Looks like my wife and I are moving to Phoenix or Tucson AZ after our child goes off to college this fall. Her parents live there and have been needing some help getting along. We're in a good position to make the move.

But question for you AZers, what's it like living there? Too hot to golf in the summer? Is it pretty windy usually? Do you worry about scorpions and rattlers everyday:LOL:?

Any recommendations for golf course living? We live on a course now and really like hopping in our cart and driving right to the course to play.
I had these same questions about four years ago before my wife and I made the move from MI to AZ. I can honestly say that both my wife and I were hesitant and nervous to move because of the weather, hearing of scorpions, not knowing anyone or anything. However, four years later I can say it was the best decision we ever made. We love it here. We love the weather. We love the people. We love our church. And I love the golf! My wife doesn’t golf. We’ve been in a house for three of those years and I have killed a few dozen scorpions in the backyard in the exterior brick fence. I use a pole and just smash them into oblivion! Have only found two scorpions inside in three years. One was in the garage (does this count?) and the other was on a wall in our master bedroom. The bedroom one was found during a time when our main water line was broken in the front yard and was being repaired and was open to the elements. Yes, they come thru those! Really and crack or crevice. We have a company called Green Mango that comes out every six weeks and sprays both inside and out and the chemical is supposed to keep them away and kill them if they come into contact with it. Have yet to see a snake of any sort even of the course and I play a lot of desert golf off the fairways. Cannot comment on golf course living. Good luck!

Looks like my wife and I are moving to Phoenix or Tucson AZ after our child goes off to college this fall. Her parents live there and have been needing some help getting along. We're in a good position to make the move.

But question for you AZers, what's it like living there? Too hot to golf in the summer? Is it pretty windy usually? Do you worry about scorpions and rattlers everyday:LOL:?

Any recommendations for golf course living? We live on a course now and really like hopping in our cart and driving right to the course to play.

Welcome to AZ! I've been here 14 years. you get used to the heat. after 3 years you'll never be able to live anywhere else. The heat is manageable to play summer golf. taking in shade whenever you can is key. And the frozen towels are just glorious. Here in PHX, wind that affect golf is actually rare.

Scorps....just kill all the bugs around your house and they will leave you alone. Rattlers....hate to break it to you, but you may never see one. Tucson maybe a different story, but here in PHX, you have to almost go looking for them. give them a wide berth and you'll be fine.

I've never lived on a golf course, so cant' offer advice on that.

Finally, we are starting our own golf league of AZ THPers. we play once a month all over the state. If you're so inclined I hope you consider joining us. As a group we play a lot of golf together anyway.

A

All depends on what side of town for golf living. There are a ton of courses but if you want to play the same community courses there is that opportunity as well.

Lets not kid ourselves it gets hot here. Like super hot. I play a lot in the summer as courses are cheaper but it took some training to get there. You have to hydrate.

I have seen rattlers but not where I live. Now scorpions....my oh my. The worst was I got stung in bed a few days before I left for Scotland. Damn thing stung my hand and woke me up from a sound sleep. It is a little shocking at first and you get the numbness from it but it wasn't like super painful. We had a bug guy then switched over to a scorpion guy. Now we don't get them in the house but they are still on the wall outside. If they crawl towards the house there is a chemical barrier that slowly kills them. You have to get a blacklight to check them out. Overall I don't really worry about scorpions.

Thank you for the quick replies! Good to hear the scorpion and rattler comments, should make *cough* my wife *cough* feel better.

We're looking at the east side of Phoenix. Something like Las Sendas. Parents live in Chandler.

I'm heading out to play in a few here and it's supposed to be about 100 degrees. Doesn't bother me that much. Just want to know that there are people to golf with in the summer. I don't play alone. Would rather spend an hour on the range and go home.

Would absolutely join the area league. Love playing other courses and hoping there are skins involved.?:)

Been offline for a bit, just catching up on the Az group. Given my golf ability not a big gambler, but interested in the monthly rounds.

Thank you for the quick replies! Good to hear the scorpion and rattler comments, should make *cough* my wife *cough* feel better.

We're looking at the east side of Phoenix. Something like Las Sendas. Parents live in Chandler.

I'm heading out to play in a few here and it's supposed to be about 100 degrees. Doesn't bother me that much. Just want to know that there are people to golf with in the summer. I don't play alone. Would rather spend an hour on the range and go home.

Would absolutely join the area league. Love playing other courses and hoping there are skins involved.?:)

Awesome. The format will be net skins. Details are in this thread.

Las Sendas is a hot button in the PHX area. Some love it and some hate it. I have not personally played it but the complaints I hear the most is that it is gimmicky.

Been offline for a bit, just catching up on the Az group. Given my golf ability not a big gambler, but interested in the monthly rounds.

we have a large range of golfers abilities. Having fun and playing great AZ courses is a main motivator. I'm a horrible gambler, but interested in some friendly competition. This thread has all the details. the first four locations are scheduled.

Las Sendas is a hot button in the PHX area. Some love it and some hate it. I have not personally played it but the complaints I hear the most is that it is gimmicky.

HARD is the word you're looking for. Personally I caught it on a bad day. (scalping the fairways) It's a beautiful piece of desert. If managed properly it could be a great course.

Hardest course in AZ. I love it but many here have complaints about management.

If I was choosing to live at a golf course in AZ (and could afford Las Sendas), my choice would be The Gallery in Tucson, AZ. A little cooler and less expensive and two beautiful courses. Of course Tucson does not offer as many amenities as PHX, you would be about an hr and 15 min from Chandler.

https://www.gallerygolf.com/

Whatever you do, play any course you are interested in a few times before you buy property. If I had the funds and wanted to live on the east side of Phoenix, I would look at Seville or Encanterra (depending on your age). My in-laws live in Trilogy at Power Ranch and love the community and they don't play golf. That might be where I retire if I don't find a beach somewhere.

There is one course I despise more than any other in AZ, and it is Las Sendas. It is probably unfair how much I hate that place, but unless I have a free round there, they will never have the chance to prove me wrong. I try to be fair and only express my opinion about the place when asked.

There is one course I despise more than any other in AZ, and it is Las Sendas. It is probably unfair how much I hate that place, but unless I have a free round there, they will never have the chance to prove me wrong. I try to be fair and only express my opinion about the place when asked.

Las Sendas is @oumagic

Some areas have more scorpions than others. If you live near water, former groves, or outer areas , you may find more. Just avoid them when they do this:

Attachments

• AE95A6F3-E50B-4EE4-9E8D-E62866AF31C0.jpeg
    AE95A6F3-E50B-4EE4-9E8D-E62866AF31C0.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 15
@Wildcat4life My response when he asks if I want to play at the course that shall not be named

Some areas have more scorpions than others. If you live near water, former groves, or outer areas , you may find more. Just avoid them when they do this:
That picture just gave me the worst case of willies! We don't see many around here in town (we also have monthly pest control), but we used to live on 2.5 acres out in the open desert on dirt roads and there were bark scorpions all over the place out there. I sprayed so much pesticide that the house almost glowed in the dark, but at any given time I could walk out in the garage and find 10-15 dead scorpions lying around. Found a few live ones in the house out there too - twice they were in the ceiling fan right over our bed, once there was one floating in the toilet when I got up to pee in the middle of the night (must have fallen out of the exhaust fan right over the toilet). I used to go outside on summer nights with a black light and propane torch, hunt them down and literally kill them with fire. Since moving into town, I've found 2 or 3 in the garage in the last 7 years, none inside the house. I freaking hate scorpions.

Rattlesnakes - see them occasionally on golf courses or when out off-roading, never seen one anywhere near our house or yard and they're not commonly seen around town. Not a good idea to go tromping off into the boonies looking for lost balls on the course though, we've had a couple close calls. The course down in Parker is a haven for them - built into rocky mountains, with lots of water and heavy vegetation around it. It's almost unusual to *not* run across a rattler at least once per round when playing there.

I'm down in Tucson-- As for snakes, I've seen one live one in my decade of living here. Scorpions, I have a pest management treat my property once a month, and that takes care of scorpions and pretty much everything else. I'll get 1-2 scorpions a year that make it inside the house, but they are barely alive at that point. Hit em with the RAID spray and flush them a couple minutes later. Scorpions are very low on my list of concerns living here.

We have a great group of people down here. I think some portion of our group has played every week since December.

I had these same questions about four years ago before my wife and I made the move from MI to AZ. I can honestly say that both my wife and I were hesitant and nervous to move because of the weather, hearing of scorpions, not knowing anyone or anything. However, four years later I can say it was the best decision we ever made. We love it here. We love the weather. We love the people. We love our church. And I love the golf! My wife doesn’t golf. We’ve been in a house for three of those years and I have killed a few dozen scorpions in the backyard in the exterior brick fence. I use a pole and just smash them into oblivion! Have only found two scorpions inside in three years. One was in the garage (does this count?) and the other was on a wall in our master bedroom. The bedroom one was found during a time when our main water line was broken in the front yard and was being repaired and was open to the elements. Yes, they come thru those! Really and crack or crevice. We have a company called Green Mango that comes out every six weeks and sprays both inside and out and the chemical is supposed to keep them away and kill them if they come into contact with it. Have yet to see a snake of any sort even of the course and I play a lot of desert golf off the fairways. Cannot comment on golf course living. Good luck!

I would say maybe PM DoubleB regarding PHX vs Tucson. I have personally lived in both places, and honestly both are great places to live. But like DoubleB has stated if you do live in Tucson its a good idea to live more in the NW portion of town so your close to I-10 and Chandler. For me personally I miss Tucson traffic vs PHX traffic. I miss seeing the milky way. But damn is there just so much more to do in Phx vs. Tucson. A LOT more. My wife was devastated when we made the transition, but now that we have she actually said she is much more happier here than she was in Tucson.

Scorpions.......just spray monthly, its affordable, no worries about scorpions. I have been bit once, and it was out doors. Snakes, I have seen my fair share. All in Tucson, none in Phoenix yet. Like MTBLOCO said give them a wide berth and they wont bother you. Honestly in Tucson it felt like most bites were men ******* with them, searching for a golf ball, or shockingly enough people hiking and resting on their walk they go to sit down and sit on the damn snake. (Saw a ton of those cases at the trauma bay)

Honestly in Tucson it felt like most bites were men ******* with them, searching for a golf ball, or shockingly enough people hiking and resting on their walk they go to sit down and sit on the damn snake. (Saw a ton of those cases at the trauma bay)

Should we tell him that the Rattlers have started....not rattling when they see humans? yeah probably not.

Should we tell him that the Rattlers have started....not rattling when they see humans? yeah probably not.
Yeah those little s***s have evolved. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That picture just gave me the worst case of willies! We don't see many around here in town (we also have monthly pest control), but we used to live on 2.5 acres out in the open desert on dirt roads and there were bark scorpions all over the place out there. I sprayed so much pesticide that the house almost glowed in the dark, but at any given time I could walk out in the garage and find 10-15 dead scorpions lying around. Found a few live ones in the house out there too - twice they were in the ceiling fan right over our bed, once there was one floating in the toilet when I got up to pee in the middle of the night (must have fallen out of the exhaust fan right over the toilet). I used to go outside on summer nights with a black light and propane torch, hunt them down and literally kill them with fire. Since moving into town, I've found 2 or 3 in the garage in the last 7 years, none inside the house. I freaking hate scorpions.

Rattlesnakes - see them occasionally on golf courses or when out off-roading, never seen one anywhere near our house or yard and they're not commonly seen around town. Not a good idea to go tromping off into the boonies looking for lost balls on the course though, we've had a couple close calls. The course down in Parker is a haven for them - built into rocky mountains, with lots of water and heavy vegetation around it. It's almost unusual to *not* run across a rattler at least once per round when playing there.

That's the other thing I want to look into...off road trails. I've got a trail ready Rubicon.

I'm down in Tucson-- As for snakes, I've seen one live one in my decade of living here. Scorpions, I have a pest management treat my property once a month, and that takes care of scorpions and pretty much everything else. I'll get 1-2 scorpions a year that make it inside the house, but they are barely alive at that point. Hit em with the RAID spray and flush them a couple minutes later. Scorpions are very low on my list of concerns living here.

We have a great group of people down here. I think some portion of our group has played every week since December.

I'll definitely hook up when we get down there.

Shot an 82 today in 100 degree heat. Missed 3 short birdie putts. :mad:

That's the other thing I want to look into...off road trails. I've got a trail ready Rubicon.
I don't know the Phoenix/Tucson areas (I'm a few hours west and north), but you'll be very pleasantly surprised to find that Arizona is much friendlier to off-roaders than California is. MUCH MUCH friendlier.

For jeeps there are loads a loads all over AZ. Very close to la Sendas is Bulldog Canyon. And the road up to 4 peaks.

Back