As a follow up to the Speeding Ticket...What is the fastest you have ever gone in a car on the road?

Prob just 115 on a bike. GSX-R600 at a track day.

My mom let me take our 1976 powder blue Lincoln Continental Mark IV to school during my junior year in high school. It had a 460 in it and was powerful, but the suspension was very soft.

Like the immature fool I was, I got it up to 120 on a 2-lane blacktop in Orlando that was surrounded by farm land. The car moved all over the place and I let up on the accelerator before my friends and I got killed!

I have been on the autobohn in Germany traveling over 90 on a bus and over 110 in a car. Yet, I saw some vehicles pass us like we were standing still. Over 100 and people flew by us. Crazy

I had my 1988 Mustang 5.0 LX at a hand calculated 157mph on the autobahn several times. It's true what you say about them passing you like you're standing still. The vast majority of Americans wouldn't make it over there. You MUST stay out of the fast lane unless you're going 100mph+ and even then, you have to keep a good eye on the road behind you to get out of the way.

I was cruising up the autobahn one day with a couple of Porshe 911's at about 140mph. No big deal really. Still had a little bit left. Anyway, apparently after I hung around for a couple of minutes, they decided they'd had enough and they left me like I was sitting still... from 140mph! Another time, I looked back and saw headlights probably a mile behind me. I moved over and the next thing I knew there was a blur... just a blur that blew by me. I can't remember how fast I was going, but likely around 100-110 because I was in our Chevy Tracker and not the Mustang, but that guy had to have been going close to 200mph. It was insane how much ground he made up on me in such a short time span.

Back on topic. Fastest in a car is the 157mph mentioned above. Motorcycle? I had my 1997 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6 up to 160mph (speedo) four times on the highway in Hawaii.

CRX 5th gear redlined speedo pinned and 135 in a Mercedes for a few seconds. Long past the days of always going 100+

Back in the 70's i hit 130 in a 67 Chevelle SS, I have always had the tendency to "Find out" how fast a car would go. the fastest i have gone on an open road was 140 on a gold wing. Faster on a closed course but that was in a Petty Race Car

Somewhere in the 130 range in my stupid teenage years. I still speed but the most I drive anymore is 5-10 over the speed limit usually no more than 80 mph.

True story, my brother, cousin and I were driving back home from a friend's house and trying to make curfew. My brother had recently bought a Cadillac Catera and we were "flying" back down i-494 in MN. At one point, I was begging him to slow down and I looked up at the dash....he was doing 135mph. At this point, I was starting to get mad and then I looked to my right. Two state troopers were side by side with their lights on in the cars talking to each other, right off the side of the interstate. We flew by. They never saw us. Still can't explain it to this day. 135 in a 65 would've been BAD!

I had my 1988 Mustang 5.0 LX at a hand calculated 157mph on the autobahn several times. It's true what you say about them passing you like you're standing still. The vast majority of Americans wouldn't make it over there. You MUST stay out of the fast lane unless you're going 100mph+ and even then, you have to keep a good eye on the road behind you to get out of the way.

I was cruising up the autobahn one day with a couple of Porshe 911's at about 140mph. No big deal really. Still had a little bit left. Anyway, apparently after I hung around for a couple of minutes, they decided they'd had enough and they left me like I was sitting still... from 140mph! Another time, I looked back and saw headlights probably a mile behind me. I moved over and the next thing I knew there was a blur... just a blur that blew by me. I can't remember how fast I was going, but likely around 100-110 because I was in our Chevy Tracker and not the Mustang, but that guy had to have been going close to 200mph. It was insane how much ground he made up on me in such a short time span.

Back on topic. Fastest in a car is the 157mph mentioned above. Motorcycle? I had my 1997 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6 up to 160mph (speedo) four times on the highway in Hawaii.
The Autobahn is so freaking cool. I used to travel from Ansbach to Garmisch almost every weekend. I was in the left lane one time going about 140 mph with left turn signal on when I heard a car behind downshift twice, my mirror was full of F40 Ferrari. I moved over and he walked away from me like I was parked. Then there is the Mercedes 600 type cars that will drive by you at 160 smoking a cigar.

Took my z4 with me to Europe and on the drive across Germany in the still unlimited speed autobahn section I averaged about 120. It is pretty stressful at that speed as you have little time for maneuvers when you come up on other cars, so I backed down to 100 for the rest of the trip

While on a rally (stupid, but still a lot of fun) got north of 160 in a heavily modified Corvette. 150+ on a motorcycle which I definitely wouldn't do again.

120 in my buddy's '70 Camaro that he used to run at the track. I hit 130 on my Motorcycle Honda Interceptor (when I was 20 and invincible). No need to ever try that again.

Because of this thread, I posed this question to my buddies last night at poker night. Man did it lead to some funny stories! Also, I had no idea some of my friends were such risk takers. :rockon:

138mph on my BMW K1600 motorcycle. It's governed and stopped accelerating, otherwise..............

I've hit about a 100 probably close to 10 times. Every time, the cars I was driving in had "governors" on them and wouldn't let me go faster. All of them GM products.

100 in a Dodge Neon - we were running late....

Bet that rattled like it was gonna fall apart, lol.

A year out of HS I bought an almost brand new 1997 Trans Am Ram Air. It had been modified to put out about 500hp by its original owner. It took just under 4.5 seconds to hit 60.

Let me just say that I am lucky to be alive. I redlined in 6th gear at what I’d estimate to be 175, it pegged at 155 and it took a while of coasting before it registered again. This was on a freshly paved dead straight dead flat stretch of a lonely state route where you could see plenty far but man is that a weird feeling knowing you’re going too fast to touch the breaks. I never had it past pegged again but it was fun leaving new corvette owners that “knew” they had the same engine as you and enough of a weight advantage that they “should” be able to go much faster than you could looked shocked when they had no prayer of catching you if they were stock.

I made it back from Myrtle Beach (820 miles) in 9 hours including not moving for an hour due to an accident and stopping for gas twice, so I averaged more than 100 MPH. But I rarely had it much above 120 on straightaways, but it cornered really well so didn’t have it much below that outside of going through the mountains either. Luckily we left very early in the morning and missed all major traffic and cruised through the couple larger cities outside of rush hour.

My buddies mom that I was down there with had a heart attack (not at my driving), but an actual heart attack and I was trying to get him home as quickly as possible. Unfortunately she passed right before I got him back.

At one point in West Virginia I saw a Statie flip around through the median. I needed gas anyways so hit the next exit and watched him go screaming by. By the time he got that old police interceptor with the 5.0 Mustang engine in it up to speed I was likely clear of him by 2+ miles.

Sold it before I got married. Now I wish I’d have kept the car and sold her.

Back