Are You Playing the Wrong Grips?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is from the current issue of our digital magazine and thought it would be a fun topic here too.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 7.56.25 AM.png

I'd be curious to see how many go through the simple Golf Pride tool and if it matches what they are playing? It was pretty neat.

I went through it twice and one of the times I got exactly what I play. The other time I got the Z-grip but I like the skin staying on my hands. This is a really helpful tool

It picked the same grip even when changing the variables. Align or MCC which I play at the present.

I get either what I’m playing (MCC +4), or the CP2 PRO/Wrap in midsize, which is about what I figured. Next time I re-grip I may look at the CP2s just for something different.

I like the tool though, simple and seems pretty accurate and takes into account what you like in a grip.

It looks like my preferred grip is the right one, the MCC +4. That's pretty cool to see that it matched up.

I got z-cords. Currently playing the MCC, which was my first alternative.

I regripped my clubs last week. I went back to standard size. I like how the midsize feels, but I'm hoping the smaller grip makes it easier to turn the club over. I used that grip selector before buying and it gave me 2 different sizes. Standard in corded grips and midsize in MCC.

According to this, I should be using the MCC+4 grip... in undersize (I wear a small glove). Not surprised by the size since ping puts me in the aqua grip size (which I think is a bit larger than undersize)

I'm actually intrigued by this, since I like the idea of the built up right hand, but I have struggles turning the ball over with that. I might give it a shot on the extra 8i sitting round.

It recommended for me the MCC +4. I play the MCC align so close enough.

Spot on with TV cords that I’ve moved to this season. Pretty cool!

Amazingly, the selector chose CP2 Pro/Wrap. which is just what I'm using. I've found this grip to be very durable.

I just did this and I got CP2 Pro/Wrap and shockingly midsize as well. I don't think I've ever tried a midsize grip. I guess I might be playing the wrong grip?

Other rec's were Tour Velvet and MCC which is my favorite grip.

I got CP2 Pro or Wrap standard. I've been playing CP2 Wrap standard the last 2 years so they are spot on.

I used to say best of both worlds on one of the questions and always got the MCC Plus 4. I have recently been installing CP2 Pro grips on my wedges and the CP2 Wrap on my driver, fairway, and hybrids. This time answered that question as softer and it popped out the CP2 series for me. @tahoebum mentioned these in another thread that made me curious and I am glad he did because I really like them a lot.

After measuring my hand it puts me in a mid-size Tour wrap which is what I’ve mostly played the last few years until finding the Sonar Tour. The first 40 years I played standard size grips which feel strangely way to small now.

I got z grip which is one I enjoy.

Will say I wear a small glove which automatically puts me into an undersize grip, but if I use the hand measurement I get the standard size grip. Found it interesting.

Midsize CP2 is what it put me in. Very similar to what I’m playing now and for my MC order.

I got z grip which is one I enjoy.

Will say I wear a small glove which automatically puts me into an undersize grip, but if I use the hand measurement I get the standard size grip. Found it interesting.

I wear a Cadet M/L or a Cadet L in some brands but I prefer a very tight glove that I have to stretch a bit. Hand measurement puts me in a midsize but if I enter Cadet M/L it puts me in a standard size grip.

Nailed it. Not bad considering I picked my grips by just groping a few in the golf shop bins. MCC+4 and MCC+4 Align.

Thanks for sharing @JB. I just re did my grips for the first time in four years, and went with the GP Tour Velvets on my irons and GP Tour Wraps on my woods. The biggest change I made was going from a standard size to a midsize grip. I was not sure if this was the right move but I have always liked the feel of the oversized grips. This tool gave me midsize based off of hand and glove size, so that is reassuring! My results recommended the CP2 Pro/Wrap.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 9.05.54 AM.png

I’ve tried a bunch of different combinations and can’t get it recommended the TV Cords I play.

Tool puts me in midsize cp2 pro/wrap. I use standard tour velvet with 2 wraps. IDK.

Memory is returning. I used that grip selection tool previously and was going to put midsize cp2 on my irons when I put in recoil shafts. The extra weight changed swing weight more than I wanted. I opted to stay with tv.

The tool came back with cp2 standard. I actually use CP2 pro midsize. If I had to guess my hands are just a touch smaller that they would recommend for midsize, but they just feel good. I do whale a couple clubs with the standard grips +4 wraps and they’re ok.

Back