as i improve, so do my clubs? nooboobery epiphany?

chile

Working with Mercury
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
with all the questions we get about which club is best, most forgiving, etc...i had to look in the mirror and ask myself "are you sure it's you?" and my answer was "yes. it's me...but the clubs, too." i have bounced around many a set during my short time and my irons remain (the fitting only reinforced that) even after trying sets that are universally loved (as are my 565's)...i've even dabbled in blades, which didn't kill me, but i got the firsthand feel of what people were/are saying...cycled through many a driver, 3W and hybrid...but back to my topic question...as i improve, does that make my clubs better? or is my gear whoring the product of some mental defect i refuse to acknowledge?

does this even make sense?

depends on how the clubs fit you to begin with, and what you've changed to improve. If you're striking the ball more consistently now, the clubs will feel better too. But, if say your clubs spin way too much or too low for you, even with improving (unless that included a big swing change), the clubs will never fit well. There is no real reason to ever move away from clubs like the 565's unless you want to or they are a bad fit. If they fit well, you can get new clubs for a change of scenery, but it won't necessarily help much if those 565's already fit well.

Your clubs get better in the sense that as we get better we tend to more often hit the same area on the club so you can get a bit better idea of where the ball is going as you line up.

I can tell you my irons got better and significantly longer this year than they were last year as I play more. When I started I don't think my 7i went 100 yards and now with a good hit PW goes that far.

i will add that getting fit contributed greatly to my confidence in my clubs...except my irons were what i had put together, and the fitter said they were a good fit for me if i wasn't dead set on buying irons

and i think part of it is that i don't want to believe it's me, it's the club, when i hit a bad shot :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Like a lot of things in life, what is best for someone else isn't necessarily the best for you, so the most forgiving club marker for example, is only really relevant to the person who tested all of the clubs before making that decision

I get why people insist on trying every single club, but if you find something that works well for you, I would say stick with it until it is holding you back - a bit like the advice where people say to use the same ball so that you know what to expect, the same applies to clubs in my opinion
If you know that the clubs are right for you, then the quality of your game is down to you, and how many tour pros have clubs in their bags that you wouldn't have expected to see years ago

I went from my Srixon Z545 (with Tour130 R flex shafts) irons to my combo set of Z785 / Z-Forged (with Tour105 X flex shafts) but that was because my swing changed a lot from when I was originally fitted, and the Z545 was holding me back as my delivery and swing speed had all changed - since putting the new clubs in my bag, my handicap has gone down to a low of 7.2 (currently 7.4) as I know what to expect from the clubs and I have the confidence in both them and my swing to be able to get me round a course in a fairly predictable manner

My opinion is those of us that cannot afford to change clubs like our underwear, we make our clubs better as we play them.
While that may be a misnomer, maybe it should be that we don't make the clubs better, we change our swing, our setup or expectations to match the clubs.
If the lie of the clubs are a little off, we stand closer or farther away, if they tend to hook, we weaken our grip, etc....etc...

That being said, a good fitting will actually save you money in the long run. You don't end up buying clubs just to find out they don't quite work for you or meet your expectations.
For years I just bought clubs off the shelf after reading reviews and such. This alway left me wondering if I had made the right purchase.
Once I pulled the trigger on a fitting and bought the clubs the fitter recommended, I have complete confidence in the irons I have and I don't feel like I need to change my normal swing at all to make them work. JMHO

I got an iron fitting at CC and it turned out to be the best investment I could have made (did not buy the clubs there, just had the fitting). My irons have been my strongest part of my game and I continue to use the ones I was fitted for. I am sure though, with different golfers it will depend on who is doing the fitting and how the data is interpreted.

It was obvious for me when a certain iron and shaft was presented in the fitting it simply felt right. The really strange thing is the shaft weight is only 50 grams and most would say with my swing speed it is nuts and should be a much heavier stiffer shaft, but the lighter shaft works.

In about 7 months will be two years with the fitted clubs. So far I see no reason to part with them unless I grab something and some supernatural stuff occurs and I start swinging like a 30 year old pro which is highly unlikely. :cool:

I think it's about 90 or 95% you and then the 5 to 10% is making sure you get the right clubs dialed to you and your swing.

Just my belief

not sure about the clubs, but nooboobery is the most cromulent word I've seen today - great job!

Also I think Nooboobery Epiphany has a new album coming out...

Back