Arm lock putting?

so I took it to the putting green at the muni near my office, and I walked away feeling like this http://youtu.be/N5magAtuOaI

EDIT to add some actual thoughts: I really do feel COMPLETELY awkward and uncomfortable over the ball. One of the problems is that I feel like it's pretty hard to use left-hand low and get the setup correct, and I've been playing left-hand low for 14 of the 15 years I've been playing golf. "Traditional" grip just doesn't feel right to me, so that's part of my problem with this arm lock putter. The other problem is ball position. I'm not sure how far forward it should be, and how much I should be leaning the shaft forward. I'm sure trial and error is a part of the process, but I wonder whether there is a fundamental setup position you need to be in for this style to work. I've watched a couple videos, and I'm still working on it. I have found that locking my elbows against my body does make things feel a bit better, so as long as the rain holds off I'll go back to the putting green and try this again. I have found that this putter and/or this style of putting really promotes an arc stroke, which is weird because I would have thought pendulum, so again I think I'm just not doing it correctly. The setup position also makes it easy to open your shoulders, so I have to concentrate hard on keeping everything square. I have a round scheduled tomorrow at a course with quick greens, so I'm contemplating whether to put this in play.

in short, i'm not in love yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm looking for feedback on arm lock putting. Honestly I really had not considered it until a customer traded in a very lightly used Odyssey arm lock putter. We never stocked them so it was interesting to try one - the putter/stroke appeared stable and to start on line very well. Thoughts?

I bought a new Odyssey arm lock putter and played a few rounds with it. I practiced a while with it and just couldn't get comfortable on the course with it. I suspect it hasn't caught on because fitting is important and for me feeling good in practice didn't equate to comfort on the course. I think that could mean I just needed more time with it, but ended up moving on. I ended up on a SAM Lab to test out three other putters and found for my stroke, none of the (3) were recommended, but I can't find anything that feels as good as my Ping Zing so, I'll keep searching, but that's the only thing I'll game. I live in the Northeast, so I'm actually not able to game anything right now, but that's a whole other story.

I bought a new Odyssey arm lock putter and played a few rounds with it. I practiced a while with it and just couldn't get comfortable on the course with it. I suspect it hasn't caught on because fitting is important and for me feeling good in practice didn't equate to comfort on the course. I think that could mean I just needed more time with it, but ended up moving on. I ended up on a SAM Lab to test out three other putters and found for my stroke, none of the (3) were recommended, but I can't find anything that feels as good as my Ping Zing so, I'll keep searching, but that's the only thing I'll game. I live in the Northeast, so I'm actually not able to game anything right now, but that's a whole other story.

i took a leap of faith and put the putter in play this weekend. while i didn't have my lowest ppr, i felt like even mediocre strokes ended up in good shape. there were a couple poor strokes, but on the whole i was actually really pleased. the greens were very fast, and speed control was much better than expected. i still had 3 putts, but i was only upset about 1 of those, the other 2 were the result of being too far from the hole for my first putt.

i'm getting more comfortable with it, and my buddy who rolls his eyes at me every time i put something new in play (which is way more often than i should), actually said he thought this was a really good move for me.

Back