Are you ok with getting paired with others right now?

Curious as to THPers thoughts on this. Last minute decision this morning I thought about playing. Checked online and saw tee times available, I called and they said I’d have to play with others as they won’t let singles go out alone? Another course shows the same thing, twosomes is the smallest group they will let go out. I think this is ridiculous in general but especially now.

I decided not to go play today but in the future this might be something a single golfer may have to consider.

What do you think would you be ok getting paired with some rando’s right now?

Locally, golf has become more popular than ever, because our courses are open and almost all other recreational activities are closed still. They also have spread out the tee times. Thus, nearly all tee times are booked now and it would be impossible to get out as a single.

I have no problem with it because I am walking and just keep my distance. I still think it is about as safe as anything you could do, other than sit home.

ya I have no problem with it. Ive been walking all my rounds since this started. have played with probably 5-10 different people so far? all of which drove their own carts so I was no where near them the whole day really. even on the green I was always making sure I stood on one end or well away while they putted if our golf balls were near each other.

I would not be worried about be paired with others. You can stay away from them and not feel bad.

I totally respect anyone’s decision to not put themselves at risk. Do what you are comfortable with.

Sure, bring them on!

No issues at all. We were required to go from 7/8 min tee times to 10 minutes. There is no way you can even get out as a single. Pretty rare to even have 2 go out. You will get your own cart though. A golf course is also easy to stay 6 feet apart

Separate carts, wouldn't bother me. Golf is the perfect social distancing sport.

I go out by myself all the time. I hope to get paired up. NOW.... as long as I have my own cart, I am playing.
i prefer to have somebody with me, helps me find the ball.... another set of eyes, even in the fairway.

I see a few folks saying “strangers? No.., but friends, yes”.
What’s the difference? If someone is asymptomatic, they are asymptomatic. Whether it’s your wife, child, best friend or a stranger. Any one of them can be contagious. And with a close acquaintance you are probably MORE likely to slip up and get too close, high five, grab his balls, etc... (pun intended).

I’m fine with meeting most people as I go on a single most of the time. Have made a few new friends that way. Keep our distances and all is good

One thing that will feel odd playing with strangers is I will feel like I am being rude. I don’t think I can really look with another person if their ball is off and harder to locate. Additionally, standing farther away or at my cart while they are on the tee. Plus, other ways of social distancing. It just will feel very odd for me to play that way.

Yet, playing is still better than not.

I will add- For the most part- if you were EVER closer than 6 feet to someone who is driving the ball, putting, hitting an approach, or taking ANY swing at all, you are a "crowder". Other than touching hips in the cart (if riding), you should be further away than 6 feet in the first place. I've played with a couple of crowders and have to tell them: "whoa, we're not dating, and I'm not paying for your teeth if you get creamed". Most don't even realize they're doing it and others are just being dicks.

Just called the course I'm playing Friday afternoon, they said they will pair people up is if its a single/single. They are currently limiting groups to 3, and I have a partner, so I think that's a fair practice.

I mean think about it.... There are 800,000 people in the county. There are just over 1000 documented cases. What are the odds? I can't draw an outside straight when I need to and that's 16%.

I play solo all the time as I don't have any friends or family who golf. I'm very used to getting paired with strangers and it doesn't bother me. Most times I'll give them the option to either play the round with me or after the first hole they can let me go on ahead of them so they're not with somebody they don't know or care to know LOL. I don't think I've ever really had a stranger or group who was adamantly opposed to golfing with me because they don't know me.

If they brought plenty of beer, yes. :p

I don't mind getting paired up with someone for now. The 2 different courses I have played in the last week both had a 1 rider per cart rule so it's not a real issue and can maintain a good social distance.

Now, if they start relaxing that one per cart rule too soon and I am expected to ride with a stranger, I will likely have an issue with that and would just walk and carry clubs.

Well I have to update as we were paired with a couple guys last weekend. They were nice guys and totally fine and respectful of the rules pertaining to social distancing. Being outdoors I guess there isn't much to worry about unless someone invades your personal space which shouldn't be an issue. They were also carrying so they quit after 9 holes

The more I think about this, the less concerned I become. I think I'll be okay with being paired with others. I'll be walking and will have no problem maintaining proper distance from anyone and everyone. And the virus doesn't know or care who you're friends are. You're taking the same chance that the person you are playing with could be asymptomatic whether you know that person or not.

As an older golfer with some health problems (heart, diabetes, etc.) I would rather play alone until the corona 19 situation clears up. I'd rather not take a chance on getting something that could kill me. The course I play more often than not is fine with singles and they also let me pay the cart fee and bring my own cart so I don't even have to use a cart that someone else has used.
.... now, if my game would only improve.

My answer before getting out to play Saturday was "heck yes". But after being @time4tim and I got paired with a gent who I would say had a near gumpian IQ and zero respect for personal space let alone the social distancing directives I am not so sure.

Actually I am sure that was the exception that proves the rule, we will see, another friend and I are supposed to go out as a twosome this afternoon so will be interesting to see if we get paired up with anyone else.

No problem at all. I'm going to get it, no real way to avoid it and not become a total hermit. I won't be running up to people to chest bump, or anything, but, it's fine.

Some people can't seem to grasp just how far apart 6' is! Most drivers are in the 45-46" length. Take a driver in hand and extend it out with a straight arm and you are close to 6'.

Some courses are only taking tee times for 3 or 4 and in advance with advance payment. With guidelines as to how early to show up for your tee time the course is able to have some semblance of control over the number of people waiting around or in the practice areas. One of our local courses got shut down for a couple of days - they had so many walk-ons show up and milling around waiting to get paired up that "social distancing" went right out the window.

I'd be fine. I think I've practiced social distancing on the course with strangers anyway with the exception of grabbing the flagstick.

Back