Asking For A Recommendation On Which Iron Set

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I've got a golfing buddy who interested in getting a new set of irons. He's trying to decide between the Srixon ZX5 or the Apex 21 DCB. He's a mid handicapped golfer who likes to work the ball some. He can hit a 7i about 175 yds. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to advice him. So what advice would you give my friend?

Last edited:
The standard reply is to get a fitting to determine which one works best for him, but I'll take a different approach...

The ZX5 and Apex DCB are probably not exactly apples to apples. The ZX5 and standard Apex are probably a little more comparable.

The answer to your question is probably depends on what he is looking for and what is he playing right now. The ZX5 and Apex are both game improvement and excellent choices. If he's a mid handicap, he's probably looking to improve his game and both of these clubs would fit the bill. I personally like the ability to order off the Callaway website and customize my selections. They also have a trade-in option which might save him some money if he wants to get rid of his old clubs.

Of course, you can probably go to TGW and customize the ZX5's as well and go to 2nd Swing and sell the old clubs.

In my opinion, this is probably a toss up and will depend on which club looks most appealing to him. If he could hit them both, that might be the clincher. My personal opinion is I'd go with the Apex. I've had two sets of them (CF16's and CF19's) and going to pull the trigger on the 21's when they become available. Just love the feel of them.

Good luck with your decision.

I think it's worth the time and money to get fitted, better than making an expensive mistake.

Is he a decent ball striker but bad short game? Distance with a 7 iron doesn't tell much. Workability is over rated if he isn't hitting greens in regulation. What is holding him back as a mid handicapper? Immediate thought is he doesn't need a "player's distance" iron if he carries a 7 iron 175 yds. Is the 175 carry or carry and rollout? What is his ball flight like? High? Low? Mid? What are his misses like?

If he can hit 7i 175 he doesn't need to worry about distance. By mid handicap I am not sure what you mean is that in the 15-18 range. I would say that might be an Apex 21 vs ZX 5 comparison. I do think the forgiveness of the DCB would be attractive but the Apex 21 sounds to be quite forgiving.

His yardage on the 7i is rollout. His main problem is mostly accuracy. He tends to have a very big dispersion area. I did tell him he should get fitted. His reply was he was considering it. And yes, his HDCP is around 15-18.

Cobra King Tour have enough distance and look/feel great. Apex will always be a part of any discussion. Maybe even Apex pro at that distance. Sounds like he needs a fitting to know for sure.

Back