Artisan Golf Company

I am waiting for their irons!!:love::love: When I was down there a few years ago they showed me some prototypes...

Mike's not ready to let them loose yet.

Mike's not ready to let them loose yet.
I know...I know.:cry: When he is I will be ready...I know they are going to be expensive so I've been saving up

Nicely done @Desmond i am a huge proponent of counter balance in putters. I do make mine about 1” longer to get the counter really active in feel. Hope that makes sense. Now i need to weigh a 3” clevis pin s that’s what i use. But the heads are heavier than 340, closer to 355-360. I Suspect the counter is much heavier too.

good looking putters, hope they serve you well.

Nicely done @Desmond i am a huge proponent of counter balance in putters. I do make mine about 1” longer to get the counter really active in feel. Hope that makes sense. Now i need to weigh a 3” clevis pin s that’s what i use. But the heads are heavier than 340, closer to 355-360. I Suspect the counter is much heavier too.

Oh, I forgot about the 30g counterweight down the grip.

Excellent write up! And thank you for sharing your experience.

Looks like I need to make my way up to Cow Town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I forgot about the 30g counterweight down the grip.
I think you talked about it. That’s what made me wonder Scott my own use, I’ve been counter weighting putters for many years. It just works for me! Your discussion helped crystallize it.

They will serve me well. It's whether I serve them well - they fit me. So it's the Indian, not the arrow (no offense meant to Indigenous Americans).

For the blade style - this putter is what he calls his compact mallet - John took his wide blade-like mallet and then lengthened it slightly from heel to toe and then decreased the width of the flange. Believe it turned out very artsy-bladee and handsome. Don't know if I would do the sight dot again but it's just a punch - no paint fill.

It is a satin putter finish - no sheen here and the shaft is satin.

Both putters have the same slight hang (think of a Ten S 2 Ball Hang) and are built similarly to my fit - they both roll the same and both have the 30g counterweight in the grip to quiet the hands. The only difference is the finish and the shape.

I went over to my course afterwards and putted with an instructor I know. He kept on taking the blade from me for his practice. I spent about 40 minutes with them and they both played similarly just as John said....

Ft Worth ... John Hatfield ... putter fitting ... Highly recommended.

Oooh, a profile that every golfer can love...
View attachment 9037086
Went classic on the bottom - black, white, satin, and augmented with adjustable weights.
View attachment 9037087

A face that more than your mother will love ....
View attachment 9037088

Handsome is as handsome does...
View attachment 9037089

man, i love that face milling!

man, i love that face milling!

Yes, John and I talked about the milling - he is a perfectionist.

When one of the instructional pros at my course took the blade, he could not stop talking about how much he liked the milling, the feel off the face and how responsive it felt off the ball.

He also said those famous last words: "I've got to go visit them."

Last edited:
See post 121.

Artisan Putters - remind me of a BMW in that Form follows Function.

Not a lot of bejeweled necks here. I realize what some say about the Artisan Putters - they are not a Scotty, Lamb, Burns, Ken Gianetti, Piretti, Bett, Swag, et al in terms of being "glossy, high tech, refined, jeweled up."

But take a look - Form follows Function. The Artisan is fit to you. If you want to get the ball in the hole in less strokes, what better tool than one fit to you and made by the same man who has done this for pros for decades. For example, the finish is all about allowing you to make a stroke and not feel distracted - there is no shine in your face or the shaft when taking a stroke. The milling feels responsive (3 millings of your choice) off the ball and the finest materials and machines are used to make your putter. The man making the putter has 30 yrs of experiencing milling and making clubs for professionals.

I go into Artisan and I see CNC machines, wedge and putter heads neatly laid out, in process or ready for assembly, and who knows what else everywhere. I see titanium hosels in every shape, hosels beautifully machined and finished, you name it, they've got it. They have racks of shafts and boxes with PGA Tour Players names on the boxes. You have history and experience working for ... you.

When you hold an Artisan putter, it says "This is your putter." It feels good in your hands - every aspect of it was fit to you.

The fitter knows your stroke, your tendencies, hand milled it, and built it for you.

And yes, it is expensive but not over the long term. I had 5 putters sitting in a closet that cost more than the two of these and I did not like them that much. Something was lacking. They were not fit to me. They were fit to John Doe. You and I are not John Doe or Joe Smith. Each of us is unique as is our putting, stroke, and mental approach to putting. A putter fit to you will improve all those factors, and add confidence.

Yes, Artisan putters are $900-1000, the fitting is $300 and you get $100 credit. But you also get personally fitted for 3 hours by the man making the putter who has 30 yrs of experience with Hogan, Nike and was involved with Tiger. What is the value of a 3 hr putting lesson from a guy who can look at your stroke and immediately see what's happening and knows the adjustments you want, who knows the characteristics of the putter you need in your hands and at the same time, solve your putting issues.

John doesn't need a SAM or other tech. Yes, I doubted it at first when I heard about John, but then, five minutes with him and you're thinking this is the best money I've ever spent on golf, along with my earlier Artisan Wedge Fitting, and Jon Sinclair's fitting of my driver with TPT golf shafts (www.sinclairgolf.com)... What's it worth - $200/hr? More? 3 hours or more of time. How much is it worth knowing it's you, not the putter. And you can correct you with a few basic reminders from John.

The putter itself is inexpensive when you subtract the education you received.

Yes, we're good.

;)

Get it done when you can.
IMG_0858.jpeg

Last edited:

Interesting...

Played the Artisan (#7 fang style) Saturday at a goat ranch course and made a couple of long putts - 20+ feet. I had several that were going into the cup but did weird things a foot before the hole - like take a 90 deg turn :oops: weird greens. Distance control is good. Lighter putter at 340g so it will take a couple of weeks to adjust. They look good.:D

Glad it’s working out for you. But, with all the work that went into it, I never had any doubt. Still good to see the validation though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Round with the Artisan #7 style (0319) Putter - 28 putts, the highlight being a 40 footer on a par 3. Distance Control was very good.

The number of putts is misleading as my GIR were only 4 with many just off the green by 3-5 yards and my chipping/pitching is typically very good.

Since my score for the round was 80 (6500 yds), it was my short game - chipping and putting that helped. I was not comfortable with driver and my penalty strokes were with driver and one with a 185 approach over water where I thinned the hybrid slightly - hit the front wall and bounced into the crick.

But the putter. I am still getting accustomed to the lighter putter head and new stroke - as the round progressed, I was more confident with what I am supposed to be doing.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 7.58.15 AM.png

Some custom Artisan toe weighting? 😂

First time for my instructor to look at the Artisan putters towards the end of today's lesson and he had a lot of questions about the fitting. He asks a lot of why questions and I say, "Let's get on with it and look at the stroke. You will find out more as I putt." We look at the grip and he doesn't like the meat of the left hand on top of the grip. "Whoever told you that knows nothing about putting." I take some putts. :censored: And you're popping the stroke ... who told you not to move the shoulders. :censored:

I wasn't going to give names.

We got the laser out, moved the ball slightly back from where I had it, which was just inside the left heel, and I noticed that I was addressing the ball slightly towards the toe - I adjusted. I let the shoulders move a little and it become more of a stroke without poppiong and all was right in the world and made about 20 good strokes in a row. "Perfect. Now you're rolling the ball. Just do that."

:LOL:

Artisan Update on their Irons

Left a set of irons for Artisan to rebuild/reshaft, and asked about their new irons.

They had prototypes of MB, Small Cavity (reminded me of a 223), and full cavity (let's call it the 225). Some were fully raw (think custom grinding of sole later in production), others had a satin type, no glare face with chrome on the back of the blade and sole but not the cavity. Numerals were old school Hogan Style. I had reservations about the numeric style - I'd say go your own way. But the founders have a history with the original Hogan Company.

Minimal offset, I looked at the topline of the half-cavity (223 type), asking did you think about beveling to make it look smaller because that's the first thing internet golfers complain about is offset and topline. He looked at it, and said, we've corrected that ... meaning the topline will be thinner, I did not ask how.

But they look very attractive at address. They are taking their time to make them right and get them ready for fitting clubs. Every set will be custom fitted.

Don't look for mass production.:) They will do it right.

Last edited:
Back