Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
Who here armlocks? What made you finally make that decision? Do you feel that it has actually helped?

I ask because, I read an article about Will Zalatoris about how the armlock and copying Webb Simpson putting stroke transformed his game. I have tried arm lock and it felt so uncomfortable and painful I dont think that I could even practice long enough to see if it works.

If i'm green side and feel I need a little "lift" over think fringe, then I use a substantially choked down and pressed forward 8i with an armlock to "chutt". But with my putter, i've not considered using that method.

I have dabbled - I like it. Even though I don't currently use while playing, I do like picking it up on my practice matt as it really reinforces the rocking of the shoulders. It ingrains a good feeling when I transition back to conventional length.

Same. It’s just not for some people, or we’re doing it wrong?

I was going to make a Kimora joke. Missed chance.

I've tested it a bunch, and I think I could comfortably do it. I lose a little feel for distance, but I think with regular use it would become pretty natural. I'm honestly surprised more people don't armlock. They seem more likely to change to an even weirder grip, than to take a big chunk of that variable out by tying it to their forearm.

Dis
I've tested it a bunch, and I think I could comfortably do it. I lose a little feel for distance, but I think with regular use it would become pretty natural. I'm honestly surprised more people don't armlock. They seem more likely to change to an even weirder grip, than to take a big chunk of that variable out by tying it to their forearm.
Distance control is my biggest issue with it. More time needed certainly. I also have only tried 1 armlock set up. More options and availability would certainly help. I thought long and hard about a LAB armlock but investment was too much without having the chance to demo.

I went all in on armlock end of last season. Selling point was the repeatable stroke and confidence for anything under 10 feet. But I never felt comfortable setup over the ball and struggled with distance control on longer putts. Armlock experiment #1 is over for me. I will keep dabbling and at some point — with more guidance and a fitting — try experiment #2. There is merit to this method of putting.

Ban it, no putter longer than 40 inches.

Bought a Odyssey 7 armlock during the winter, didn't start the season with it but have played my last six rounds with it. All I can say is that it's completely transformed my putting, I had 24 putts one round (granted my GIR wasn't excellent...) and other rounds have been both sides of 30. Mine is 42i and 74 lie angle, I like to play it a little further up in my stance so I adjusted the loft to 5 degrees from the std 7. The loft made a huge difference for me playing it further up in my stance and that's what made it click and work for me. I also read that distance control was a problem for many but I haven't had issues with. Let's see how long the honeymoon lasts but don't think it'll be leaving the bag this season.

Have been armlock for 3 seasons now. Took about a year of dabbling before that to take it on full time. Couldn’t get consistent with Kuchar’s grip (more of a ‘normal’ style) but changing to a claw grip, like Webb Simpson, made all the difference in the world for me.

It has been a three-putt avoider for me. Get lined up, rock the shoulders and the only thing to concentrate on is distance. Have never left so many putts within the no-stress zone since my early 40’s. On top of that, I tend to ‘luck’ in more long putts now than I have for many, many years. :alien2:

i have 3 putters converted to armlock and have 2 putters that were built as armlocks. Ball position and alignment are even more important than with traditional putters, because, once you get set up, the ball tends to go where you aim it.

One of the putters I converted is a traditional loft putter with a lot of forward shaft lean, so the ball position is in the middle of the stance. The factory built ones play a little off the front foot. Both positions seem to work well, but the position off the front foot seems to work slightly better. Not sure why, because you would think that the putter face would be more square directly below the shoulders, but hasn’t seemed to make a difference.

p.s. Have a friend who bought a SIK putter, and he is now back to a traditional length putter.

I'm super curious about arm lock and kind of want to try it but not sure if I should get fitted for it first.

When I can get an armlock putter at a decent price, I'll give it try.

I do it. I highly recommend getting fit or fitting yourself for it. The model I have has a double bend shaft in it so I was able to fit myself at home. I needed it significantly more upright for the way I like to hold it and was able to bend it myself since the shaft bends. It took several adjustments to get it just so.

It is harder on long distances to hit it hard. It will significantly improve hitting your line. Obviously it doesn't help distance control at all. I have not used long enough to guage an improvement or not.

Back