At what distance do you lay up?

I was just reading an article about how one should layup from 180 yards or more out from the green. Not sure how old the article was as it’s a bit of click bait, but I wonder if the math really would hold true.

So, how close would you be to truly think about laying up?

Here was the picture from the article:

View attachment 8915626
This is essentially saying that if you shoot 90’s+, you need to be laying up on a ton of par 3’s. I’m not sure how they came up with this other than trying to be click bait. Even saying scratch golfers should lay up at 220 is a bit of a stretch, again, because there are plenty of par 3’s pushing that distance out there. I wouldn’t start throwing the toss up idea until around that 220 mark if there was danger. If not, I’d only really start laying up around 250/260 because then it starts to get iffy about making it there. But yea, if there is danger that number comes way down.

hazards tell me whether i am laying up or not if i and 210 and under. anything over 210 i probably can't make it there anyway.

I think for me it is all about if their are forced carries or trouble to one side or the other. From 180-200 I am not laying up if their are no forced carries. It just doesn't make sense even if I miss the green I can still chip on to get up and down where 75 out I can still miss the green or leave a super long putt. I personally think it is more about course management instead of being black and white with yardages.

Outside of club tournaments, the words lay up are not in my vocabulary. More probable than not I will attempt the hero shot. I’d rather try and fail than not try at all.

I will lay up when the ball is on the green, I'm always going for it!:)

Generally going for it...

This is non-sensical to me. The purpose of laying up is to set up your next shot To give you the best chance of getting up and down. Whether one should lay up depends not as much on the yardage to the flagstick, but what trouble there is around the green and what yardage the player is most comfortable with. I am more confident from 50 yards and in than I am from, say, 100 yards, so why would I ever lay up, simply from a yardage perspective. However, if there is forced carry, or I need a particular angle into the flagstick, I might well lay up.

Last edited:
It depends. Depends on the hole, terrain, hazards etc. AAAAnd how well Im hitting it that day

Never ;)

I rarely lay up if I have an iron in my hands so 215 and in I’m going for it. I often lay up beyond 230 if there is OB or water hazards around the green which is common for many of the courses I play. If I have a window to roll it up with only bunker as the main hazards around the green I’ll go for it from up to 265ish but beyond that I’m laying up almost 100% of the time.

For me it’s not really a number but more about the position and lay out around the green. Are there hazards? Now if I’m 280 out I’m gonna shoot for that 80-100 yard range.
Agree with this!

Back