Are you ok with getting paired with others right now?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Curious as to THPers thoughts on this. Last minute decision this morning I thought about playing. Checked online and saw tee times available, I called and they said I’d have to play with others as they won’t let singles go out alone? Another course shows the same thing, twosomes is the smallest group they will let go out. I think this is ridiculous in general but especially now.

I decided not to go play today but in the future this might be something a single golfer may have to consider.

What do you think would you be ok getting paired with some rando’s right now?

I am fine with playing wiht others. As long as everyone is following the same guidelines.

If you are in separate carts or walking then you are fine. Can someone get in your 6ft zone while you are playing? Sure but you can control how close people are pretty easily on the golf course. I have played 3 rounds as a single joining groups and have had no issues with anyone.

Now if they made you ride in the same cart then pass.

Great question. On the fence on this. I am in NY, so No for now. For an area not impacted as badly, I would be OK with it.

I don't want to. Courses up here are not pairing people up.

Depending on how busy the course is, I might start with others then let them go ahead, or me go ahead, then I'd play 2 balls for more play or practice. Obviously that would depend if the course was full and busy. But if not....

Sure I am fine with pairing up. I can keep my distance and still have a great time. It's not like I do a lot of hugging with my regular playing partners....other than my wife.

I have been walking lately, so sure come on and enjoy, just dont touch my ball and lets maintain a covidian mandated distance.

Completely fine and getting more and more fine with it every day.

A couple of weeks ago my twosome was paired with another twosome. I didn’t like it, as I’ve become accustomed to courses not pairing people. But it was fine. Everyone stayed to themselves, nobody touchEd the pin, etc.

Last edited:
I don't see that it would hurt to be paired with someone I don't know. Keep the distance, and follow the guidelines. Also by not letting singles out, they wont have bottlenecks when those singles are wanting to play thru everyone.

Currently, I would not want to be paired up with someone I did not know. I don't want to take a chance. I would keep my distance and take proper precautions but I can't be certain a random person, unknown to me, would take similar actions. I would have no problems playing with people I know and who I could trust were going to take proper precautions. As time goes on I may likely change.

I've played multiple times since this whole thing started. If you get an early tee time, you can sometimes be allowed to ride alone in the cart. But most courses do not have the allotted number of carts to allow everyone to be a single rider. So the course I play the most has people waiting for carts as the early tee times finish. Or if you have a later tee time, there is only walking allowed. But I've had to ride with randoms multiple times & all I do is walk more than normal in between shots. He will ride the cart up & I would walk to the green. That way I'm only spending a few moments in the cart with him as we go from green to tee.
Now if I come down with Covid next week, you will know why :eek:

Ive been playing with others. Its easy to stay a safe distance, and thats with me believing 6 ft is not enough.

I would decline playing with others presently, but that's just me.

From a personal perspective, I don't feel threatened - but everything I do impacts my family... If by some off chance the threat is that local, I'd just rather not take the chance.

No but not because of Covid... it's more that I don't know where my ball will go and I need driving range time.

Me personally, at my age, I am giving this virus a wide berth. I am not taking any chances with it. There is so much information being given out, it's tough to know what to believe about it.

Golfing with someone I don't know, is just not going to happen, at least untill maybe August at the earliest.

Our regular foursome will get together sooner. Even then our group will pick a more out of the course to play. We have discussed this. Maybe we'll make a weekend golf trip to the Furnace Creek course in Death Valley for starters. 120 degree heat tends to keep most golfers at home.

For now I am content hitting my 100+/- balls a day. Not sure how my long game will play when I get on a course again, but I know from 90 yards, and closer, I'm going to be damn good.....lol

Around here I don't think it would be a big deal at all and I am ok with it if need be. On some of the courses they are so packed it is crazy. I played a course a couple weeks ago and it was simply slammed and was basically a waiting game. Two golfers in front of me asked if I wanted to join them and I said ok and we had a decent time. They were friendly and kept a proper distance.

If you have your own cart or are walking I don't see any problems with being paired up. If they are staying pretty busy then they have limited tee times available and would be giving up 3 potential green fees if they allow singles to go out by themselves. You wouldn't expect to get your own row on a roller coaster, bus, plane, etc. if there was a line. They aren't forcing you to ride in a cart with someone so I should be pretty easy to stay 6 ft away.

Now if they aren't busy enough to get close to filling tee times then I don't get that.

I would need to see what the reported infection rate is in my community before making a decision either way.

Right now if I'm walking I think it would be fine to group up with random players. Really the areas of congregation are the tee box and green and I think for both of those people with sense will spread out.

My last round in March I was grouped together 3 other singles and even then the course was pretty busy. I've been trying to decide when I'll go play a real round again, and I'm guessing I'm still a few weeks out until the family feels comfortable with the idea.

Been paired with other players a couple of times already. No issues as we all respected social distancing. Yesterday's round was no different although a little interesting. Had a 1pm tee time (already freaking hot here in Tucson) and knew there was a twosome already in that slot (could see that when I booked online). Another single was a walk on so there would be four of us. Carts were being turned as quickly as possible (after they could clean and disinfect them). Turned out the twosome was a husband and wife who naturally loaded up into one cart. As they drove to the first tee the cart guys noticed they were together and called them back. Even though they came together in the same car they wouldn't be allowed to go on the course in the same cart. Guys said it would cause too many questions and they didn't want to have to explain to others. So they split them into separate carts. The guy's wife didn't make it past the first hole before she turned back and quit. She was used to playing along side her husband and she felt too nervous out there on her own as she was a bit of a beginner. It saddened me that she felt so self conscious about playing that she decided to quit. In any event the other three of us soldiered on and had a fun round. None of us broke social distancing rules but still could talk and play together. It didn't hurt that each of us played different tee boxes either...

Yeah, I'll be walking if/when I get to play anyways

Well we are walking only here per the governor which I'm totally fine with, I'm just not sure I want to be paired with others right now so I'll wait till I can play with a friend or with people I know.

Back