Are you competitive?

I am competitive and love teeing it up with something on the line. It pushes me to practice when I can. If I could only devote the time to it, I think I could be pretty darn good.
I'VE ALWAYS TOLD GUYS THAT WANT TO GET BETTER. PUT SOMETHING ON THE LINE YOU WILL FOCUS MORE.

You mean the swear jar? :p
That woman could not afford a swear jar.

She would walk into a bar and 5 minutes later sailors and bikers would run out covering their ears, LOL

I'VE ALWAYS TOLD GUYS THAT WANT TO GET BETTER. PUT SOMETHING ON THE LINE YOU WILL FOCUS MORE.

Yea that. ORRRRRRR. You come apart like a Walmart card table. :LOL:
Bogey on 18 will get me a 79. Makes a double.

Very. I don't understand how anyone can do anything and not do their best. I hear people talk about "having fun just being out with friends" and I understand that, to a point. However, for me, I have much more fun if I'm out with friends and playing my best. If I just wanna be out with friends having fun, then I can do that without introducing golf into the equation.

Doesn't matter what I do or who I'm doing it with, I'm competitive. Golf, Monopoly, Scrabble, Checkers, running, driving, underwater basket weaving.... you name it, if I'm gonna do it, it's gonna be a competition.

Been told I was cocky on the course. I think in am confident and yes very competitive.

I'm competitive and want to win, but I don't let losing ruin the day. Sometimes you get beat, sometimes you hit bad shots. I am not going to stress out because I don't have it one day. I can't stand playing with people that get bent and angry about playing poorly. That ruins a round of golf quicker than anything for me. So I guess if you are equating competitiveness with stressing over every shot and every result I am not like that.

. I can't stand playing with people that get bent and angry about playing poorly.

Among too many scratch level (or pretender) players, that is a major problem. And there is no good reason for it.
I know a few guys who regularly shoot 72 or better and their personality behavior is fine as long as they're making pars and birdies. But after a bogey or two these guys start to sulk , which is selfish behavior and poor golf etiquette.

Last edited:
I used to SO competitive! I HATED losing! I wanted to beat EVERYBODY even in tiddly-winks! I played college football. I wanted to out run , out jump, out hit, out ANYTHING to be the best! Golf,EVERYTHING! Until I had a life threatening illness. After that I started to enjoy just the everyday things. Now, I just try to have fun. Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy beating the next person, but that's secondary to enjoying the process!

Only with my demons. The challenge the last several years has been to not take this game so seriously.

In most sports, I try to not be overly competitive. I used to laugh at those who took men's softball so seriously, for example. I mean, c'mon. You go out and you play hard, but in the end.... its softball! Same with flag football, tennis, pick-up basketball games and such.

I like friendly competition. A little trash talk is fun as long as there's a reasonable amount of good sportsmanship mixed in. Even if there are a few bucks on the line, as long as I've put in the effort it's ok if someone kicks my butt.

Occassionally, someone will piss me off and I'll want to beat them regardless of the sport or game. It's only happened once in golf and it felt good to outplay them.

Only really at board games. All but about 10 of my rounds of golf in my life have just been against myself and I don't beat up myself too much.

In the past I’ve seen a great deal of poor behavior in competitive endeavors, (not golf), I’m done with those type of people. Any more it’s just me and ole man par, I take that competition very serious.

Among too many scratch level (or pretender) players, that is a major problem. And there is no good reason for it.
I know a few guys who regularly shoot 72 or better and their personality behavior is fine as long as they're making pars and birdies. But after a bogey or two these guys start to sulk , which is selfish behavior and poor golf etiquette.

I played with one of those a lot earlier this year. It's no fun. No one shoots the score they'd like to every day. True personalities are shown in the failings.

I'm competitive, but not like I was when I was younger. Now I like to put something,/anything on the line because it makes everything more fun.

I've never really been competitive with other people, usually it's just with myself and trying to shoot the lowest score. I have to try not to beat myself up after a bad hole or round, which can be hard.

However, I did recently have a match play round with a friend for $5, which was a first for me. I definitely enjoyed it but also didn't take it too seriously. I can say that every hole mattered, especially the putts and it really allowed me to focus on shots compared to just trying to shoot the lowest 18 hole score. Makes me want to play this format even more!

Like most golfers, I like winning. However its not that important to me. What I enjoy is hitting the ball the best I can, and watching others in my group do the same. As long as the weather is nice, the cigar is burning pure, and the conversation and BS in the foursome are flowing nicely, I'm a happy guy!

I’m pretty competitive with myself in always want to do well but I never get upset when I mess up as I have the attitude that I may have 2 or 3 stinkers a round so no big deal.

I do play in a couple of Ryder Cup team events each year where it is competitive and fun with lots of trash talking between holes. As well every Friday afternoon we have a foresome where we play a match 2 vs. 2 where’ve determine teams by throwing up a tee. The match has a lot of trash talking and no one wants to lose so competitive fun.

When I play in our region’s intersectionals or other single tournaments usually all serious playing with guys you don’t know so typically game face is on but I find best to just relax and enjoy the event. No matter what even the scratch golfers **** up once in awhile....they get just as nervous.

I'm not nearly as aggressive as I used to be when competing. I've really tried focusing more on just enjoying the game and that's trickled over in to my competitive rounds. I can still turn it on but it's not like it used to be.

Back when I was playing in my peak years, I always played better when I was playing for something. Pressure usually improved my focus and execution. If I had nothing on the line, I tended to be lackadaisical or ambivalent about a result.

Not in golf. I'm competitive in a lot of other things, but golf doesn't bring it out of me.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I am really competitive when it comes to most things.

However, with golf, I really don't care what the people around me are doing or how they are playing. I feel like I am competing against myself and the course.

truth be told, i don’t like it. at all. i love to focus on playing golf. enjoying my time learning the course. trying to good shots for my own personal enjoyment. i do not need anything to make it better. it’s annoying enough to play golf poorly, but add a loss on top of that and well it’s like double bummer haha

I’m very competitive in everything I do. The thrill is what drives me

I'm only competitive with myself, if I'm playing like sh"t, and know I can play better I get frustrated. I just can't get down with gamesmanship, or smack talk. I'm generally a nice guy, and I don't turn into Jekyll & hyde when I get to the course. I've played with people that HAVE to win, it doesn't matter at what they just have to win.

I hate losing more than I enjoy winning....by a mile.
This my exact thought!! If I am going to play a game I am going to try to win.
Most of the time the competition is internal.

lots of replies here seem to suggest that being competitive and enjoying the game or playing well are mutually exclusive.

they're certainly not...for me anyway.

Im competitive. I hate to lose and I want to be the best. I think thats what really keeps me interested in golf because no matter what you do, you can never truly, "beat" golf.
No matter how well you play or how good of a score you shoot, you can never truly win because you can always get better and theres always something that happens when you could have handed it better or played it better.
Its funny though because when I say that Im competitive, Im not competitive against other people so much as I am competitive against myself. The only person whom I compete against or compare myself to is the man I was yesterday.

Back