Audiophiles - Help ......Hi-Res Lossless Audio

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

Any audio experts out there?

Looking to get into the Hi-Res Lossless audio world.

I now have a Sonos Arc full setup (Arc, sub and two One surrounds). So looking to set that up to support the best musical streaming quality possible.

Also curious to learn more about how to play Hi-Res lossless audio via my iphone or ipad etc..

Do I need a DAC to support Hi-Res audio playback? If so, can you recommend a reasonable one for a noob?

Just getting into this, so not well informed yet. Thought it might be interesting to throw this out to the THP crowd, as I know there are some fellow nerds out there that love the techy stuff.

Any advise, links, thoughts, ideas?

This article will give you basic info on lossless audio and high resolution audio.

You can play high resolution audio from your Iphone or Android as these files can be your normal .WAV files or even a compressed file such as FLAC. What you need is a player for your phone or laptop. I use Vox, there is a free version and a Premium version at $49 annually. https://vox.rocks/

Hope that helps

Hey guys,

Any audio experts out there?

Looking to get into the Hi-Res Lossless audio world.

I now have a Sonos Arc full setup (Arc, sub and two One surrounds). So looking to set that up to support the best musical streaming quality possible.

Also curious to learn more about how to play Hi-Res lossless audio via my iphone or ipad etc..

Do I need a DAC to support Hi-Res audio playback? If so, can you recommend a reasonable one for a noob?

Just getting into this, so not well informed yet. Thought it might be interesting to throw this out to the THP crowd, as I know there are some fellow nerds out there that love the techy stuff.

Any advise, links, thoughts, ideas?

This article will give you basic info on lossless audio and high resolution audio.

You can play high resolution audio from your Iphone or Android as these files can be your normal .WAV files or even a compressed file such as FLAC. What you need is a player for your phone or laptop. I use Vox, there is a free version and a Premium version at $49 annually. https://vox.rocks/

Hope that helps

Do you use a DAC connected to your phone?

Apple Music has been converting all their music to Lossless and Hig-Res over the last year.

Cambridge Audio makes a decent DAC for $199.

942FABC7-CA70-484C-AB02-17FC1C46A267.jpeg

I just posted on the streaming thread about the streaming service Tidal.

They offer uncompressed lossless streaming in a UI like Spotify. I used to have it and it was great, particularly through aptx-HD capable headphones.

They do a 30 day free trial for the full package.

Last edited:
No, I can convert all WAV files (CDs etc) to FLAC using something like this http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html
Although that program will not tag the FLAC files so you are left with Track 1, Track 2 etc. For tagging I used this in the past and it's pretty easy but it has been awhile. http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ I am sure this some program out there that will convert and tag FLACs.

I have all my music on a variety of hard drives, about 4 TBs worth.

The DACs are great if you don't want to 1) load WAV files, 2) convert WAV to FLAC, 3) Store the FLACs on a Hard drive.

Do you use a DAC connected to your phone?

TagScanner is another good free program for editing everything including artwork. It supports FLAC too.

I play 100% of my music at home on CD or vinyl.
I've got a million compilation tapes made on audio cassette but no still-working equipment on which to play them.
I loved to play them in my old Town Car back in more sensible times.

I also liked to record music on VHS tapes. You had to input a video source of some kind for timing, but you didn't use it to play the music.
But I couldn't play them in the car so I needed to use the little cassettes for that. I played the bigger format compilation tapes at home because they sounded better..

Don't know anything about streaming services or how to use them.
Wouldn't know where to begin.
It's what everybody does now. Probably everybody but me.

I do like vacuum tube amplifiers, though. I have an MC275 powering my JBL JRX 225s.
That's because I was born when the whole world was still in black and white.
The glow of the tunes is strangely comforting.

I do have an FM tuner, but mostly I use it to hear the Red Sox radio crew while I'm watching the TV picture
because the TV crew screws around too much and I have no sense of humor when it comes to baseball..

I can't hear crap on the flat screen's little built in speakers so I use the hi fi set for TV as well as music.

Young people find me to be a complete luddite when they see me playing records or using my 1990s style flip phone.
I've never taken a photo with a telephone or sent a text.
No point learning at this stage of the game.
In my own defense, I've RECEIVED texts telling me that my Chinese food was ready to pick up.

Hi Res Lossless?
Can you play Sinatra on that?

I play 100% of my music at home on CD or vinyl.
I've got a million compilation tapes made on audio cassette but no still-working equipment on which to play them.
I loved to play them in my old Town Car back in more sensible times.

I also liked to record music on VHS tapes. You had to input a video source of some kind for timing, but you didn't use it to play the music.
But I couldn't play them in the car so I needed to use the little cassettes for that. I played the bigger format compilation tapes at home because they sounded better..

Don't know anything about streaming services or how to use them.
Wouldn't know where to begin.
It's what everybody does now. Probably everybody but me.

I do like vacuum tube amplifiers, though. I have an MC275 powering my JBL JRX 225s.
That's because I was born when the whole world was still in black and white.
The glow of the tunes is strangely comforting.

I do have an FM tuner, but mostly I use it to hear the Red Sox radio crew while I'm watching the TV picture
because the TV crew screws around too much and I have no sense of humor when it comes to baseball..

I can't hear crap on the flat screen's little built in speakers so I use the hi fi set for TV as well as music.

Young people find me to be a complete luddite when they see me playing records or using my 1990s style flip phone.
I've never taken a photo with a telephone or sent a text.
No point learning at this stage of the game.
In my own defense, I've RECEIVED texts telling me that my Chinese food was ready to pick up.

Hi Res Lossless?
Can you play Sinatra on that?

I give that impression, I know, but I'm happy that you guys enjoy your new stuff!

I give that impression, I know, but I'm happy that you guys enjoy your new stuff!

Just messin! All love! Also, you could be happy to know that as I do more digging into this audiophile mumbojumbo, it seems there are lots of folks (all ages) that love vinyl for their music. More so than I thought I'd find.

Back