• I play Left-handed & I'm Right-Eye Dominant

Votes: 9 8.5%

• Total voters

Grins

AMDG
Reaction score
Handicap
20ish
I'm hoping for some insight from my fellow THPers!

My 7th grade son has to do a science project that investigates some urban legend/"common knowledge". I once heard that about 10% of the general US population is cross-dominant (right-handed & left-eye dominant, or left-handed & right-eye dominant), but that it was about 30% in major league baseball players. This is presumably because being a cross-dominant batter puts your lead eye facing the pitcher, and therefore it should be easier to see pitches coming.

I was thinking that being cross-dominant might also be an advantage for golfers.

Here is how you test yourself to see which eye is dominant:

To find your dominant eye:
1) Hold a piece of cardboard or paper (that has a small hole in it) at arm’s length and look through the hole at an object across the room. (You can also make a small "hole" using the space between your thumb & forefinger of both hands).
2) a) Don’t move the cardboard. Cover/Close your Left eye (leave your Right eye open): If the object “vanished,” you are left-eye dominant.
b) Cover/Close your Right eye (leave your Left eye open): If the object “vanished,” you are Right-eye dominant.

If you could also post:
a) What your handicap is,
b) Did you play varsity High school/college baseball?
c) Did you play any other sports?

Thanks guys!

I'm right handed and right eye dominate. My GF is Right handed and left eye dominate and my buddy that I shoot with is the same way.

A) HDCP +2.2 trending to +1.7
B)Didn't play HS Baseball. Only Little League
C)Played Varsity Football( receiver and TE)and ran Varsity Track( High Jump, 110 Hurdles, 300 Hurdles and Discus)

Last edited:
I'm right handed and left eye dominant

1) I'm cross dominant. Right handed but left eye dominant

2) I'm between a 4 and 6 hdcp
3) I did not play baseball
4) I played varsity golf in high school

a) What your handicap is - 4.8
b) Did you play varsity High school/college baseball? - No.
c) Did you play any other sports? golf and swimming

I am right handed and left eye dominant.
If you could also post:
a) What your handicap is, 12.7
b) Did you play varsity High school/college baseball? Not HS ball but played travel ball until I was 18.
c) Did you play any other sports? I threw shotput and discus and played a year of football.

I'm RH/right eye, although I use my left eye when I shoot.

Handicap is 9.5
I played slow and fast pitch softball for a couple summers in HS/college
I play volleyball and used to play Ultimate Frisbee

Right handed, left eye.
HC 9.2 going up to 10.2
Played baseball thru H.S.
Not for school but leagues, played basketball, bowling & archery (started shooting LH & done better + could shoot both eyes open)

I am left handed but right eye dominant.

Baseball / Golf / Hockey - right handed

Tennis, throw - left handed

I am not cross dominant, in that I am right handed and I am right eye dominant.

However, as far as "stick-in hand" athletics go, I am mainly left handed - I shoot left in hockey, I bat left in baseball, and I shoot left in golf. Although in tennis, I am right handed.

On the other hand, in basketball, I free-throw right handed. In soccer I am much better kicking with my right foot.

Go figure.

I am a 37 handicapper.

I played no sports once I moved on from elementary school.

I played various sports in elementary school and I have only dabbled in softball and curling since high school.

Last edited:
I am right handed/footed and left eye dominant.

a) Handicap is 8-10 ish (8.9 presently)

b) I did not play baseball in High School or beyond.
c) I played hockey and soccer.

-right handed
-right eye dominant
-no baseball (couldn't hit the curve)
-played varsity football and soccer
-hcap is 11.2

I am right handed and left eye dominant.
Handicap is an 8.
Played varsity football, basketball, and baseball.
Also played golf.

I'm cross dominant. Right hand and left eye.

I play to a 10 currently.

I played baseball up until middle school. Made some travel select teams but gave it up for other sports.

played soccer, football, basketball, and water polo at one point or another. Played lacrosse from elementary school through college.

I am right hand, right eye.

My 11 year old son is right hand, left eye dominant.

He is good at golf, baseball, football, basketball, and video games.

There are quite a few things he can do left handed. He is almost ambidextrous.

Jack

Right hand, right eye. Handicap 15.6 no varsity sports basketball, billiards and darts

Left eye dominant and I play right handed save for putting which I have recently gone lefty with... we'll see how it progresses but so far, it has been good. When I used to putt righty I'd putt cross-handed (left hand low).

Right handed and right eye dominant. Cross eye dominance does make it easier to line up putts but it is not difficult to make set up adjustments with your putting if you are not cross eye dominant. I'm glad I'm not cross eye dominant because it makes it very difficult with wing shooting.

+0.3 index
Did not play high school baseball.
I did play college golf and was offered a few college ski scholarships but didn't take them. Stupid me.

Last edited:
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Another way to tell is hold your hands and make a triangle around a object and than close one eye and than other, object will appear in triangle with dominant eye. Learned that in CCW class

I'm cross-dominate, left eye dominate play right handed.

Baseball/skiing/golf

Right eye/right hand.

Handicap is 14.8 according to my app.

Played varsity baseball in HS.

Played varsity football through college, varsity basketball in HS.

Right handed. Left eye dominate. Also left footed FWIW.

High school and a little college baseball but I was a terrible hitter. If it was an advantage I sure wasn't using it!

Right handed left eye dominant
play around 10-11 for most of this season
played baseball (shortstop) was a decent hitter when the pitch was not throwing low and inside that was my I cant touch the ball zone.

I did find it to be quite the advantage in the military and using a red dot sight such as a aim point or eotech. With both eyes open when I would raise the rifle up I would not have the rifle blocking any of my view. All I had was a floating red dot like in a video game. Put the red dot on the target and fire. I did not have to look threw anything my brain just compensated. It was a very strange thing at first but then I found it to be a massive advantage. Not as much with iron sights. With that said I am able to almost switch eye dominate. If i hold something up that blocks the area of where I want to see like in the test you listed I line up naturally with the left eye dominate but I can keep both eyes open and focus and see it with my right eye and the cardboard will become almost translucent and I can move it over to when I am looking through the hole as well with my right eye. I was told it was because I have 20/20 vision in my right eye and 20/15 in my left so my brain uses the clearer picture most of the time but I can focus in on the right eye if need be. What does all this mean for my golf game? Alignment is a real pain in the butt!!! one day Im pointing miles left, or miles right or straight. If i am lined up where I thing I am swinging good scores happen if not I will subconsciously reroute the club at the top to try to fix it and who knows where the ball will end up. I do not see it as a advantage to golf. Makes putting harder and play tricks with your mind if you use a alignment line. When you stand over the ball it will look miles off but dead straight from behind so you have to trust it and take all the feel out of putting. The only thing it helps with me is keeping my head behind the ball.

I am left eye dominant and right handed.

1. 9.5 handicap
2. Did not play high school baseball
3. Varsity letter in 4 sports

Tidbit: While I generally play sports right handed, I write left handed and am ambidextrous in soccer. In the military I qualified with my weapon left handed, due to eye dominance.

Thanks everyone for your responses so far. It sure looks like the percentage of cross-dominant THP golfers is pretty high! Not exactly a random sample though; but higher than I would've thought.

Keep them coming!

Back