙏🏻
I like you and have full faith you would do an awesome job, but I’m not sure I’d support you in that role, because I like you and don’t want to see you lose to Paradise again 😜

(and maybe a little scared you would stop the three-peat)

I wish I could quit reading this thread as, “Are You Captain Marvel”

lots of good captain material people in the thread.

Very much enjoying reading through every one of these

This looks like fun! Can I go to play Monday morning captain....please please please....

I kid. These are tough shoes to fill. Hopefully someone that is a good fit gets this.

If we are discussing what I believe all our great Captains have had in common in one word it would be Commitment.

In each event I have followed, the Captains I remember all had that aspect in spades.

Commitment to their team’s enjoyment, interaction to each other, to bring an experience to each that lasts forever.

Commitment to the forum, to bring the THP community along for the ride, to learn what they don’t know and to express that back to all.

Commitment to the company sponsor, to giving totally honest opinions, to the competition.

Most of all, Commitment to the past and eventually future participants. To honor those that have laid the path by making sure the event continues for others. You always feel how much joy and pride the past Captains express once they find the event will continue toward a future team. It’s the smiles of those that played prior, during their tenor, and those that jump to enter the upcoming that truly has made some of the greatest Captains I have seen on THP.

That is what I believe makes a true Captain for THP.

If we are discussing what I believe all our great Captains have had in common in one word it would be Commitment.

In each event I have followed, the Captains I remember all had that aspect in spades.

Commitment to their team’s enjoyment, interaction to each other, to bring an experience to each that lasts forever.

Commitment to the forum, to bring the THP community along for the ride, to learn what they don’t know and to express that back to all.

Commitment to the company sponsor, to giving totally honest opinions, to the competition.

Most of all, Commitment to the past and eventually future participants. To honor those that have laid the path by making sure the event continues for others. You always feel how much joy and pride the past Captains express once they find the event will continue toward a future team. It’s the smiles of those that played prior, during their tenor, and those that jump to enter the upcoming that truly has made some of the greatest Captains I have seen on THP.

That is what I believe makes a true Captain for THP.
This is a really good post. Commitment is a great commonality amongst Captains.

ok, I'll be the one to admit it...while I would do anything to participate in an amazing event such as the Morgan cup, I don't think I would want to be a captain in my first experience. I'm fairly new to THP and I would like my first experience (if I ever get lucky enough to be chosen) to just be able to enjoy the comradery, golf, and the entire experience without the added pressure of being a captain. Maybe after I've been here longer, gotten to know people more, etc, that might change.

I'm not even participant material, but I hope that everybody has a great time!

Being a captain comes with a huge responsibility. It is a lot of time and effort to gel with your team and make sure the engagement of the forum is taking place and that your team is bonding. Being a leader is hard but worth it when your team comes together as one unit win or lose. I run a successful team and in a high stress business. I try to lead by example and there is no job i wont do to help them out at anytime. We are in the top 1% in the country for volume and i absolutely could not be there without them. I always try to lead by example for my team.

I think i could be a captain at some point in an event. I would only ever consider it if i had the time to dedicate to the event without question. Being newer to golf competitions there is still so much for me to learn about pairings, formats etc. It has been fun to watch these live events and learn. It would be an absolute honor to captain and event and someday i hope to get the chance to represent.

I've had great fortune in my captaining experience here on THP. It's lead to a lot of learning, success, and memories.

The one thing I think I would struggle with right now, is personal reliability. There was a time where I was prepared to hit any type of shot in any type of situation. I've got some work to do to get back there, especially with my driver. I believe this would be challenging to captain the way I want to without having that ability.

Sounds kind of silly, because handicaps should balance everything regardless, but it's a feature I was always very proud of.

I've had great fortune in my captaining experience here on THP. It's lead to a lot of learning, success, and memories.

The one thing I think I would struggle with right now, is personal reliability. There was a time where I was prepared to hit any type of shot in any type of situation. I've got some work to do to get back there, especially with my driver. I believe this would be challenging to captain the way I want to without having that ability.

Sounds kind of silly, because handicaps should balance everything regardless, but it's a feature I was always very proud of.
If you were the captain, could your team refer to you as CapDan?

What a great job @DataDude did. You’ve got some huge shoes to fill!! Can’t wait to see who will captain the victorious Hackers

I think so, I have been lucky to be a captain on a few things, including an event here. But I will say, I think it is not sure if harder is the right word, but I think it requires more intent and a plan. There are a lot of moving parts, and you aren't able to sit down and talk with people face to face on here. So need to find a way to make personal connections over space to do what needs to be done before the event starts.

Then when the event starts you want everyone dialed in and ready to go, not just from a golf standpoint, but also from an engagement aspect as well as having a good time while doing everything.

Am I captain material? Not yet. But I'm working on it. 🤷‍♂️

Back