Are you open minded to smaller companies?

DataDude

That's Just Like Your Opinion Man
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am definitely open minded to smaller companies. I think the hard part of golf is that once they put a hard stop on size of drivers and COR and things like that the innovation gets more and more expensive to squeeze out more performance and forgiveness. That really puts an up and comer in a tough spot. It's hard to put enough money into something to compete with the big OEM's at selling golf clubs if you are new or small.

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I would say I am. If the quality is there and it suites me, I’ll buy into the smaller brands.

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I certainly would. I currently play a putter from a smaller company and I love it. I have played wedges from smaller companies and I am considering getting more of them. As long as they perform then I will play them.

Tywithay

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I'm open to any company. If the value and tech story interest me, I'm probably more inclined to go with a smaller company.

Luchnia

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I don't really pay any attention to the size of the company. As you basically stated it is a perception as to what a small company is. I look at it this way, if what they produce is something I am interested in they have my focus for that item.

Lions81

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If I'm being honest I would say not really. Not too sure why either. I just tend to gravitate to the bigger names and have never really seen a need to venture out too much.

Reframmellator

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I think in general I don't mind smaller at all, but I expect them to bring something to the table that's different. Either be cheaper, be unique, be rare, be something.

I don't have much need for a small scale version of a big OEM.
If two companies try to make a living in exactly the same way, one will cease to exist.

kiwichris

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Absolutely, I'm eyeing up Sub70, New Level make some good looking gear at good prices.
When does Ben Hogan Golf get considered back as a big brand?

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Absolutely, I'm eyeing up Sub70, New Level make some good looking gear at good prices.
When does Ben Hogan Golf get considered back as a big brand?
Would be a very very long time imo, they’re definitely a boutique brand right now.

gkeller813

#UsDidIt
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Courtesy of THP I've been able to try out lots of smaller brands:

Ben Hogan BHM01 putter. Great feeling mid mallet putter.

KZG Tri Tour irons: put them up against Srixin 565/765 and the KZG win out.

I've also purchased a TEE EX10 beta 3w which plays very well for me.

Tried DTC golf balls from Cut, Vice and Snell. Really like the Snell and game them very often.

So overall I'm not against smaller brands, and i think it's kind if fun to have great performing equipment that not many other people have.

bruceh1943

Reaction score
Handicap
I would try any club as long as it works for me and is appealing to the eye.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If two companies try to make a living in exactly the same way, one will cease to exist.
I think from a general sense, this is true, but not to the finite of the golf industry as a whole.

Molten

Man Down
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It really depends on what the smaller company brings to the table. If there is real development or progress, all for it. If it’s a “me too” product, probably less interested. Some of the small companies make great stuff - others don’t.

jhtr20

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm more than fine with smaller companies. My putter is from AR Golf and it is well made and performs great for me. I would put its quality up against any putter. It is the best armlock putter I've tried. They also have a couple iron and wedge models that I wouldn't hesitate to try but I'm not currently in the market. I will say they offer a lot of customizing and fit options that you won't see from the big guys.

blugold

Autobots, roll out!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 or so.
I very much am.

nicklongdrive

Reaction score
Completely depends whether I can try it or not, always willing to give something a try.

tahoebum

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I prefer less popular equipment over popular stuff everything else being equal. I had mostly Wilson Staff irons and wedges in my bag from 2002-2014 and have also played Mizuno, Tour Edge, Bridgestone and Adams drivers during that same period. I play Srixon for their quality, sole design, and looks and it’s a bonus that I rarely see a set of their irons on the course. I’d really like to switch away from a less popular driver brand and this year I’m hoping that will put a Mizuno driver in my bag. I love playing Snell balls partially because the are so rare that nobody confuses them for their own ball.

JonMA1

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Smaller companies are preferable to me. The only exception might be Callaway Golf because of what I've read on this site regarding their customer service.

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Reaction score
Handicap
I see this as smaller, yes. But, they’re kind of an bespoke category. And I’m super jealous. The Artisan experience sounds amazing.
Totally recommend if only for the fitting experience & what one can learn during it. The fact you can then spend time w/ Mike after w/ any Q&A’s you have is icing. But good luck walking out of there not making a purchase!! Ha.

KingsKraken

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I’m a value for dollar golfer which means I end up buying mostly from smaller companies because I won’t pay OEM prices. In the past, when I had less sympathy for IP theft, I played clone clubs. These days, I’ve gone component.

I’m replacing my old clones with Maltby clubs now. So far, an adjustable driver with a Kuro Kage Black shaft, forged player’s cavity irons (4-GW), and 52 and 58 wedges with HiRev shafts, all custom sized, have cost me less than $800. I can play quite a few rounds for the savings vs OEM clubs.

I couldn’t care less what anyone thinks of my clubs. The person that would judge me for not playing OEM isn’t a person I’d want to know anyway.

Reaction score
Proudly carrying a full bag of old/new mix of "boutique brand" clubs: all Ben Hogan new: GS53 and GS 53 Max drivers and fairways, PTX Pro 4-P irons, Equalizer 50, 54 and 60 degree wedges and old: rebuilt CFT 1 and 2 hybrids and Hogan Sure In semi-mallet putter and the blue/red Hogan stand bag. If The Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company remains a small / boutique company I'll support em for good!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryndom

2021 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 18
For clubs, I don’t know. If the group has a great set of designers and engineers year surely. I think the r&d gap with the big 4 or 5 is pretty significant hill to climb. Add to that the market perception it’s tough to really break in.

Though I don’t play them, I think Parsons has been the most successful in breaking into the market. He did it by catering to the super premium end of the market which was underrepresented at the time.

mikeg_74

B.T.S
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This last year went w/ Artisan for wedges & Edel for putter. Smaller companies but once I researched their stories & what they offered that the bigger OEM’s don’t I was intrigued & hooked. Very impressed & so glad I did.
this is where I’m at. For wedges and putter I look to small companies and see what they have going on. For the rest of the bag I look to bigger OEMs just from a pure comfort standpoint. I’m sure smaller companies make great gear but I have to feel comfortable with what’s in my bag

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in