Assault on the Course?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With the recent events in the NFL, I have tried to draw parallels to golf. If you were watching the PGA Championship and two players got into it. Let's say one of the players slapped the other across the face for wishing his ball to miss the hole and the other took out a club and hit him with it. What do you think would happen?

Sergio would be banned for life.

I would have to imagine that type of behavior in the PGA would require a lifetime ban.

Hard to imagine as golf is the consummate gentlemen's game. But a lifetime ban would probably be appropriate.

Who hit who, and how badly did everyone else on tour want to do the same thing?

it’d probably be a lifetime ban, and that’s unfortunate for all parties

• Admin
So people saying lifetime ban, who gets it? The guy that slapped the other guy first? Or the guy that hit the slapper with a club?

I think it would take something pretty serious for that to happen, but if it did I think it would end there season for sure.

I would think a ban from the tour for a year would happen. But taking a club to hit the person, ban for life.

So people saying lifetime ban, who gets it? The guy that slapped the other guy first? Or the guy that hit the slapper with a club?
I would hope both would receive some sort of ban. Mild aggression is tolerable in contact sports - look at hockey. What happened last night is unacceptable due to the use of a helmet as a weapon.

Golf isn't even close to a contact sport, so I would think any physical altercation should result in some sort of ban (ruled on a case by case basis.)

I wouldn’t go so far as lifetime but minimum of 1 year. Wondering if the player could mount a legal challenge if long or if membership being revoked/suspended would keep it out of the courts. I do think the penalty should be stiffer for the guy who swung first as the second fella probably would have continued walking.

If you hit someone with a club golf, you should be banned from every course. A slap to the face is not good either.

Slap = fine
Using club as a weapon = something between a season and lifetime

I do think the penalty should be stiffer for the guy who swung first as the second fella probably would have continued walking.

So you think the player that slapped the other player should get a stiffer penalty than the one that took a club to him back?

the one who uses the club as a weapon. Golf isn’t a physical contact sport.

but if the slapper constantly hits the other person and that person could use the club in self defense?

Follow this question up with, if you see someone with a lifetime ban, do you speak up?

The club whacker should get criminally charged plus banned for the year. Slapper should be ridiculed, plus a fine.

I'm down for a year or more ban, and criminal charges if appropriate, but a lifetime ban is not an idea I'd get behind for a first time offense. I'm not saying they aren't or won't continue to be a pretty sh*tty person, but people do make mistakes in life. Taking the thing they love most in life away and making them earn it back can change a person for the better. Taking it away forever can have the opposite effect.

I'm down for a year or more ban, and criminal charges if appropriate, but a lifetime ban is not an idea I'd get behind for a first time offense. I'm not saying they aren't or won't continue to be a pretty sh*tty person, but people do make mistakes in life. Taking the thing they love most in life away and making them earn it back can change a person for the better. Taking it away forever can have the opposite effect.

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you, but being banned from the tour does not mean one is taking away golf from a person, right?

Who hit who, and how badly did everyone else on tour want to do the same thing?

it’d probably be a lifetime ban, and that’s unfortunate for all parties

Has to be a lifetime ban when the Korean PGA is banning dudes for years for this:

If someone on the PGA hits anyone else on purpose with a club, think they would get a lifetime ban, as well as criminal charges filed against them by the victim. The same goes for an MLB player using a bat to hit someone else. Ironically, in hockey, this type of behavior is a considered a minor penalty and results in a 2 minute penalty, unless here is an injury, which would cause it to be a 5 minute major.

Assault from either player involved would be a ban for a life, assault charges for both :sneaky:

If someone on the PGA hits anyone else on purpose with a club, think they would get a lifetime ban, as well as criminal charges filed against them by the victim. The same goes for an MLB player using a bat to hit someone else. Ironically, in hockey, this type of behavior is a considered a minor penalty and results in a 2 minute penalty, unless here is an injury, which would cause it to be a 5 minute major.

Although payback with a ball is considered the unwritten rules :ROFLMAO:
Or Clemens here...Oh wait, he was just throwing it to the dug out.

Back