Are you guilty of overcompensating?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Here are some possible scenarios that have happened to me and I am guessing I am not the only one.

You hit a shot thin so you overcompensate and hit the next one or more way too chunky and lose the distance. You align too far left with your driver so the next one you hit it way right OOB. You pitch way too short of the green so the next one or more you hit way long. You putt 5-10 foot past the pin so you start putting way too short. You hit nice pin high shots way left, so the next ones are way too far right. You top a wood off the tee and next shot you scoop way under the ball so not to top it again losing distance. With most of these shots you gained nothing.

I am guilty of overcompensating instead of just the right amount of compensation that would result is a great shot. I think my worse overcompensation is when I hit a thin shot. I tend to dig too deep on the next couple shots instead of the just right strike. You could call it over adjustment as well. It amounts to the same thing in my mind.

You guilty too?

Honestly...not really, for the most part. I usually look at any really bad shot as an outlier (I have plenty of just normal bad shots I consider as usual) and keep swinigng thinking the next swing will probably work itself out. There are times where I do get in my own head and start dissecting and trying to counteract a really bad shot (especially if I hit a couple of really bad shots in a row or within a couple of holes).

I try not to, I line up where I feel comfortable to the line I choose.

I've been there, but it has been a while. I'd like to think when I hit a bad shot now (all too often), I can back off, figure out what I did wrong and decide what I can do better. Not saying I can execute after I decide, but that's the process.

Yes. I found that out in my range session. It's what's been killing my short game. It gave me the "yips."

What I'd been doing: My right arm had not been loose enough and had been getting stuck. I had been over-rotating through the ball and pulling it. Solution - pulling the right foot back to get the hips out of the way. Straightened the flight out. Then I started flipping to help the ball into the air and fatting shots and skulling the ball on pitches and chip shots.

What I did: No gimmicks. Normal stance. Noodle arms. Right arm really loose. Overcompensating loose. Just making the shot. Clear the hips. Clear the hips. Ball goes to target. Done.

No, not really. When I hit a poor shot, i don't worry about changing anything. I will swing the club the same way on the next shot.

If I hit two, or more poor shots in a row, I will take a longer club, shorten my swing, and hit punch shots. If I need a bit of carry distance, I will take a longer club and hit flops.

Eventually I will come back to the swing that caused me grief, and it usually has fixed itself. .

i mainly notice when i chunk one from a greenside bunker and don't get it out. the next one almost always gets out....and then some.

I think most have this happen at some point, it’s the nature of the beast with golf. Minute things make massive differences, so it’s easy to overract.

I don't know that I OVER compensate, but if I hit a shot I'm not pleased with I'm tweaking something on my next shot. Maybe I change my grip, stronger or weaker, move my ball position or even try a different swing thought. I doubt that I hit too many shots in a row without changing something.

I'm stubborn and most of my mistakes come from lack of focus/laziness, so I try to do whatever went bad just like that again, but fully engaged next time. If that one goes like hell, then I'll start adjusting something with the potential to overcompensate. I'm more likely to just do it slightly less bad in the same way though. Stubborn.

I probably overcompensate

I think most have this happen at some point, it’s the nature of the beast with golf. Minute things make massive differences, so it’s easy to overract.
This. It happens to everyone, but the longer you play and better you get the less often it happens.

Even tour pros hit an occasional sh@nk, fat, thin shot. It’s usually not shown on tv unless it’s a real stinker.

Here are some possible scenarios that have happened to me and I am guessing I am not the only one.

You hit a shot thin so you overcompensate and hit the next one or more way too chunky and lose the distance. You align too far left with your driver so the next one you hit it way right OOB. You pitch way too short of the green so the next one or more you hit way long. You putt 5-10 foot past the pin so you start putting way too short. You hit nice pin high shots way left, so the next ones are way too far right. You top a wood off the tee and next shot you scoop way under the ball so not to top it again losing distance. With most of these shots you gained nothing.

I am guilty of overcompensating instead of just the right amount of compensation that would result is a great shot. I think my worse overcompensation is when I hit a thin shot. I tend to dig too deep on the next couple shots instead of the just right strike. You could call it over adjustment as well. It amounts to the same thing in my mind.

You guilty too?

Don't change anything unless bad things are becoming repetitive.

Mostly with driver, lately it’s been consistently inconsistent. The course I’ve been playing most doesn’t have a range. My opening drive or two almost always go right, generally the only time I intentionally play a fade. I attribute this to me not being entirely warmed up.

I usually then hit a couple straight or slight draws. By then I’m warmed up good and usually start losing a shot or two a little more left than I’d like (I usually wave at Stalin as I continue left).

My round rests on if I can reign that back in. At least the driving part of it. I have many other areas that can derail a round as well.

I'm usually pretty good about not making any compensation after one bad shot. As inconsistent as I am I'd be so far down the rabbit hole early on the front nine if I tried to adjust after each bad one.

I try to just focus on making a good swing for the next shot(s). Every time I start trying to play 'Swing Doctor' out on the course, it just makes things worse rather than better.

I do it sometimes with my driver. I will usually hit a push and then the next one will be a crazy hook. Doesn’t happen too often but it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, I know my swing pretty well and if and when I hit a bad shot I usually know what I did wrong and make the correction on the next shot.

Not often, but it happens. A slice will not normally follow a hook but I tend to underclub and then overclub on the next shot for the same distance. Just inconsistent contact for the most part.

Perhaps the most common is not being able to hit my pull draw all day with the Driver until there is a lake on the left, perfect pull draw everytime.....

Yes usually on the club face meaning if one is thin there is going to be a fat one following. Also on driver ifni hit in the bottom of the club I most likely will hit the ground the next time.

Thin to chunky...occasionally

I may have done this on occasion, but I’m much more often guilty of not compensating at all. When I’m topping the ball I usually just keep on topping it. When I’m digging trenches I don’t stop digging. Part of this is just trying to stick to my process, but another component is a lack of awareness as to what I’m doing wrong.

Back