Attempted theft on golf course - watch your valuables!

orchard53

Reaction score
I have been heeding the warnings about not leaving valuables in your vehicle while golfing. Yesterday was a new low for our group. While playing a public course near San Francisco, one of the foursomes had a teen jump in their cart and take off across the golf course heading for a property fence and accomplices. Several other members were able to chase him down at the fence but he jumped over and got away.
Reported this to the pro shop - their response was that was the third time this week. So you may want to rethink where you keep your wallet, phone, cash, etc. Their method was wait until group is on green, then grab cart and take off. Appears their goal is phones, wallets, cash, more so than clubs.

Thinking I may start taking keys to the cart to the green with me, and using a lockbox in my vehicle. At several of the courses I play, you see walkers on trails and paths and I never considered them as potential thieves.

"Teens"...

That's terrible - I'd never considered that someone might try and steal the whole cart!

Times are hard I guess.

I have been heeding the warnings about not leaving valuables in your vehicle while golfing. Yesterday was a new low for our group. While playing a public course near San Francisco, one of the foursomes had a teen jump in their cart and take off across the golf course heading for a property fence and accomplices. Several other members were able to chase him down at the fence but he jumped over and got away.
Reported this to the pro shop - their response was that was the third time this week. So you may want to rethink where you keep your wallet, phone, cash, etc. Their method was wait until group is on green, then grab cart and take off. Appears their goal is phones, wallets, cash, more so than clubs.

Thinking I may start taking keys to the cart to the green with me, and using a lockbox in my vehicle. At several of the courses I play, you see walkers on trails and paths and I never considered them as potential thieves.

That or you leave CA for a state that actually cares about its citizens and crime

California has that stupid law where anything stolen with a value under $1000 is just a misdemeanor or won’t even get prosecuted. So people can steal all day everyday as long as every theft is under a grand.

Wow ridiculous

"Teens"...
As a senior that was my perception... could have been a young adult. But no fear or anxiety, walked around looking to catch a group on the green. Just glad we drove by after a tee shot.

Had this happen to me several years ago. I was out with my youngest daughter, who was just riding with me. She was probably in the 4th, or 5th grade at the time.

Two youngster took off in our cart. Parked the cart 4 holes down (1700 yds?) and jump a fence into strip mall parking lot.

Apparently the boys just wanted a ride, as they didn't take anything.

On the way home my daughter told me she knew who boys were. That they were in her class at school. I told her next time she saw them, tell them that the guy whose cart they took called the cops.

The thieves lurking on golf courses in my area are crows and magpies. If food is left in an unattended cart, it is at serious risk of disappearing.

Wow that's pretty crazy, never would have thought of having the whole cart stolen.

Wow that's pretty crazy, never would have thought of having the whole cart stolen.
I don't think they planned on keeping the cart, just getting to a place where they could grab the valuables and take off. By the time you catch on your cart is being driven away, that's a pretty good head start. wouldn't take them long to grab cash, phones, wallet, etc.

Yeesh, that'll get you shot around here.
Up here in the hills it will, too. I golf with two guys who pack while they play (I've never understood why but whatever). That kid would have lead in his @ss (or head) before he even got close to a fence.

Being that he's in San Francisco, I'm sure he has no fear of getting shot by a law abiding citizen.

In AZ he could get shot (also by a law abiding citizen). 🤷‍♂️

Wow, that's unreal. Worse yet, no punishment for under $1000 :wtf:

Guess the local Walgreens was picked through.

Up here in the hills it will, too. I golf with two guys who pack while they play (I've never understood why but whatever). That kid would have lead in his @ss (or head) before he even got close to a fence.

Being that he's in San Francisco, I'm sure he has no fear of getting shot by a law abiding citizen.

In AZ he could get shot (also by a law abiding citizen). 🤷‍♂️
Stealing a golf cart is fearing for your life? Best of luck to you in you escalate the situation to that level.

California has that stupid law where anything stolen with a value under $1000 is just a misdemeanor or won’t even get prosecuted. So people can steal all day everyday as long as every theft is under a grand.
Petty Theft is a misdemeanor only violation in California. If the value is higher than $950, then it becomes a different charge. If you are convicted of a Petty Theft, you could be sentenced to County Jail for up to 180 days. You would be required to serve 50% of that time. You would also be required to pay back the item that you took in the form of Restitution.

Back