Arizona THP Golf League

So you're playing for skins within your foursome? I'm still lost.
The way I have done it and the way I think it goes: we have 20 people all playing skins. At the end, we would compare scorecards. Typically, scorecard 1 will say hole 1 we had a net birdie and scorecard 2 and 3 say net par and scorecard 4 says net birdie so no skin there. You keep going through each hole until there is one person that wins a hole.

so let’s say everyone puts $10 into the skin pot, there is $200 in the pot. After the scorecards are figured up, if there were 4 skins won, each is worth $50. If two skins were won, each was worth $100.

it may be done different in this league, but that is how we have done skins. And I believe Chris said to start that we will only be doing net skins. When we get larger, we may split skins into net and gross. When you do it that way, if every player puts in $10, $5 goes to the net and $5 goes to the gross skins and you figure it the same way.

In a 20 person skin game that is only net, the higher handicaps have a slight advantage. Of course when I say that, Chris will go out and have 4 natural birdies and win a few skins. Net bird is usually what it takes to win; sometimes net pars, but it is rare in a 20 person skin game. That is why Chris said no gimmees on net pars or better: to protect the field.

Edit: I have only seen it where no one won a skin once. In that case, we carried the pot over, but you can always just give the pot to whoever won the hardest hole.

Last edited:
The way I have done it and the way I think it goes: we have 20 people all playing skins. At the end, we would compare scorecards. Typically, scorecard 1 will say hole 1 we had a net birdie and scorecard 2 and 3 say net par and scorecard 4 says net birdie so no skin there. You keep going through each hole until there is one person that wins a hole.

so let’s say everyone puts $10 into the skin pot, there is $200 in the pot. After the scorecards are figured up, if there were 4 skins won, each is worth $50. If two skins were won, each was worth $100.

it may be done different in this league, but that is how we have done skins. And I believe Chris said to start that we will only be doing net skins. When we get larger, we may split skins into net and gross. When you do it that way, if every player puts in $10, $5 goes to the net and $5 goes to the gross skins and you figure it the same way.

In a 20 person skin game that is only net, the higher handicaps have a slight advantage. Of course when I say that, Chris will go out and have 4 natural birdies and win a few skins. Net bird is usually what it takes to win; sometimes net pars, but it is rare in a 20 person skin game. That is why Chris said no gimmees on net pars or better: to protect the field.

Edit: I have only seen it where no one won a skin once. In that case, we carried the pot over, but you can always just give the pot to whoever won the hardest hole.
This is how it will be done. We have enough players for $5 gross and $5 net skins.

Rules/procedure questions:

Lost ball in desert?

Max score and whether to pick ball up?

Rules/procedure questions:

Lost ball in desert?

Max score and whether to pick ball up?

Desert Rules - If a ball comes to rest in the desert, if found the player may play the ball if possible without penalty, or if not playable the player may drop a ball within two club-lengths of the nearest point of grass relief with a one-stroke penalty. If the ball is not found, the player may drop a ball within two club lengths at point of grass relief where it is reasonably determined to have entered the desert with a one-stroke penalty.

Max Score and when to pick up - Max score written on the card will be Net Double Bogey for net scores (For each hole you will write down a gross and net score on the card). We will be playing some nice courses that many of our members may not have played before so I will not make anyone pick up a ball when max score is reached. But if a group is falling behind the group in front of them I would ask that they make a reasonable effort to keep up and this is a great way to do it.

Club goals should be to have fun, keep up with pace of play and the rules should be reasonable.

Skins Pot: $5 gross skins & $5 net skins = $10 per golfer

Although we encourage everyone to enter the skins pot, it is optional. You can pay anytime up until your tee time via Venmo (@AZTHP); please include your forum name when paying. With both gross & net skins, everyone has a chance to walk away with some cash!

We’ve got less than a week till the inaugural event.....any questions?

Also before our first event we want to thank @JB and @GolferGal. This forum is simply amazing and this club could not have happened without your efforts to build this community.

We've met so many amazing people from this site and your events have given inspiration for this club. We hope that we are able to continue to support your chosen charity through golf.

This has grown faster than we could imagine and it is because of THP. All members just want to say thank you.

Thanks to JB, GolferGal and THE Wildcat4life and all the others trying to make this club great. It is going to be fun

We’ve got less than a week till the inaugural event.....any questions?

This might be kind of basic, but I haven't played since late February, so I don't know what to expect in terms of Covid restrictions. What should we expect at Sewailo? Is there water available on the course? I am guessing we are riding carts solo? Hole/cup modifications?

And then there is meetup logistics - since I am a total newbie to the AZ THP crowd, I guess I'll have to figure out who is who when I get there, but that's OK. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

This might be kind of basic, but I haven't played since late February, so I don't know what to expect in terms of Covid restrictions. What should we expect at Sewailo? Is there water available on the course? I am guessing we are riding carts solo? Hole/cup modifications?

And then there is meetup logistics - since I am a total newbie to the AZ THP crowd, I guess I'll have to figure out who is who when I get there, but that's OK. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
The range is included at sewailo, so get there early. As of today, sewailo still has single rider carts. There is foam in the cup, but it sits far enough down for your ball to go in. There is water available on the course, but no coolers on the cart. You can bring your own water, but you can buy other beverages from the cart. The group you are playing with: look for a dude that looks a little like Seth Rogan and is rocking a Michigan golf bag. The tee times are in the op and we have some rules we are using to help pace of play that are posted in one of the first few posts in the thread. Skins game and you Venmo roadrunner before we tee off and he will pay out winners with Venmo. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions. It is going to be fun!

I have a black and red Sun Mountain bag with an Oklahoma Sooner driver cover.

Last edited:

Oh brother, we'll find you. Even if we have to scream "sourmash" on the range. :LOL:

You'll be able to tell by the buzz at the range, bro. Trust me. I was the same way when I first met these guys back in December. I had never met anyone and I found Chris within minutes (he'll be the guy that looks like he's wrangling kittens). You can just tell.

Hey are we doing a closest to the pin?

If all else fails, look for the biggest guy there and there's a good chance it will be me or Patrick.

Oh brother, we'll find you. Even if we have to scream "sourmash" on the range. :LOL:

You'll be able to tell by the buzz at the range, bro. Trust me. I was the same way when I first met these guys back in December. I had never met anyone and I found Chris within minutes (he'll be the guy that looks like he's wrangling kittens). You can just tell.
Almost everyone at sewailo knows me. Just tell them you are with Chris. But still pay @robrandalgz lol

The range is included at sewailo, so get there early. As of today, sewailo still has single rider carts. There is foam in the cup, but it sits far enough down for your ball to go in. There is water available on the course, but no coolers on the cart. You can bring your own water, but you can buy other beverages from the cart. The group you are playing with: look for a dude that looks a little like Seth Rogan and is rocking a Michigan golf bag. The tee times are in the op and we have some rules we are using to help pace of play that are posted in one of the first few posts in the thread. Skins game and you Venmo roadrunner before we tee off and he will pay out winners with Venmo. Don’t hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions. It is going to be fun!

I have a black and red Sun Mountain bag with an Oklahoma Sooner driver cover.
Look for the old guy with an oversized Titleist hat and roadrunner driver headcover...you’re in my group!

I’ve blocked out a whole hr of tee times. Anyone at the range is likely THP

Back