As we near the end of the 2021 golf year, who is committed to an armlock putter?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Title asks the question. I have found more success with a Cobra armlock putter than any other putter in the last several years. I actually tried with a couple other armlock offerings, just to see and those were very average for me, particularly when it comes to distance control. The Cobra just works and I still am committed to having it in the bag.

The one thing that I worry a bit about is using it when I have multiple layers of clothing. I hope that it does not make that “armlock” position unstable, so that the shaft slips around on my arm. We will see as the cold weather golf is upon us.

Anybody else a long term convert?

I was mostly armlock more than a decade ago for two years and again in 2019 for most of the year. It didn’t make me better so I’m on to the next thing. :LOL:

I’d like to try one, but I will not buy just to test.

I used an armlock for a pretty good chunk of time but I just could not get lag putting figured out. I got tired of either leaving long putts several feet short or blowing them past the hole. It was money on short putts though.

I used an armlock for a pretty good chunk of time but I just could not get lag putting figured out. I got tired of either leaving long putts several feet short or blowing them past the hole. It was money on short putts though.
You had the Bettinardi, IIRC? If it is any solace, I loved the looks of the Bettinardi offering and picked one up. I could not get the distance control down with it, either.

You had the Bettinardi, IIRC? If it is any solace, I loved the looks of the Bettinardi offering and picked one up. I could not get the distance control down with it, either.
I actually had the SIK DW. I do wonder if I would have better luck with other brands though.

I keep rolling one of the Sik Bryson style putters at Golf Galaxy and feel real good with it. I may try one eventually. That setup is different than some other arm lock putters I have fooled around with.

I have switched to the Bettinardi ArmLock and very happy with the change.

Recently got an evnroll er5v Midlock to try. I was intrigued bc if I don’t like it I can easily replace to a short slant hosel and normal length shaft. Haven’t been out on the course with it yet but carpet putting with puttout and using a yard stick, results have me intrigued.

I'd really like to try one, but my budget is limiting me!

The Inside the Ropes guys thought a ban to the arm lock putter was coming. Anyone else heard this?

I have a Bettinardi arm lock. It mainly taught me to keepy hands steady. When I do that I putt well with all putters.

I have one in the inventory. I like practicing with it because of what it ingrains in the stroke. But I have other putters that I have had more success with on the course.

I just can't do it. I've tried rolling a couple and it feels so very awkward to me. Putting isn't one of those things I can completely change and feel comfortable.

I haven’t felt the need to go to an arm lock putter…just yet. I could foresee a dipping of my feet in the water in the months to come though.

I just can't do it. I've tried rolling a couple and it feels so very awkward to me. Putting isn't one of those things I can completely change and feel comfortable.
That is kind of where I sit. The set up & stroke just looks so uncomfortable to me.

That is kind of where I sit. The set up & stroke just looks so uncomfortable to me.
It's the setup for me for than anything. I think there is something to the stroke for sure

It's the setup for me for than anything. I think there is something to the stroke for sure

I felt this way when I tried normal armlock putters in the store like the Odyssey Ten armlock, but the evnroll Midlock is less awkward because of less forward shaft lean due to the grip. Def More comfortable, atleast for me.

A couple of years ago I picked up an Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line arm lock putter slightly used to try and at the time did not get comfortable enough with the technique to bring it to the course. Among other things, at 40", I thought it was a bit too long. Flash forward to a couple of weeks ago I watched some videos of Bryson Dechambeau putting and decided to give it another try, this time copying his technique. Thus far its only been indoors on my PuttOUT mat, so puts of 6' and in, but I'm finding that I'm putting a much better roll on the ball than I did this past season putting conventionally.

This weekend I'm going to have the shaft shortened by an inch or so and regripped and try it outdoors next week (its supposed to be in the 50s in RI) particularly on long putts. If all goes well, my plan is to spend the winter practicing indoors, then move to arm lock for 2022.

I think that is why you need to get fit for them. I think the armlock putters need to get fit to your setup and not you adjusting your setup to an armlock putter.

I think that is why you need to get fit for them. I think the armlock putters need to get fit to your setup and not you adjusting your setup to an armlock putter.
Yeah I'm sure fitting is important

Yeah I'm sure fitting is important
Fitting is important but like the one length the fitters need to know what they are fitting. :ROFLMAO: I tried an armlock putter and it felt like it was in my armpit. Sucks being short.

Have been arm locking for 4 years. I admit it took quite a while on-and-off before that to get comfortable with it. Started with a couple Odysseys, then did a couple modifications of my own and added a couple more Odysseys. Finally got a good deal on an original Bettinardi Matt Kuchar 1 and like this one the best. Seems like the loft and lie are the best fit for me with the Betti.
I have found distance control is excellent (yes distance control) and the direction stability is also much improved over traditional length. The final key, again for me, was going to a saw grip instead of a traditional grip. It helps a little with a regulation length, but really made a difference with the arm lock. It takes the right hand push out of the stroke, keeps the shaft more securly against the left arm and takes the wrist flip out of the stroke

If my back recovers I am think I am going to pick up an armlock putter before I head to Tucson in a few weeks. I want to go the Bryson technique which requires a bit different set up. It may be a Sik or another model where they can change the loft and lie.

Back