As a follow up to the Speeding Ticket...What is the fastest you have ever gone in a car on the road?

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
On the road not on a closed course or track. Every car I have ever owned I can tell you what the fastest it can go. The fastest top end car I ever owned was a Jaguar XJS...12 cylinder...It wouldn't go 0-60 in record speed...but it would go 60-120 in the same time it took yo go to 60. On route 80 from PA to NJ bobbing and weaving a few cars...just a few cars here and there...but when they are doing 60 and you are doing 152...it's like they are parked and you are doing 90...early around 6am on a Saturday back in 1981...

I have been on the autobohn in Germany traveling over 90 on a bus and over 110 in a car. Yet, I saw some vehicles pass us like we were standing still. Over 100 and people flew by us. Crazy

About 130 mph, in the middle of the desert, in my 71 Camaro, I was still accelerating when I saw the flashing red lights way behind me. I lifted, no brakes, and ended up getting a ticket for doing 80, although the Officer let me know he was sure I was going way faster than that. This was back in the 55 mph days, so it was a pretty substantial ticket.

1968 Ford Thunderbird I had in my youth, thing didn't feel right until you were doing 75. The top of the speedometer was 120 and I had it there multiple times.

155 mph in my 1992 500SEL Mercedes. God I loved that car!!! I hit 155 and let go of the gas so the car kept coasting. I flew 120 right past a cop. He didn’t chase me so I’m guessing he didn’t see me or saw my speed and got over it haha. I hit 150 in my 2006 BMW 325i too.

270-275 km/h, so like 170 mph.

Around 120 in of all things a 2003 Honda Accord. I had just got it and decided to open it up on the interstate after I dropped me date off. I never want to go that fast again at least on an open road. But it was fun for a few seconds.

120 MPH in a 1972 Plymouth Barracuda. I was young and stupid at the time. It was amazing how fast you come up on other cars on the road at that speed. I finally realized if any one of them panicked and moved into my path I would have been screwed.

I had a coach in high school that had a viper. I got scared at 160.

I drove on the Motogrande in central Italy...My rental was a Fiat but it's top end was 185/190 kph going down hill and like 175 on level....Numerous times BMW/MB or Ferrari came up on me like I was standing still...flicking their lights rapidly...I figured out pretty quick to ride in left lane even if I was doing like 115mph...Many were going much much faster.

I had a friend whose dad was a big time lawyer in Wichita, Kansas. His dad had an original 427 Cobra. We took it out on Highway 50 west of Wichita. On the way back in my friend floored it. Man, those telephone poles were going by like fence posts! I glanced over and saw 150 on the speedo. We passed by a cop on the side of the highway, but he didn't even try to pull out to catch us. I was never so scared in my life!!!:p:p:p

110 mph in a Mercedes...whatever convertible model it was. My ex-GF was keeping it for her son, so we took it out for some open road fun. I hit 110, and she reached 130 - - she never stopped reminding me about it! lol

I may or may not have crossed 170 in a car and 180 on a bike on several occasions. (GPS speeds, not speedo)

Oh my, let me say that when I was young I have gone fast enough in a car that the road became pencil sharp in my vision. Those of you that have gone that fast know what I mean. It is a wonder I am alive today to tell about it. When I look back I realize just how much of an idiot I was.

not in the car - but on two wheels i've hit 125 on a local stretch of road on the way into work. (traffic all around - but this stretch at about 9am is fairly dead - no cars in front of me whenever I did it)

Used to have a lot of friend with muscle cars in high school. 100+ was common. In an impala (not mine) we hit 130ish and a pigeon. That was a very very loud noise. ? ?

Most scared at speed was my last bike. I was accelerating into an in ramp and couldnt figure out why everyone on the highway was going so slow, I was right at 100 on the speedo and gently let go of the throttle, and was forevermore very careful with acceleration on that bike.

My first car was my great grandfather's hand me down 84 Crown Victoria. It was his old police car and that thing hauled. Fastest I ever went was around 130 but it would out run just about anything my friends challenged me with.

145mph on a bike, a long time ago. GSXR 1100.

I wasn't driving, but in a guy we know who is a professional driver, we went around 150+ in his modded mustang.

100 in a Dodge Neon - we were running late....

I don't know exactly. Somewhere north of 140 in police car running lights and sirens of course. At those speeds you really shouldn't be watching that speed odometer too much as the slightest error can be catastrophic.

Last edited:
Back