Arizona THP Golf League

Wow!!! That's one good looking trophy!
Thank you @robrandalgz for honoring my father this way!

For those of you who don't know - my father was a passionate golfer. Because of him I grew up around the game and can't imagine a life without it. True story: My father hadn't found his passion yet. So one day as he was sitting on the couch attempting to find something entertaining to watch on tv, my mother noticed that he was getting restless and a little bored. As she stared at her husband, she glanced over at the tv and noticed that a golf tournament was on. In an attempt to get him out of the house she looked back at her husband and said "why don't you try that? Why don't you start playing golf?"

As they say... the rest is history. These days she will tell you that was the last time she ever saw my father.

My Dad had never held a golf club prior to that, but that didn't deter him from learning everything he could about the game. He loved it more than anyone could and would imagine. Golf was always on tv. Golf magazines were always on our coffee table. We went to every tournament in town and I as a 6 year old I can remember meeting golfers like Lee Trevino, Fuzzy Zoeller, and Johnny Miller (those autographs are now framed on the walls). Most importantly, for as long as I can remember, he played 18 holes EVERY single Sunday.

My father was the most disciplined person I have ever known and he used that gift to become a great player. Within a decade of picking up a club he would win the Tucson City Am in 1979. And then repeat that in 1983.

His secret? Discipline. He woke up every morning at 4:30am and I often would hear him jogging up and down the hallway. EVERY DAY after work he would head to the Randolph driving range and hit two buckets. No exceptions. Ever. As an adult, I often found myself driving home and if I passed the driving range in the evening, I would always see my Dad there.

Later on he would become a co-founder of the Sunrise Golf League in Tucson. He loved that league, and it still an active league today. He also LOVED playing in tournaments, and judging by the amount of trophies that decorated the house, he seemed to be quite good in them.

I often wondered what would ever happen if my Dad couldn't play golf. Unfortunately, that day did come. Dad would one day be diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, and he played as long as thought he could. When the time came that he couldn't play to his level of expectation, he gave up the game entirely. He loved the game so much that when he couldn't play, he didn't even want to think about it. Unfortunately, he cut himself off from all his golf friends. The only time I would see him light up about golf again was when one day I told him about this great guy I had met who loves to play golf.... (@Wildcat4life - I mean you). That was a great moment for me...

Dad passed away 4 years ago on Valentine's Day (Chris gets a free pass from flowers because I only like to celebrate my Dad on that day), and now his trophies grace our house. Chris won't touch them because he thinks it's bad juju. But he does have my Dad's dog tags hanging from his golf bag as a continuance of my Dad's life in golf.

If only he were more internet savvy... he would've loved THP, and most certainly would've had a lot to contribute.

View attachment 8947258
Amazing story, thanks for sharing.

If only I lived in AZ, I'd be way in on the league. 👊

Sign me up. I'm also down for the first event at Sewailo. Will plan to make each month thereafter but can only lock in Sewailo at this time.

Welcome to the league. And with that we are full (five tee times) for our first event!!!!!

I was just going to post I could make it. Oh well, if anyone drops out....

Welcome to the league. And with that we are full (five tee times) for our first event!!!!!
Well done fellow Zoni's, did not think 5 tee times was even feasible, was hoping to see 3 strong.

@Wildcat4life what do you think the odds of 3 more guys committing would be?

That would not be the issue. Sewailo is booked for that day and have already gone out of their way to help fit in additional tee times. This close to the event I can add no more. I've run out of favors......:(:(:(:(

On the plus side....we are two weeks away from the first event!!!!!

Also to make sure this doesn't happen, let me know as soon as one event is over if you can commit to the next. A month out I can add tee times. A week out I can only delete tee times.

Last edited:
Also to make sure this doesn't happen, let me know as soon as one event is over if you can commit to the next. A month out I can add tee times. A week out I can only delete tee times.

Can't emphasize this enough, gents. Get your name in there and commit. It's one day of the month, fellas. Get out here and join those of us that will be there every week. (y)

Just a reminder for those members planning on playing the Sewailo event to please have your league dues paid by June 13th, which is one week prior to the event. Originally, we had said that dues could be paid up to the event date, but we felt that a deadline of one week prior to an event is better for scheduling purposes, especially if we have to fill empty slots.

League dues can be paid via Venmo (@AZTHP); be sure to include your forum name.

All Sewailo entrants are up-to-date on dues. LET’S GOLF!!!

League championship has been scheduled for November 14th.

Just to make sure the rules are clear.

1. Hole out all putts?
2. If rules question play 2 balls into hole? Who is final rules czar?
3. When is a sprinkler head considered in line of play around the green? 1 club, 2 club, discretion?
4. If a course has a drop zone is that what we play or do we follow USGA rules? Example a drop zone past a yellow staked water hazard.
5. Are we doing a max score on a hole?

Just to make sure the rules are clear.

1. Hole out all putts? All Net Pars and under will be needed to be putted. Net Bogeys and above will be up to playing partners to allow gimmies. May change for League Championship stroke play competition
2. If rules question play 2 balls into hole? Who is final rules czar? Consensus of playing partners for pace of play issues
3. When is a sprinkler head considered in line of play around the green? 1 club, 2 club, discretion? Discretion as long as no closer to hole.
4. If a course has a drop zone is that what we play or do we follow USGA rules? Example a drop zone past a yellow staked water hazard. Drop Zone (Local rules will dictate in most cases)
5. Are we doing a max score on a hole? Net Double Bogey for pace of play issues. May change for League Championship stroke play competition

@Wildcat4life can we have an official plan for bunker play? My other club has an interpretation posted for 16.1c abnormal bunker conditions, just thinking whether we should post something here so everyone knows

@Wildcat4life can we have an official plan for bunker play? My other club has an interpretation posted for 16.1c abnormal bunker conditions, just thinking whether we should post something here so everyone knows
I have struggled with this. My other league is allowing an option to remove from the bunker no closer to the hole. But I feel we should invoke 16.1c in our league. Sewailo has decent bunkers but penalizing. Please inform your playing partners that you are taking relief inside the bunker no closer to the hole.

I know this ruling can be abused but in effort for fun and pace of play....I think it is fair. I expect a lot more relief in some fairway bunkers but still difficult

I have struggled with this. My other league is allowing an option to remove from the bunker no closer to the hole. But I feel we should invoke 16.1c in our league. Sewailo has decent bunkers but penalizing. Please inform your playing partners that you are taking relief inside the bunker no closer to the hole.
Mine allows removal from bunker with 1 penalty stroke, fwiw

Crazy question, just encountered it over the weekend since moving from Tucson. One bunker at Rolling Hills was infested with bees. Had this issue at Del Lago on a few holes. Official ruling was you were allowed to remove ball, drop no closer to the hole with no penalty. (Del Lago ruling)

Tee times for first event posted in OP.

@azrsx......AGA still shows no handicap. Please upload at least your 3 most current scores. Thanks

Tee times for first event posted in OP.

@azrsx......AGA still shows no handicap. Please upload at least your 3 most current scores. Thanks
Hmmmm it must not recognize my sh***y scores. I’ll update!

Let me preface by saying that I'm an idiot but, what is the format for this league? The only other league I've played in (years ago) you played directly against another player in the foursome. Thanks in advance @Wildcat4life.

Let me preface by saying that I'm an idiot but, what is the format for this league? The only other league I've played in (years ago) you played directly against another player in the foursome. Thanks in advance @Wildcat4life.
Skins for the entire event

Back