At home $13 Covid rapid test for those who are interested.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
You have to order them in two packs but now that we are starting cold and flu season, some of you may be interested in a test where you don't have to run into a pharmacy or your doctor. I currently have a sore throat/cold and my wife wanted me to test for Covid just because a lot of my symptoms overlap with Covid. It use pretty cool technology where your smartphone gives the results instead of you having to interpret.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 8.54.10 AM.png

Crazy to me this is the world we live in now.

I think that is kind of awesome TBH. Thinking about how it can be done in-home and affordable.

I think that is kind of awesome TBH. Thinking about how it can be done in-home and affordable.
Well TBF free is pretty affordable haha

That's what I was thinking. Most cities have free walk in clinics that bill either to insurance or take the price off if you can't present an insurance card right now.

indeed it is, but not all rapid testing is free and still not available everywhere. This is home and a rapid test.

We have to test weekly for work now. Similar product being used.

indeed it is, but not all rapid testing is free and still not available everywhere. This is home and a rapid test.
It's not? Weird I thought it was here, maybe its different depending on where you live. It is certainly convenient to do in the privacy of your own home

Thanks for posting this.

Good luck finding them around here. We’re hit hard. I got 8 of them in for my pharmacy, once. They were gone inside of 5-10 minutes. Not a bad idea to have some around IMO in case an employer were to require one to go back, etc etc.

It took 3 days to get tested here and 5 days for results at the worst of it. I had people fully recovered before they got their positive back.

The CVS I go to has been out of their free Covid tests for a while. I may need to go this route if I ever need testing.

You can get them at Walgreens, Walmart, Target, Publix, Kroger, CVS, pretty much anywhere that has a pharmacy you can get the 2 pack now. They make it a 2 pack because the rapid tests aren't as accurate so they want you to take 2 test in a 48 hour period. I was sick a few weeks ago and learned all about this. And this is WAY cheaper and more efficient then going to a clinic to get a test.

I was terrified of the pain of the swap going into my brain, but you don't need to go that high with these, so it's super easy.

That's what I was thinking. Most cities have free walk in clinics that bill either to insurance or take the price off if you can't present an insurance card right now.

Unless you are self employed and your insurance is a hot piece of trash that doesn't cover anything except if you get cancer. I had to get a covid test at a clinic, cost me almost $200.

Unless you are self employed and your insurance is a hot piece of trash that doesn't cover anything except if you get cancer. I had to get a covid test at a clinic, cost me almost $200.
Holy **** really? I just saw Walgreens here does them for free 🤷‍♂️

Holy **** really? I just saw Walgreens here does them for free 🤷‍♂️

Not if you have "insurance". My insurance doesn't cover jack sh!t. You know all the signs that say free flu shots? Yeah, not with my insurance, mine doesn't cover it, or if you get the flu, they don't cover any prescriptions either. I'm in the process of trying to switch to a local company that works with self employed people.

If you have insurance. My insurance doesn't cover jack sh!t. You know all the signs that say free flu shots? Yeah, not with my insurance, mine doesn't cover it, or if you get the flu, they don't cover any prescriptions either. I'm in the process of trying to switch to a local company that works with self employed people.
Wow I had no idea you needed insurance to get them for free. I don't get flu shots so never knew that. Isn't that false advertising?

I had no idea of this. It's so advertised where I live that you can't throw a rock and not hit a place that either gives you the vaccine or a test it seems. There are entire clinics set up for either testing or for walk in clinics specifically for Covid. I am in the same camp as @jdtox that it's just what it is and fully available to everyone at any time if they are presenting symptoms.

I have a total of almost 1400 associates over 4 states and we've never run into this issue - I'm sad that it costed you so much and was so inconvenient - I hope it gets better for you in the future.

Not if you have "insurance". My insurance doesn't cover jack sh!t. You know all the signs that say free flu shots? Yeah, not with my insurance, mine doesn't cover it, or if you get the flu, they don't cover any prescriptions either. I'm in the process of trying to switch to a local company that works with self employed people.
This is crazy to learn, we have walk in clinics where you literally show up (basically) no questions asked and get your poke. Very different than what I've had most of my life.

Walmart has the Binax at home tests for $14. Thee are the ones I use. Be aware, they are significantly more accurate when symptoms are present, i.e. there is a higher instance of false negatives than false positives.

I had no idea of this. It's so advertised where I live that you can't throw a rock and not hit a place that either gives you the vaccine or a test it seems. There are entire clinics set up for either testing or for walk in clinics specifically for Covid. I am in the same camp as @jdtox that it's just what it is and fully available to everyone at any time if they are presenting symptoms.

I have a total of almost 1400 associates over 4 states and we've never run into this issue - I'm sad that it costed you so much and was so inconvenient - I hope it gets better for you in the future.

I think early on with COVID you could get tested for free, and maybe at the health department you still can, but not at a local clinic, at least not here. You can still get the vaccine for free, but not a flu shot. That is free for basically all insurance except mine, but really I have catastrophe coverage right now, so it really just covers if we get cancer or really seriously ill. But I refused to pay $1000/month for insurance with a $15,000/person deductible for slightly better than catastrophe coverage, I just can't do it.

This is crazy to learn, we have walk in clinics where you literally show up (basically) no questions asked and get your poke. Very different than what I've had most of my life.

Both in FL and here in TN when I went to get a flu shot because my sister made me in order to see my nephew I had to pay. I checked every clinic and pharmacy and they all said my insurance wouldn't cover it. It wasn't expensive, maybe $20, but it wasn't free.

We had some sick kids and bought some at home tests. Not this brand but they worked fantastic. From all that I am reading the accuracy is very good.

Walmart has the Binax at home tests for $14. Thee are the ones I use. Be aware, they are significantly more accurate when symptoms are present, i.e. there is a higher instance of false negatives than false positives.

This is the one work is using. We have to test once a week if vaccinated and every day if not. Actually getting push back from some co workers. Don’t take it, don’t come to work pretty simple. ;)

Both in FL and here in TN when I went to get a flu shot because my sister made me in order to see my nephew I had to pay. I checked every clinic and pharmacy and they all said my insurance wouldn't cover it. It wasn't expensive, maybe $20, but it wasn't free.
Insurance was a big part of me selling my business and going to the corporate world. Not the only reason but as I get older it’s bigger and bigger. Pension was actually the biggest reason.

Back