MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have 3 questions.
1. Who uses one?
2. How long did it take you to comfortable with it?
3. How is it legal?

I have tried a few at golf stores and it is really awkward feeling to have to forward press something that much.

I am not sure how it is legal because that is anchoring in my book.

Doesn't Matt Kuchar and Byrson DeChambeau use the arm lock putters?

We have Johnny Miller to blame for Arm Anchoring

I started using the arm lock method last year using a cut down belly putter. I always questioned in the back of my mind if the putter was set up correctly for arm lock. I tried the Bettinardi and Odyssey arm locks and didn't like the way they fit me. I'm 6' and found that a 40 inch arm lock would be the best fit for me. Searching around the www I came across AR Golf. They offer 3 arm lock models which can be ordered in your desired length, loft and lie. I rolled the dice and ordered a Pendragon Mallet. I am an internet golfer after all and it is our duty to buy things sight unseen. The putter arrived this week and I am more than happy with it. Outstanding fit and finish. Putting on my practice strip has produced excellent results. Very easy to aim, great feel and sound. Now I need to wait for spring to get it out on a course.

It did take a while for me to get comfortable and trust the stroke. As it does with any grip or stroke change, but once I felt comfortable I was a much more consistent putter. Not great but more consistent.

The ruling bodies say it is legal. I will use it until they rule otherwise.

Screenshot_20200119-082326_Chrome.jpg

It's Beautiful.

Internet Engaged

Order Being routed via The Deep Dark Web.

Who she doesn't see the box on the porch :eek:

Never used one, always used a 34 inch putter.

Tried these a couple times was not comfortable for me.

I like the arm lock putting concept. The few times I've tried one it seemed that to "lock the arm against the grip" I needed to adopt an extreme bent over, crouched address posture.

Not tried it but it looks really stable.

I started using the arm lock method last year using a cut down belly putter. I always questioned in the back of my mind if the putter was set up correctly for arm lock. I tried the Bettinardi and Odyssey arm locks and didn't like the way they fit me. I'm 6' and found that a 40 inch arm lock would be the best fit for me. Searching around the www I came across AR Golf. They offer 3 arm lock models which can be ordered in your desired length, loft and lie. I rolled the dice and ordered a Pendragon Mallet. I am an internet golfer after all and it is our duty to buy things sight unseen. The putter arrived this week and I am more than happy with it. Outstanding fit and finish. Putting on my practice strip has produced excellent results. Very easy to aim, great feel and sound. Now I need to wait for spring to get it out on a course.

It did take a while for me to get comfortable and trust the stroke. As it does with any grip or stroke change, but once I felt comfortable I was a much more consistent putter. Not great but more consistent.

The ruling bodies say it is legal. I will use it until they rule otherwise.

I'm 5'11". I tested an Odyssey 40" Arm Lock today just to see what the new inserts are like. I have a 2012/13 model Odyssey Tank Versa 40" two ball belly putter that I've been using. I don't use it as an arm lock because the loft angle is wrong for it, but I still use it because I have a bad back and don't like bending over for a 34" putter because I would NEVER practice putting if I had to do that.

The equipment is legal and will likely remain legal. Same with the 48" broomstick - you just can't anchor the end of the club or have your elbows anchored to your body while you have your thumb over the top of the club. Or in the case of the arm lock putter, have the end of the club braced to your arm above your elbow. If they ever rule the arm lock stroke illegal, just keep the putter and change your grip.

Arm-lock doesn't work for me, not for lack of trying, but the putters are real nice. And very accurate. Congrats on your purchase.

i tried it Sunday and could not figure the arm angle out. I can see where swinging my left arm could help but just did not understand intuitively the mechanics

I built one a couple years To mess around with. It was fun and I used it a couple times on the course but gave up on it after awhile.

Few years back, got an Odyssey Armlock, could Not get the hang of it...last summer got a Bettinardi Kucher style...didn't like the setup and broke it trying to bend it :mad: ...ok...so I found an Odyssey Backstryke two ball...extended and weighted and it Worked! but...two ball is a fairly small head, lacked confidence...ebayed another Odyssey Backstryke, extended, weighted it with sand trap sand, long grip, heated shaft to bend a tiny bit and YES! I'm in business. I'm committed as I have nothing to loose or go back to my Yippy Azz stroke.
iu

maybe I've given this too much thought but I basically see three variations to putting.

- chest mounted- little shoulder rotation, mostly right arm
- arm mounted- left arm and shoulder move in unison. Left arm straight. Hands passive
- normal- elbows somewhat connected to core, rotate core. hands can get active

Though I could not figure the arm mounted putter out. I basically use a stroke that is left arm rigid and left shoulder initiated. I'm able to make a more consistant backswing under pressure.

Normal is what I did for my first 30 years of golf and I was not consistent; though 80% of the tour guys go this direction

maybe I've given this too much thought but I basically see three variations to putting.

- chest mounted- little shoulder rotation, mostly right arm
- arm mounted- left arm and shoulder move in unison. Left arm straight. Hands passive
- normal- elbows somewhat connected to core, rotate core. hands can get active

Though I could not figure the arm mounted putter out. I basically use a stroke that is left arm rigid and left shoulder initiated. I'm able to make a more consistant backswing under pressure.

Normal is what I did for my first 30 years of golf and I was not consistent; though 80% of the tour guys go this direction
In my arm lock I'm pretty much like you stated, activate with left shoulder and straight left arm. I also am left hand low. Putted like that for years prior to trying the arm lock.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I think if we looked at it just from the point of view of the club head we would find that for some people this allows us to take the club back and thru on a more straight line 6 inches before and 3 inches after without much hand motion. It has changed my entire golf game and score. I played Sunday and I had 2 looks at bird; both about 10ft on simple greens. I dropped both. You could put me on a green 4 years ago and I would need 5 balls each to make one.

Took a year, off and on, to really get comfortable with it.

Game changer for me when I started using a claw grip, like Webb Simpson and Jim Furyk. Can’t get along with the V-Line, though.

Have been using an Odyssey 1W. Just reshafted a #7 Mid belly putter to fit as an arm lock. While the armlock method really helps getting the ball started on line, I am looking for a little more help getting lined up. Might try to find a 2 ball with a heavier head to reshaft.

Bottom line, it takes some getting used to, but the concept makes sense and the result is definitely worth the effort.

I have really been struggling lately with my hands on the green. Since I am in The Morgan Cup and a putter is going to be the only equipment I will not receive I am just ordered a Bettinardi Studio Stock S28 Arm Lock putter. I am really looking forward to trying this out. Honestly my short putting cannot get worse so why not.

I have really been struggling lately with my hands on the green. Since I am in The Morgan Cup and a putter is going to be the only equipment I will not receive I am just ordered a Bettinardi Studio Stock S28 Arm Lock putter. I am really looking forward to trying this out. Honestly my short putting cannot get worse so why not.

Ordered a Odyssey Armlock from CPO and have played one round with it and rolled it at home a fair bit. One takeaway is that even if I don't end up playing this as my gamer it is very beneficial for your stroke with a normal putter as well to practice with the armlock. Teaches to take the hands out of it which is my problem (too wristy).

Ordered a Odyssey Armlock from CPO and have played one round with it and rolled it at home a fair bit. One takeaway is that even if I don't end up playing this as my gamer it is very beneficial for your stroke with a normal putter as well to practice with the armlock. Teaches to take the hands out of it which is my problem (too wristy).
Yeah, my hands are very active. The problem I have is I keep them loose in my regular swing and when I start tensing them for putting that creeps into my full swing which can cause problems there.

indeed. I use a very short putter and use it at an extension to my left arm. My right hand is almost not on the club. When I did my putter fitting I said to the fitter this is going to look very odd. He said nope, my putting coach did almost the same thing to me to eliminate my hands.

took me years of putting on a matt in my basement to internalize I was not consistant because I was trying to use the hand to square the face. 1 degree off on a 10ft putt does not go in the hole.

Back