Arizona vs Texas A Call Out Thread: Fixin to Drunk Post

Good news is when you look on VRBO and filter for "sleeps 24" it narrows your search down to something manageable. Ha. Thinking having a nice patio is an option we will want for the post round gatherings.

8a5e70b3.f10.jpg

702f371b.f10.jpg

Good news is when you look on VRBO and filter for "sleeps 24" it narrows your search down to something manageable. Ha. Thinking having a nice patio is an option we will want for the post round gatherings.

8a5e70b3.f10.jpg

702f371b.f10.jpg
That's freakin Awesome!!

I went through and tried to make a list of courses in the area along with what I could see for their rates. I'll add any info I know about the course as well. Any of the Texas guys are welcome to add or correct me on any of the courses.

Lions Municipal- $35+$15 for cart- located near downtown and close to the lake. Interesting course with a lot of history. Very close to getting closed every year.
Barton Creek- $105-$285- They have 4 courses with the cheapest being $105. I haven't played them but know they are nice.
Grey Rock- $85 or $$71 walking after 12- I haven't played here
Falconhead- $89 or $54 after 1- Haven't played here either
Avery Ranch- $85 or $49 after 12- Nice and challenging course. Lots of play so it can be very slow rounds.
Teravista- $69 or $44 after 1- Another good challenging course. It also gets a lot of play and can be slow.
Forest Creek- $69 or$35 after 1- I played this once last January and it was great for the winter. They spent a bunch of money renovating it and everyone I talk to really liked it. It can play long and hard.
Star Ranch- $72 or $49 after 1- This is a great course and conditions are always good. It is pretty open and fairly easy which makes it fun. You used to get breakfast and lunch with this price but I'm not sure if they are still doing that.
Shadow Glen- $69 or $45 after 12- This is a pretty good track that has a couple janky holes but it pretty fun overall. Has been in pretty good shape overall the few times I've played it.
Crystal Falls- $55 or $40 after 1- I haven't played her but have heard it's nice. The downside is it's in hills and has a bunch of blind shots. Might be hard because of that.
Wolfdancer- $75- $140- This is out in Bastrop east of Austin at the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort. It is a good but difficult course. I've played it a couple times in the Austin Skins League and they were able to get rates as low as $55 but I've also seen them at $99 for them.

Avery Ranch, Teravista, Forest Creek and Star Ranch are all north/northeast Austin or Round Rock area. They aren't that far from each other and would work well together for a 2 round day if anyone wants to do that.

This still taking place?!?!! There is always time to switch & come to Florida!!!

I went through and tried to make a list of courses in the area along with what I could see for their rates. I'll add any info I know about the course as well. Any of the Texas guys are welcome to add or correct me on any of the courses.

Lions Municipal- $35+$15 for cart- located near downtown and close to the lake. Interesting course with a lot of history. Very close to getting closed every year.
Barton Creek- $105-$285- They have 4 courses with the cheapest being $105. I haven't played them but know they are nice.
Grey Rock- $85 or $$71 walking after 12- I haven't played here
Falconhead- $89 or $54 after 1- Haven't played here either
Avery Ranch- $85 or $49 after 12- Nice and challenging course. Lots of play so it can be very slow rounds.
Teravista- $69 or $44 after 1- Another good challenging course. It also gets a lot of play and can be slow.
Forest Creek- $69 or$35 after 1- I played this once last January and it was great for the winter. They spent a bunch of money renovating it and everyone I talk to really liked it. It can play long and hard.
Star Ranch- $72 or $49 after 1- This is a great course and conditions are always good. It is pretty open and fairly easy which makes it fun. You used to get breakfast and lunch with this price but I'm not sure if they are still doing that.
Shadow Glen- $69 or $45 after 12- This is a pretty good track that has a couple janky holes but it pretty fun overall. Has been in pretty good shape overall the few times I've played it.
Crystal Falls- $55 or $40 after 1- I haven't played her but have heard it's nice. The downside is it's in hills and has a bunch of blind shots. Might be hard because of that.
Wolfdancer- $75- $140- This is out in Bastrop east of Austin at the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort. It is a good but difficult course. I've played it a couple times in the Austin Skins League and they were able to get rates as low as $55 but I've also seen them at $99 for them.

Avery Ranch, Teravista, Forest Creek and Star Ranch are all north/northeast Austin or Round Rock area. They aren't that far from each other and would work well together for a 2 round day if anyone wants to do that.
If you had to pick top 3 what would they be?

If you had to pick top 3 what would they be?
That's tough. If I were picking 3 that I would want to take people to then I would probably go with:
Wolfdancer- it's a great resort course that is pretty difficult but has a pretty good mix of holes. Also ranked #34 in the state by Dallas Morning News.
Teravista- it's a good challenging course that's always been in good condition when I have played it and is ranked #89.
Star Ranch or Lions Municipal- Seeing as both of the other two courses are pretty long and difficult I though one of the would be good. Star Ranch is a pretty open course that is always in good shape. It is pretty scorable too so it can be a lot of fun. Lions is a short course not far from downtown. Many pros and greats have played this course over the years and still do on occasion.

Now I really liked Forest Creek when I played it. It actually kind of backs up to Star Ranch. Star Ranch is on a hill/platau and gets some wind. Forest Creek is in a neighborhood and has holes along the creek. I think it is gaining a lot of traction after the renovation.

Barton Creek Fazio Canyons- ranked #51 but I've seen it higher. I haven't played it but have heard great things about it and the other Barton Creek Courses. Downside is it's an expensive course to play as are the other. I think the cheapest is still at least $105

That's tough. If I were picking 3 that I would want to take people to then I would probably go with:
Wolfdancer- it's a great resort course that is pretty difficult but has a pretty good mix of holes. Also ranked #34 in the state by Dallas Morning News.
Teravista- it's a good challenging course that's always been in good condition when I have played it and is ranked #89.
Star Ranch or Lions Municipal- Seeing as both of the other two courses are pretty long and difficult I though one of the would be good. Star Ranch is a pretty open course that is always in good shape. It is pretty scorable too so it can be a lot of fun. Lions is a short course not far from downtown. Many pros and greats have played this course over the years and still do on occasion.

Now I really liked Forest Creek when I played it. It actually kind of backs up to Star Ranch. Star Ranch is on a hill/platau and gets some wind. Forest Creek is in a neighborhood and has holes along the creek. I think it is gaining a lot of traction after the renovation.

Barton Creek Fazio Canyons- ranked #51 but I've seen it higher. I haven't played it but have heard great things about it and the other Barton Creek Courses. Downside is it's an expensive course to play as are the other. I think the cheapest is still at least $105

Random 2 rubles worth of commentary: Making a 'trip' to Austin would be remiss if Barton Creek was not played. That is just my opinion. But those courses could be separate for those that want to play before or after.

Random 2 rubles worth of commentary: Making a 'trip' to Austin would be remiss if Barton Creek was not played. That is just my opinion. But those courses could be separate for those that want to play before or after.
It might be that some guys want to play that and others another course. I know for $200+ I'll probably pass on playing it but I know some don't mind that.

My buddy said if any guys come in early or stay late he could get a couple groups, maybe 3, on at Cimarron Hills. It's a Jack Nicklaus course that I have seen ranked anywhere from 30 to 70 in the Texas Top 100 courses. The 18th hole has been called one of the top 10 prettiest holes in Texas and is the hole that Nolan Ryan lives one. The drummer from Aerosmith used to live on it as well. It's is a hard course that can beat you up but is still nice to play. The first pic is from behind 18 green looking at the clubhouse and the 2nd is looking back over the fairway.
1610477233895.png
1610477283951.png

My buddy said if any guys come in early or stay late he could get a couple groups, maybe 3, on at Cimarron Hills. It's a Jack Nicklaus course that I have seen ranked anywhere from 30 to 70 in the Texas Top 100 courses. The 18th hole has been called one of the top 10 prettiest holes in Texas and is the hole that Nolan Ryan lives one. The drummer from Aerosmith used to live on it as well. It's is a hard course that can beat you up but is still nice to play. The first pic is from behind 18 green looking at the clubhouse and the 2nd is looking back over the fairway.
View attachment 8987755
View attachment 8987756
I have not played but want to! I can only imagine the condition it would be in come late September/early October. I could easily be talked into staying an extra day to play before heading back.

I have not played but want to! I can only imagine the condition it would be in come late September/early October. I could easily be talked into staying an extra day to play before heading back.
We might have to do a double header and play it and the ol' Berry Creek too.

In for this...I will def be coming early and staying late to get other courses in...and more.

I guess I have to throw my name into the AZ crew hat for this.

I will start calling golf courses soon, so get in your 3 best in Austin.

I will start calling golf courses soon, so get in your 3 best in Austin.
Depending on where you stay and how far you want to drive. Another couple good options might be Valaar Creek and The Bandit. They wouldn't be too bad of a drive if you were staying in the south Austin area.

Do you know what y'all are looking for as far as the courses? Are you looking to play the best courses or maybe just a solid course with something nearby to do such as getting BBQ at a place near there or having a cool place to hangout and drink a few? Would like to get some other Texans thoughts on courses.

Depending on where you stay and how far you want to drive. Another couple good options might be Valaar Creek and The Bandit. They wouldn't be too bad of a drive if you were staying in the south Austin area.

Do you know what y'all are looking for as far as the courses? Are you looking to play the best courses or maybe just a solid course with something nearby to do such as getting BBQ at a place near there or having a cool place to hangout and drink a few? Would like to get some other Texans thoughts on courses.

Who all are the Austin guys would probably be better to finalize things including drive times.

My limited knowledge would have something like Star Ranch, Barton Creek, and teravista/wolfdancer (depending on if you want to drive out to wolfdancer).

Who all are the Austin guys would probably be better to finalize things including drive times.

My limited knowledge would have something like Star Ranch, Barton Creek, and teravista/wolfdancer (depending on if you want to drive out to wolfdancer).
Star Ranch and Teravista are both good and you could eat at the Salt Lick in Round Rock afterward as it's close to both. Avery Ranch would be another good option and is owned by the same company as Teravista. The drive out to Wolfdancer isn't that bad and I think it would be a course worth travelling to. I've never played any of the Barton Creek courses and I think with them it would be what kind of deal you could get worked out. I play occasionally in the Austin Skins League and they were able to get rates at the end of October for $119 at Fazio Canyons and $60 at Palmer Lakeside. For that those would be well worth it.

Convenient to south and downtown areas and the Lake Travis area:
1. Barton Creek (ask about Lakeside as it might be more affordable and is a fun course)
2. Falconhead
3. Grey Rock
4. Lakecliff

North side:
1. Star Ranch
2. Avery Ranch
3. Terravista

worth the drive courses:
1. Wolf Dancer
2. Vaaler Creek

Overall ranking for a fun experience with convenience in mind:
1. Falconhead
2. Barton Creek Lakeside (the Foothills or Crenshaw courses too if you are up for the extra $$$)
3. Grey Rock

and throw in a drive to either Wolf Dancer or Vaaler Creek.

I think you guys would be happier staying around the downtown area or out toward the lake... the north area of Austin is just not as scenic. Let me know how I can help out @Wildcat4life

1. Barton Creek (if $$$ works)
2. Falconhead
3. Avery Ranch or Greyrock
4. Wolfdancer

Yes!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a league we typically look for $100 green fees and less. Since this is a vacation we might be able to be a little more flexible. I will tell you though the buying power of 24 golfers helps.

As a league we typically look for $100 green fees and less. Since this is a vacation we might be able to be a little more flexible. I will tell you though the buying power of 24 golfers helps.
Dude...we will go do a car wash and earn some ducketts to supplement the cost!!

Back