Are you really worried about gapping at the top of the bag?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Having just gone through the ordering process for the Morgan Cup and seeing some posts about gapping their 4i to the rest of the set is that something you really concern yourself with? My thoughts at the top is obviously driver, then I need a club or 2 that allows me reach a long par 5 in two OR provide a secondary tee option. Same goes for the 4i and 4h. With those clubs I'm not really trying to fill a gap I'm trying to give myself options not making sure I need exact gapping.

What about you? Do you try to create perfect gaps between each club or are you like me and try to have options at the top of the bag?

In the past I have never really considered it going driver, 5W into my CLKs the gapping was just there. Biggest gap was driver-5w at 40 yards. This will be the first time I bag a 3W, 4 Hybrid, 5 iron set up and hope it works.

I go for options at the top of the bag. For the 7wd, 3H or 4H, I am looking for the club that day that fits the longish par 3. The one or two fairways are for distance depending on the tees I play that day. Driver 1 or 2 depends on the course.:unsure: I'm beginning to think that's too much thinking.:LOL:

I'm less fussy about gapping at the top, more interested in if I can hit the shots I want to hit and have about the right distance. I do keep an eye on overall yardage potential, but that will fluctuate a little as different hybrids or utilities swap in or out. For example, with the same 4w and 4i in the bag, I might put in either 2h or 3h, 2i or 3i depending on how much distance vs. elevation I want for the day.

I’m in no mans land from 225 to 265 or so.

So I guess I’m in the same boat. I can always try to hit the 265 club less hard? Doesn’t really work well, but I try? 🤷‍♂️

Most 5’s I play are either mid irons after a good drive or 3w anyways. They’re either really short or just on the edge of reachable for me. There’s only one local hole where it’s a problem, a 235 yard par 3. Water short. OOB the other three sides. I usually just pray on that one.

I really and I mean really came close to bagging only a 5w this year but in the end I decided it limited my options on certain courses and/or holes

Less so recently considering I have 2 drivers and two clubs that go around 225 in the bag

I’m not proficient enough for exact gapping. I try to make sure I have an on in two club and a club that I can use on long Par 3’s or tight tee shots. I try to “generally” gap from there.

I like to think that the purpose of the club limit rule is to actually create a gapping problem somewhere in the bag. I would rather have that issue at the top.

I would like to think I blend well from irons to woods, but that's where my biggest gaps are, but it doesn't bother me too much.

I’m in no mans land from 225 to 265 or so.

So I guess I’m in the same boat. I can always try to hit the 265 club less hard? Doesn’t really work well, but I try? 🤷‍♂️

Most 5’s I play are either mid irons after a good drive or 3w anyways. They’re either really short or just on the edge of reachable for me. There’s only one local hole where it’s a problem, a 235 yard par 3. Water short. OOB the other three sides. I usually just pray on that one.
This is my exact problem and I dont know what to do. Honestly my 3w is essentially useless. Unless im playing a private course at 7200+ I have no need for a 3w other than I like to hit it. In 5 years ive probably "needed" to hit my 3w less than 10x

For a while I went with the Original One mini driver and then 2hy or 2 utility.

I think it depends on how far you hit the ball and what kind of courses you play regularly. If you hit 5i 210 then gapping your set in the 240-260 range isn’t as important. I don’t hit the ball that far I hit 5i 175 the tees I generally play at my home course leave me with shots between 175 and 210 at least 6 or 7 times a round plus long par 3s. That makes it more important to figure out the gaps between my 5i ant 175 and 3W at 210.

This is exactly why I did a top end of the bag fitting this year, not necessarily to fill gaps, but to figure out what would work best at the top.

After going through the fitting, I ended up with one less club at the top of the bag, and that is quite ok. The gaps are bigger than at the bottom of the bag, and honestly, that is ok too. having a 20 yard gap at over 200 yards is more tolerable than at say 130 yards.

I really and I mean really came close to bagging only a 5w this year but in the end I decided it limited my options on certain courses and/or holes

I keep trying to throw away the 3w or 4w but for the 2 or three tee shots a round I tend to use it, I use it specifically because it goes further than my 2h.

That's it, next round is 3w, 5w in the 2 & 3 spots. I need to see the differences on course.

Having just gone through the ordering process for the Morgan Cup and seeing some posts about gapping their 4i to the rest of the set is that something you really concern yourself with? My thoughts at the top is obviously driver, then I need a club or 2 that allows me reach a long par 5 in two OR provide a secondary tee option. Same goes for the 4i and 4h. With those clubs I'm not really trying to fill a gap I'm trying to give myself options not making sure I need exact gapping.

What about you? Do you try to create perfect gaps between each club or are you like me and try to have options at the top of the bag?
Man, to answer your question more directly, I think with modern equipment and our (amateurs) game, all you need is a driver, one FW, a maybe hybrid or high lifted wood, and then irons. I mean, are you ever between a 3w or a 5w into a par 5 and had the exact yardage be the limiting factor of getting home?

Nope I basically go Driver then 3w then fill in with a hybrid that allows for varying shots. Then it’s straight to a 5i, which allows me to get creative at the bottom of the bag or maybe even carry an extra driver in case I snap my gamer. 😂

Man, to answer your question more directly, I think with modern equipment and our (amateurs) game, all you need is a driver, one FW, a maybe hybrid or high lifted wood, and then irons. I mean, are you ever between a 3w or a 5w into a par 5 and had the exact yardage be the limiting factor of getting home?
This exactly. I went from driver, 2 fwy and a hybrid to 1 fwy and a hybrid.

I don’t try to gap the top of my bag so much. I use that area to get into distances I like with my irons or to get close to the green for chipping.

I rather have more backend clubs/wedges, so versatility at the top of my bag is more important.

I am concerned about it a little bit. I also like to have versatility there too though. I want the following:

• A club to hit as far as possible from the fairway
  • A club to hit it as far as possible out of the rough
  • A club to hit punch shots out of the woods with
  • A club for high shots into par 3's that I can't hit an iron too

Agreed @jdtox - I'm not worried about the top gapping. More over just want things I'm confident that I can hit, goes where I want them to go, and feels good in my hands. If I need to adjust gapping, I'm more likely to choke down, up, or put a different style of swing on it.

No and thats the thing though there would be some par 5's I play fairly frequently that if I don't have a 3w I'm never getting home in 2. That was the deciding factor for me on losing the 3w and adding a club like 3h.

One advantage to being a short hitter is I don't have to concern myself much with gapping. For me a 3w or 5w or hybrid in the 17-19 degree range or a 18-20 degree long iron are all pretty similar in distance. And a 3w or 5w only goes maybe 15 yards shorter than my driver.

So I just get "one fairway wood" which happens to be a 5w at the moment but could be a 3w/4w or even a strong-lofted 7w and it wouldn't make much difference. Then I start my iron set somewhere in the low 20's and go from there. No decisions really needed off the tee or on long fairway shots.

Kind of nice, the bag only needs 12 or 13 clubs and there aren't a bunch of headcovers cluttering it up...:p

No, I don't care about gapping after my 5 iron.

I just want clubs to do a specific thing. Driver - go far. 4 wood - when I need less off the tee. 3 & 4 Hybrids to attack par 5s.

I was one that had gapping concerns when trying to determine my Mor
This is why I almost, and possibly should have, dropped the 3w and replaced it with a 4U. I would have gone 5i, 4h, 4u, 5w. Tons of yardage overlap but the utility would give me that tight tee shot, the 4h the rough and fairway approach, and the 5w for just a touch more distance when trying to reach that green in two. I'm not sure I'm consistent enough with the 3w to have the extra distance matter.

Not worried about the top as for most par 5's I cannot reach in two anyway. I do want a 3w that I can hit a known distance though.

Back