Arm lock putting?

bellairemi

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking for feedback on arm lock putting. Honestly I really had not considered it until a customer traded in a very lightly used Odyssey arm lock putter. We never stocked them so it was interesting to try one - the putter/stroke appeared stable and to start on line very well. Thoughts?

I just want to second the curiosity in this post. I have long thought that Kuchar was on to something......

I've tried it on the practice greens, never with a putter designed for it. Don't like it.

Ole Gray is starting to try this out, I am sure he will chime in pretty soon.

I'm looking for feedback on arm lock putting. Honestly I really had not considered it until a customer traded in a very lightly used Odyssey arm lock putter. We never stocked them so it was interesting to try one - the putter/stroke appeared stable and to start on line very well. Thoughts?

I recently purchased the Odyssey arm lock #7 putter and love it. Well in the living room I do :D. I have spent a couple hours working with it inside and once I get it on the course, I will post more in this thread. I actually tried this method last year for a few rounds with my regular spider belly putter. Without the 7 degree adjustment built in, it was not the same as what I am feeling with the arm lock. I think it will be a huge success in 2016 when some of the tour pros are looking for an alternative to the belly style. Great thread!

I recently purchased the Odyssey arm lock #7 putter and love it. Well in the living room I do :D. I have spent a couple hours working with it inside and once I get it on the course, I will post more in this thread. I actually tried this method last year for a few rounds with my regular spider belly putter. Without the 7 degree adjustment built in, it was not the same as what I am feeling with the arm lock. I think it will be a huge success in 2016 when some of the tour pros are looking for an alternative to the belly style. Great thread!

Looking forward to your thoughts OG. This has long had my interest as well.

What was most interesting to me was that it immediately accentuated my main stroke error which is allowing the trail shoulder/arm to get outside the inside shoulder. I pulled the first 3 putts 4" left of the hole on a 7 foot putt and could really feel the error. As soon as I concentrated on moving the trail arm down the line, I made everything.

I just want to second the curiosity in this post. I have long thought that Kuchar was on to something......

What was most interesting to me was that it immediately accentuated my main stroke error which is allowing the trail shoulder/arm to get outside the inside shoulder. I pulled the first 3 putts 4" left of the hole on a 7 foot putt and could really feel the error. As soon as I concentrated on moving the trail arm down the line, I made everything.

Which makes sense. The lead arm does just that- lead. With little or no rotation or release. Interesting.

Looking forward to your thoughts OG. This has long had my interest as well.

Just from the short time I have experimented with it, I am finding myself squaring up the putter head much better. It actually feels comfortable for me at setup and it reduces the amount of moving parts during the putting motion.

I almost felt like I was hitting a draw. For some reason, that longer putter really helped me to dial in the correct feel. Heck, I have 4 months at least until I can play outside so might as well buy this one and practice with it.

Which makes sense. The lead arm does just that- lead. With little or no rotation or release. Interesting.

I almost felt like I was hitting a draw. For some reason, that longer putter really helped me to dial in the correct feel. Heck, I have 4 months at least until I can play outside so might as well buy this one and practice with it.

Are you going with the #7?

Just from the short time I have experimented with it, I am finding myself squaring up the putter head much better. It actually feels comfortable for me at setup and it reduces the amount of moving parts during the putting motion.

And less moving SHOULD = more consistency. At least in theory.

No, it is the DART - but for $30 in mint condition, I'll live with it - might try the 7 if the method proves successful.

I bought my #7 of the bay brand new for $99.00 bucks with free shipping. You are getting a steal for $30.00! The stuff your're talking about with the pulls or drawing the ball, is something I noticed at first too. When I put two balls down and made a little gate, I could not miss my putting cup! It's a pretty cool way of putting that I think many will grow fond of.

Before I learned about SeeMore & SPi, I used to putt something like this. I use a left hand low grip (right-handed golfer), and I would use my right (top) hand to "pin" or lock the putter grip against my left forearm. Before this, I was a horrible putter. I became better, but not nearly as good as I am now with the SPi techniques. I would describe my efforts then as consistent but unspectacular (not many 1-putts or long putts made, but avoided 3-putts for the most part.)

Now to be honest, I was using a normal sized putter (Yes! Natalie) with not much loft. I believe Kuchar's Betti has 7 degrees, because to hold it this way is a big forward shaft lean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu98nsvItC4. I wonder what I'd be like using SPi techniques AND this style? I guess this is what counterbalancing is trying to achieve too.

I'd be curious to see if SeeMore has anyone that uses this on their staff. I would think that the two are not mutually exclusive, but the RST ("hide-the-dot") might need readjusted.

Add me to the list of ponderers, I've tried it with a belly putter, but have never tested a true arm luck putter that was made to specs for that stroke. I'd love to mess around with it sometime.

I tried it with the arm lock DART last year for a month. I went away from it as I struggled with getting my shoulders square. I seemed to struggle on long putts distance control as well. I need to list the putter in the bst forum.

Grins: I'm curious as well about SeeMore. May need to ask today.

Having an arm lock with the RST would be ideal. These must not have been too successful in the market though as I do not see them in Odyssey's current line. In fact, I only see the Bettinardi for Kuchar currently on the market.

Before I learned about SeeMore & SPi, I used to putt something like this. I use a left hand low grip (right-handed golfer), and I would use my right (top) hand to "pin" or lock the putter grip against my left forearm. Before this, I was a horrible putter. I became better, but not nearly as good as I am now with the SPi techniques. I would describe my efforts then as consistent but unspectacular (not many 1-putts or long putts made, but avoided 3-putts for the most part.)

Now to be honest, I was using a normal sized putter (Yes! Natalie) with not much loft. I believe Kuchar's Betti has 7 degrees, because to hold it this way is a big forward shaft lean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu98nsvItC4. I wonder what I'd be like using SPi techniques AND this style? I guess this is what counterbalancing is trying to achieve too.

I'd be curious to see if SeeMore has anyone that uses this on their staff. I would think that the two are not mutually exclusive, but the RST ("hide-the-dot") might need readjusted.

Proper tecnique for Arm Lock Putting

Proper tecnique for Arm Lock Putting

I think some that have tried this putter may have not used the correct method to make it work for you. Just saying if you're technique is not correct, you are not using the putter for what is was designed for. Check out the video below for the correct putting style while using an arm lock putter.

For those that have tried this, what length of putter did you choose and how did you determine that length was correct for you?

Having an arm lock with the RST would be ideal. These must not have been too successful in the market though as I do not see them in Odyssey's current line. In fact, I only see the Bettinardi for Kuchar currently on the market.

From what we were told, they killed the Arm Lock due to lack of interest.

For those that have tried this, what length of putter did you choose and how did you determine that length was correct for you?

Cookie -- The 43 inch works best for me.

Hawk -- I may be wrong but this could be the hot thing of the future once the ban on belly putting resurfaces closer to 2016. I also believe more pros who are using the longer putters may gravitate toward this design in the future.

It will definitely be interesting to see. Kuchar certainly makes it work OG!

By rule it cannot extend past your elbow joint so I set up with it and had them cut an inch off standard length (I'm just over 5'9" tall).

Back