Artisan Golf Company

These are like $500/wedges right?

I got both delivered for $621 as memory serves. That’s shipping , fitting , and s400 shafts with bct cord grips. They are the raw finish. You can go up in price with other finish options and shafts I’m sure.

They've been around a bit now, inhabiting the old "Nike Oven" complex in DFW and with the LEGEND Mike Taylor heavily involved in things.

These wedges look so clean! It is great to see companies like this succeed!

I just couldn’t let go of the credit card on this one. Really cool looking though

Thanks to my boy @Pringles for suggesting these wedges, I've booked a fitting in December. Excited to find out what grinds I really need on my wedges.
I am pumped for you man! Hoping to get out there one day myself!

I really want a putter.....

I'm keeping it to myself.....especially if my wedge game improves. Don't want my competition to see what I did. :ROFLMAO:

i'll allow it. a lengthy pm with lots of pictures will suffice!

i'll allow it. a lengthy pm with lots of pictures will suffice!
Pretty excited about it though. Been watching some YouTube videos on Mike Taylor and getting to know his story via some interviews. The finishes they offer from the pics on Instagram are :love:

Pretty excited about it though. Been watching some YouTube videos on Mike Taylor and getting to know his story via some interviews. The finishes they offer from the pics on Instagram are :love:

We talked about this at Horseshoe Bay. I can't wait to see the set up. The process alone is nuts and something I want to do.

Fitting completed yesterday. Really a good time and an interesting process from start to finish. Talked w/ Mike Taylor for a good 30 minutes about almost everything. The guy can chit chat! Got to see both the putter and wedge areas where all the magic happens. Some really cool things in those rooms. Got to meet John Hatfield who does the putter building and design. Both very humbling gentlemen that believe in their product and process.

Never done a wedge fitting before but it went about like what I thought. Measured my current wedges for weight, lie angle, balance, etc. Established some baseline numbers w/ my current wedges. Then went and hit a few shots from 50, 75 and 95 yards. Would hit a few then would get handed another wedge. Rinse and repeat. He was looking at many things but was interesting to see that he was looking at how the different grinds were reacting w/ the ball on the full shots and the end result (left, right, straight).

Down to chipping and pitching and that's where I could really tell the difference between my wedges and theirs. So crisp, so clean w/ theirs. On the very first chip I made w/ one of their wedges I turned and said, "Ok, I felt that, what the heck was that!" He called it the Cheater Grind. Wanted it then and there.

So long story short(er) I need less bounce than I currently have. My miss was thin when I would open the face and with too much bounce my leading edge was catching ball first on not-so-accurate swings. Mystery grinds (Cheater) to help with chipping around the greens. Very positive experience and the guys at Artisan were top notch. Now the wait begins.................

Fitting completed yesterday. Really a good time and an interesting process from start to finish. Talked w/ Mike Taylor for a good 30 minutes about almost everything. The guy can chit chat! Got to see both the putter and wedge areas where all the magic happens. Some really cool things in those rooms. Got to meet John Hatfield who does the putter building and design. Both very humbling gentlemen that believe in their product and process.

Never done a wedge fitting before but it went about like what I thought. Measured my current wedges for weight, lie angle, balance, etc. Established some baseline numbers w/ my current wedges. Then went and hit a few shots from 50, 75 and 95 yards. Would hit a few then would get handed another wedge. Rinse and repeat. He was looking at many things but was interesting to see that he was looking at how the different grinds were reacting w/ the ball on the full shots and the end result (left, right, straight).

Down to chipping and pitching and that's where I could really tell the difference between my wedges and theirs. So crisp, so clean w/ theirs. On the very first chip I made w/ one of their wedges I turned and said, "Ok, I felt that, what the heck was that!" He called it the Cheater Grind. Wanted it then and there.

So long story short(er) I need less bounce than I currently have. My miss was thin when I would open the face and with too much bounce my leading edge was catching ball first on not-so-accurate swings. Mystery grinds (Cheater) to help with chipping around the greens. Very positive experience and the guys at Artisan were top notch. Now the wait begins.................

Interesting, Nate. I'm always looking for bounce at the leading edge and then lots of relief - a C Grind with more trailing edge relief. My cheater grind before was a Titleist D Grind (nominally 12, effectively less with heel and toe relief) and then my instructor did his trailing edge relief grind after his analysis on Trackman to make it even less. Going to do the same thing with my Mizuno T20's next month when I see instructor again.

Good luck with the Artisans.

John and Mike are some of the coolest guys I have ever met in or out of the golf industry. A few years ago I spent 2 hours on the phone with John doing a putter fitting. My Artisan 0217 is the best feeling putter I have ever had will not ever come out of the bag. Last year I was in the DFW area for work and I called John to see if I could stop by to meet him in person to say thank you for the putter. Without hesitation, he says come on down. I spent 3 hours with John, Mike, and all the Artisan staff. There are so many goodies in the old Oven I was in awe. At that time I was able to see prototype putters and the irons. If anyone is seriously considering an Artisan putter or wedge do yourself a favor and get fitted by John and Mike.

Interesting, Nate. I'm always looking for bounce at the leading edge and then lots of relief - a C Grind with more trailing edge relief. My cheater grind before was a Titleist D Grind (nominally 12, effectively less with heel and toe relief) and then my instructor did his trailing edge relief grind after his analysis on Trackman to make it even less. Going to do the same thing with my Mizuno T20's next month when I see instructor again.

Good luck with the Artisans.
I always favored a little more bounce w/ my wedges and I have no earthly idea why. Just got it in my head somehow. But since I play 95% of my golf in harder Texas conditions combined with my swing angle, it just wasn't needed as much for me.

Im so jealous I can’t stand It Nate. I had to cancel my fitting this year with the craziness and not wanting to travel down. Need to make it happen in 2020.

Mike is a legend.

I always favored a little more bounce w/ my wedges and I have no earthly idea why. Just got it in my head somehow. But since I play 95% of my golf in harder Texas conditions combined with my swing angle, it just wasn't needed as much for me.

I understand - I wanted at least 12 at the front of the wedge so I would not dig the leading edge and played ball forward in my stance. Believe I had a Zodiac wedge with low bounce and a leading edge that would cut your fingers and dig holes. It was pre-2005. After that, I avoid anything below 8 of bounce.

But recently, I began taking all of the lag out of my delicate shots and started coming in shallow - don't need 12 of bounce or an M grind - just give me more trailing edge relief. But 6 of bounce can stick when ground is moist. So I could do an Eye 2 grind or a D grind with lots of relief everywhere. But I will keep the higher bounce in the 54 because we run into sprinklers around the green and that low bounce wedge will stick even in Texas clay. Ya' gotta be real precise to let that club head pass your hands on a delicate green side shot. The more you learn...

Im so jealous I can’t stand It Nate. I had to cancel my fitting this year with the craziness and not wanting to travel down. Need to make it happen in 2020.

Mike is a legend.

We talked about Texas towns, best place to eat breakfast in Tulsa, history of Texas, Ft. Worth when it was a gambling town, wedges (of course) and how Lefty has caused many amateurs to get worse w/ their short game.

man i want to do this in a BAD way

We talked about Texas towns, best place to eat breakfast in Tulsa, history of Texas, Ft. Worth when it was a gambling town, wedges (of course) and how Lefty has caused many amateurs to get worse w/ their short game.

Guessing Mr Taylor is not a hinge and hold kinda guy haha

Back