Are Your Greens Fees Going Up?

Somewhat stable, but the course that is improving their conditions and becoming a little more popular is probably going to raise their rate next year when they have a few more regulars.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm in Austin, too. Our monthly dues usually go about about 15 bucks per year, but it was 30 this year IIRC.
Which club are you apart of?

At my little University course, green fees are stable but ai expect a bit of an increase ($5 a round or so) in the next year to help with some renovations.

Mine haven’t went up but will in a couple years when I age out of the deal I have now. Unless they really upgrade the course the increase will price me out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the price at Rutgers might have gone up a little bit this year, but that's really the only course that I've played multiple times this year besides our 9 hole league course.

Our rates have not changed.

The fees are going up and I won’t be shocked by an assessment too. I really don’t get why the cost is going up but our resource usage is going down.

The fees are going up and I won’t be shocked by an assessment too. I really don’t get why the cost is going up but our resource usage is going down.

Any wage increase change laws in your area?

When I got my first membership at the small 9 hole course, I think it was $400. Like 10 years ago.
This past year? $680.
Plus cart.

It isn't so much that the rate keeps going up every year, it is that the ammenities/conditions are diminishing. Less value for the money every year is not an appealing idea.

Great question. I pay for my green fees in December and the course held their prices flat for the last few years. I'm curious if the price goes up this year. I'm expected an increase but it's a double-edge sword. I appreciate their expenses went up and price increases are very obvious in the bar and restaurant. The economy is strong and they're safe in the near-term. However, a premium price sets the course up for a big drop if the economy suddenly takes a turn downward. It's a classic price elasticity equation for the club GM to figure out. In my business (not golf related), we've passed on quite a few price increases to our customers over the last two years.

Ding, ding, ding...this is the biggest contributor to a noticeable increase in the restaurant and bar. The information is directly from the food service manager and in response to a minimum wage law for servers. Good thing the course has less than 100 employees or the wage increase would be higher. Food prices from their suppliers are also going up.

Last edited:
Whether that be dues at a private facility or your local courses you play. Are you seeing an uptick in prices of your rounds?

I don’t think so. Looks like my yearly membership is staying the same. Will know when I check and go to renew.

I feel like the base fees have gone up a bit if any but they just keep jacking the cart fees up. Advertise the rate and then you get there and the cart fees are getting out of hand. It seems like not too long ago it was 10-15. Now I can’t remember when it was less than 18-20.

No, I don’t think so. VA isn’t too keen on that kind of thing. But there is a shortage of workers qualified to do some of the work, driving the cost up. Oh, and incompetent people on the payroll (hi, Pete).

From what I have seen over at least recent years, not yet luckily.

Our course (semiprivate) lowered dues and significantly increased green fees. More members and less non-members playing has been nice. Seems to move along faster and there are less unfixed divots and whatnot.

I will say for a golf community, Louisville has a lot of reasonable rates and I think there are a wide range if incomes that play. It's much easier to get on a course here than it is a lot of places.

Here in the NYC area, they have gone up quite a bit. If they put the money back into the course you might not mind. But they aren’t! The public courses are owned by NYC, then leased out to be maintained and run to the highest bidder. So are the price increases due to: too many rain days, too many HOT days - a good number of golfers can’t/won’t play in extreme heat. Or greed, getting the most $$$ before the season closes down. I’ve asked (lol) and have been told.....I only work here - yada yada yada !

The county courses here raised their prices by a buck or two in order to make capital improvements. New bunkers and cart paths. I am not complaining at all. Fall rates just started and I paid $15 to walk 18 holes on a very nice course.

Yes, regular rates have gone up $2-3 for all times at my home course, and I have seen some other courses go up by $10 or more over the last couple years.

Not surprising as costs for pretty much everything have gone up.

Prices are stable in Minnesota but certainly up at private courses since the crash of 2008. In Naples Florida, Initiation fees at private courses are up significantly in the last decade and getting to the point where it is unlikely I will join a club or play much winter golf when we move there for six months each year in another four years. I played a couple private course last April that I didn’t even like and the initiation fees were $65,000 at one and $42,000 at the other and dues were $13k and $10k annually. No way I’m paying that much for mediocre golf. I’ll be happy playing 100 summer rounds in Minnesota and just playing a couple times a month during the Florida winters.

Back