Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 1-3, THP style

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello friends!

From the Augusta National Golf Club and places far and wide, THP presents a tour of Augusta National Golf Club. We have an opportunity to do something we've never formally done before, in this tradition unlike any other. While we wait for worldwide health conditions to improve and better news to be in our morning papers, @ddec and I will spend the next 6 days giving you our unique perspective and tips on how to get around Augusta National's famed hallowed as only we know how. So grab your favorite shade of green, a pimento cheese sandwich, and fire up the music that we probably can't play due to copyright reasons and let's step onto the first tee. Our pin sheet this year will be the 2019 Sunday pins, because they're the latest we could find.

2019-masters-sunday-pin-sheet.jpg

The yardage. To quote Verne Lundquist, "OH. MY. GOODNESS." With the lengthening of hole 5, the course has the ability to play at a mere 7,475 yds. Child's play right? Yeah, not so much. So to make it fun for all of us, chime in with how you would play it. But, you'll be playing from the members tees, at 6,365. Little more THP friendly yardages there. The first post in my 9 holes of breakdown will be how the pros should play it, and then sometime during the day, I'll throw in how I would play it based on the shorter yardage. All yardage carries are given from the back of the tee markers, because it only gets easier as the tees move forward. We're off to the first tee!

Hole 1: Tea Olive. 445yds tournament, 365 member

89_big.jpg

It's funny, even in video games and photos, it doesn't do this hole justice with the elevation change from tee to the low spot, and then back up the fairway. For the first 165 yards or so off the tee, it is a downhill drop of roughly 31 feet before the steep rise UP the fairway, as you approach the fairway bunker there on the right. In 2019, it plays as the 13th hardest hole on the course with that Sunday pin placement at 3.95 scoring average. The touring professional has a few options: Choice A: Hit something that leaves you short of the uphill bunker that begins at 284. Choice B: Attempt to fly that bunker at 319yds uphill. Choice C: thread the needle and hope you hit the fairway between the bunker and the left tree line, at most 30 yards wide. From there, you face a short to possible mid iron approach into this difficult yet receptive green.

Hole 2: Pink Dogwood. 575yds professional, 515 member

91_big.jpg

This par 5 in two can be reachable by the long hitters, provided they can turn their tee shot over right to left and catch a slope in the fairway that can turn this daunting second into an easier, yet still challenging second shot. The tee shot here is critical though through the chute of trees. Too far pulled or pushed offline can knock your tee shot anywhere but where you want it. Overhook it into the trees on the left, and you could bring double bogey or higher into play obscenely quickly. Right doesn't look much fun either. 303yds from the back of the tee box to the lone fairway bunker on this hole, and the tee shot plays 52ft downhill just to the bunker, making it much more in play than one can realize. The perfect drive that turns over enough to keep the fairway bunker out of play, can catch that slope in this fairway and give some extra distance. The professional is now left with the decision of lay up and hope for a well struck wedge shot, or try and hit a long club that can potentially reach even just the front of this green and let the slope and contours bring the ball closer to the traditional back right pin placement. This hole played the 15th toughest in 2019, averaging 4.69 for the players. 310yds off the tee will roughly give the professional 252 yards to the front edge, playing downhill another near 18yds downhill. If they have the firepower, many will try and give this par 5 a chance in two knowing that they really just have to land it a few yards into this green, and the landing trajectory of a long club alone will have it bound forward enough to catch the large slope in this green. It may not bring it to reasonable eagle chances, but it's a lot easier to make birdie with a two putt than it is trying to flag it close and do it in one.

Hole 3: Flowering Peach. 350yds professional, 340 member

95_big.jpg

The third hole at Augusta National is Flowering Peach. This hole was deemed so near perfect by Dr Alister Mackenzie and Bobby Jones, that it's the least touched hole on Augusta National. Traditionally, players will take a mid iron or so and make sure they take those fairway bunkers out of play. Over, short, whatever. Don't even look at them. From there, it's just a delicate wedge shot into a green that slopes severely from right to left. Depending on wind and course firmness, the longer players have been electing to hit driver as close to the green as possible, thinking that a flip wedge from the low spot to this elevated green is easier than a full shot. It was tied for the 8th toughest hole in 2019 on Sunday, after days of being near the bottom third of difficult holes on the course. It may have been the pin location raising its difficulty, as anything right of the hole on 3 is going to leave you with a severe downhill putt that can easily get away from the player if they just misjudge their pace a little too firm.

@ddec will be walking you through holes 4, 5, and 6 on Wednesday. Until then, let's hear how you would play them.

Good stuff Wardy! These 3 holes are almost too perfect of a start for the Augusta National masterpiece. A par, birdie, birdie start for many players on a Sunday almost means they will be in the hunt come the back 9. I have some thoughts but really looking forward to what others think. Post more in the AM!

Hole 1... So we're thinking it's about 240 uphill to clear the bunker from the member's tees? Wow, gonna need to get all of it to clear it. But this is freaking Augusta, home of the heroic shot! I'm going driver at the bunker all day for two reasons: 1) I probably won't hit it straight anyway and 2) I'm sure as heck not going to take a divot out of the first tee box at Augusta with an iron - I'd be mortified!

Most likely, I'll yank it into the pine straw, punch out just short of the green, chip to 20 feet (holy cow they roll out!), lag a putt with no chance and end up with a gimme bogey (we're playing with members, right?). On to 2 and 3 tomorrow!

Fun idea, thanks for putting all the effort into this! Hopefully this is what you're looking for - I'm using realistic yardages for me and assuming that I hit my shots as intended (which wouldn't always happen in real life):

#1: I'd hit a 230 yard drive to the left side of the fairway, leaving me 135 yards. 8i to the right side of the green (avoiding the front left bunker and taking the fat part of the green) and hopefully 2-putt to the back left pin position from there.

#2: 230 yard drive again, landing well short of the fairway bunker and leaving me 285 out. 6i 160 yards to the right side of the fairway (because I'm probably in tree trouble if I try to go straight down the center) to leave me a 125 yard approach shot. 9i up the throat between the bunkers to the left/center of the green, and hopefully a 2-putt from there to the far back right pin position. Playing it safe to the green rather than pin hunting and taking on the right bunker would probably make for the possibility of a 3-putt.

#3: 230 yard driver aiming for the right side of the fairway away from the FW bunkers, leaving me 110 yards. AW to the right center of the green, playing away from the bunker, then try for a 2-putt to the middle left pin position.

#1 off the tee box to the bunker is 200, so I’m taking 3 wood over the bunker, next shot uphill 9 iron to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.
#2 off the tee box to the bunker is 240, so I’m taking driver left of the bunker, 5 hybrid, wedge to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.
#3 I’m honestly going to try and hit driver here down the right side, wedge to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.

This is a very cool setup, thanks for getting it going.

#1 I'd hit 3w off the tee, aiming at the left edge of the bunker and drawing it off the bunker. Hope to have PW or 9i second shot aimed at the middle of the green. Two putt par.

#2 I'm going chief and hoping it turns over and gets down the hill a bit. Regardless I am hitting whatever it takes to go at it with my second shot. I have one chance to give it the ol' Oosthuizen try and I am taking it. Reality is I probably botch the drive and limp down the right side and play in the bunkers trying to get cute around the green. Debacle in progress and make a double bogey.

#3, hit the chief again with a power fade at the bunkers. Flip a lob wedge at the pin and pray that it stops. Then two putt, but likely three putt because #3 is a little diabolical beast. Bogey and flee to safety, oh right #4 terrifies me.

#1, I’m hitting my 3w off the tee to hopefully leave me with a 50* yardage. Hit the wedge to middle of green and 3 putt bogey.

#2, Easy, driver straight left following the tree line with a nice little fade. I can’t draw the ball to save my life. From the member tees I should have a 5-4 iron yardage into the green. 3 putt par.

#3, 3 driving iron off tee to about 100 left into the green. 56* on the next shot and 2 putt par.

1 over after 3, yeah right 😂

So far, not intimidated by the tee or approach shots. The short game/greens are another story. So many shots will be lost around the greens.

assuming I'm having a good contact day

From the member tees:

#1: Hybrid aimed left of the fairway bunker. An open-faced flare up will come up short. A bomb will split the fairway. No elevation adjust for pinhunting - the priority is clearing the greenside bunker. Short and right is the death zone. Rolling off the back doesn't seem likely given the slope, but flying the green means a short chip that has a high danger of rolling all the way off the green. If hitting the green in the top half slightly left of center, be happy with a 2 putt par.

#2: Driver down the fairway and hopefully catch the downslope. Don't slice! The fairway's slope should keep my ball out of the right side rough. Back-of-stance short iron (mid iron if a short drive) at the left bunker - more left means more green to work with. Flip pitch to the middle of the green and let the ball roll down to the pin's level. Excellent birdie opportunity if I don't get greedy.

#3: Hybrid short of the bunkers. Maybe a fairway wood if I'm feeling lucky. Mid or short iron into the fat part of the green, and be happy if the first putt only rolls onto the collar. Bogey likely with this pin position, although the putting is fairly straightforward on this green.

Last edited:
#1 driver leaves me well short of bunker and enough to hit a pw into the green and go bananas for a two putt par.
#2 this is going to be a tough one for my distance challenged clubs... Driver to the fairway and give it all you go 3w and finish it with a chip shot wedge... putting sounds difficult so happy with two here
#3 seems to mirror the clubs of #1 probably driver aimed to the inside of those bunkers...elevated green club up to 9iron to score safely in the green

Definitely member tees for me.

Hole 1: Likely 3 hybrid and gap wedge to get to the green. I like my changes of being on in two but will be cautious with my first putt and end up 3 putting for bogey.

Hole 2: Driver, 5 hybrid and 54° to get to the green but likely in the bunker. Out in one and two putt for bogey would be great!

Hole 3. Not sure of distance so likely a 3 hybrid or shorter club to land short of the bunkers. Then iron into the green. I like my chances of a two putt par on this one.

Fun to dream!!

1 - Driver off the tee and cut it up the right side for the best angle at a left pin. Probably pull it with the nerves so my second shot out of the woods left before missing the green, chipping up and 2 putting for a bogey.

2 - Driver again and hug the left with a cut. Hopefully keep it out of the fairway bunker. You don’t play ANGC and layup on the par-5s so I absolutely go for it, but aim for the left half of the green, knowing it will cut and roll. Then 3 putt for par. 😂

3 - 3 wood up the hill and hopefully find grass without trees blocking to hit a wedge and possibly have a birdie look for the first time. With green speeds though, anything less than a 3-putt is win.

#1: After saying my prayers and thinking only good thoughts I hit my driver suprisingly in the fairway but not wanting to overswing I'm still 150 out. 2nd shot comes up short and chip goes past hole. 2 putts later in the hole.
#2: Captain Hook arrives and I'm punching my 2nd shot from the trees on the left. 3rd shot is short again but my pitch gets close enough and as soon as my knees stop knocking I hit the 4 footer for par.
#3: Not wanting to go left again off the tee I hit a decent 3 wood to the right side just off fairway. My second shot gets pulled into greenside bunker and with that hole location that is not the place to be and I will pay the price after my 3 putt. After 3 +3.
This is a fantastic exercise in course management and dream golf thanks for putting this up!

#1 is driver off the tee. Ive straightened out my slice and it's going straight now... for about 185 yards so I'm well short of the bunker. My second shot is a 5 iron for another 150 yards closer to the hole. My third shot is a chunked PW because I'm afraid of hitting it over the green so it lands 10 yards in front of me. Fourth shot lands on the green. I 3 putt because the greens are so fast and I card a 7.

#2. I'm aiming for the left side of the fairway to make it just a tad shorter for me and set up a second shot. Driver off the tee again. The bunker isn't in play yet. My second shot is my 3w off the deck which should put me past the first bunker and well short still. Third shot gets me close to the apron of the green. 4th splits the bunkers and rolls to the back of the green. Another 4 putt and I card an 8.

#3. Driver off the tee for 180 yards. Second shot to the center of the green. Yay! And it rolls off the left side into the bunker. 3 shots later it's over the green on the far side. 1 wedge shot and it's on the green. 2 putts later and the ball still isn't in the hole. I pick up with another 8.

#1: A lot of nerves on the first tee, I mean wow I am playing Augusta. Could it be any more perfect? Arms feel like Jello, rush the swing and play a little low hook straight into the tree line on the left. No worries, the is the best day of my life. Nice little punch out with a 6 iron puts me at 80 out. Smooth Gap Wedge, as I apologize for the divot in the perfectly manicured fairway lands short right on the green. I have a 40 footer. But hey,. I am putting for par. Ho hum two putt, I am off to the races with a Bogey!

#2: Time to settle in, a nice cutter off the tee seems to be okay but it dribbles into the right fairway bunker. I take my medicine and swing and 8 iron out of there so I am sitting in the fairway with a chance to attack the green with my pitching wedge. Nice clean swing, but I miss judged the distance, bunker on the right. Two bunkers in one hole? Classic. Bunker shot comes out clean and I two putt. Another Bogey… Honestly, I will take it.

#3: Finally, a nice short Par 4. Tons of confidence here, starting to settle in. I pull driver, cause.. Well, I did not come here to lay up and play conservative. Pipe city cutter over the left bunkers and leave myself just short of the green. Nice boring chip on to the green and leave myself a 20 footer. Burn the edge for birdie, and ladies and gents I have my first tap in for par.

+2 through 3. Life is good.

Hole 1... So we're thinking it's about 240 uphill to clear the bunker from the member's tees? Wow, gonna need to get all of it to clear it. But this is freaking Augusta, home of the heroic shot! I'm going driver at the bunker all day for two reasons: 1) I probably won't hit it straight anyway and 2) I'm sure as heck not going to take a divot out of the first tee box at Augusta with an iron - I'd be mortified!

Most likely, I'll yank it into the pine straw, punch out just short of the green, chip to 20 feet (holy cow they roll out!), lag a putt with no chance and end up with a gimme bogey (we're playing with members, right?). On to 2 and 3 tomorrow!

Bout 237 to carry uphill, yes.

Hole 1, I absolutely am taking driver. I'm going to aim basically at the treeline and probably hit a low heel shot out of pure adrenaline. It'll look like garbage in the air but I'm gonna club twirl the hell out of it because I didn't whiff. Figuring the uphill and terrible contact, I will likely have about 125 in? Not being prepared for this thing called spin and how to control it, I will hit wedge into the green, it'll spin, catch a ridge, and funnel likely off the green to the right. From there, I'll chip on to probably ten feet out of fear of going long and make a good two putt.

Hole 2, it's about 240 to the landing area not counting the elevation drop. I don't trust my driver to hit a draw if my life depended on it, so I'm taking three wood and just hoping it goes straight. I hit the ball sky high with driver so if I don't think the tree line would be an issue, I might try and hit up over it with a fade but that's a coin toss decision. 3w probably the play and just deal with the downhill approach. If I'm gonna miss to that sunday pin, short right gives me the backstop I can play a wedge into and have a little bit of help. Probably hit it well, but put it into the greenside bunker right. Blast out, two putt.

Hole 3, Hogan said never hit driver on 3. I tried to find this story online but I heard it on XM, so I couldn't. A player working under the Hogan name when Mr. Hogan was still alive had asked the legend for tips around Augusta National, when Hogan wasn't competing there anymore. He was told never hit driver on 3. Ever. First day, the young pro listened and was leading the tournament. Called Mr. Hogan, told him all about it. Mr. Hogan was pleased and proud of the young man. Second day... Pro hit driver on 3. Made double or even triple, fell way out of contention. Called Mr. Hogan... Told him what happened on 3. Mr. Hogan got quiet, and said into the phone, "I told you not to hit the damn driver on 3" and hung up on him. Pro didn't get any more help after that. SOOOOOO yeah I'm gonna take that into account haha!

5i off that tee, maybe my 4H. Neither will reach the bunker complex unless there's a helping wind, and that's more the 4H than 5i. I just want a full yardage past the pin. In one of the things you'd think you'd never say at Augusta National, above the hole on the left is okay here. Less likely to putt it off the green than you would if you're hole high right. I'm two putting this after still leaving myself about 3 feet.

Bout 237 to carry uphill, yes.

Hole 1, I absolutely am taking driver. I'm going to aim basically at the treeline and probably hit a low heel shot out of pure adrenaline. It'll look like garbage in the air but I'm gonna club twirl the hell out of it because I didn't whiff. Figuring the uphill and terrible contact, I will likely have about 125 in? Not being prepared for this thing called spin and how to control it, I will hit wedge into the green, it'll spin, catch a ridge, and funnel likely off the green to the right. From there, I'll chip on to probably ten feet out of fear of going long and make a good two putt.

Hole 2, it's about 240 to the landing area not counting the elevation drop. I don't trust my driver to hit a draw if my life depended on it, so I'm taking three wood and just hoping it goes straight. I hit the ball sky high with driver so if I don't think the tree line would be an issue, I might try and hit up over it with a fade but that's a coin toss decision. 3w probably the play and just deal with the downhill approach. If I'm gonna miss to that sunday pin, short right gives me the backstop I can play a wedge into and have a little bit of help. Probably hit it well, but put it into the greenside bunker right. Blast out, two putt.

Hole 3, Hogan said never hit driver on 3. I tried to find this story online but I heard it on XM, so I couldn't. A player working under the Hogan name when Mr. Hogan was still alive had asked the legend for tips around Augusta National, when Hogan wasn't competing there anymore. He was told never hit driver on 3. Ever. First day, the young pro listened and was leading the tournament. Called Mr. Hogan, told him all about it. Mr. Hogan was pleased and proud of the young man. Second day... Pro hit driver on 3. Made double or even triple, fell way out of contention. Called Mr. Hogan... Told him what happened on 3. Mr. Hogan got quiet, and said into the phone, "I told you not to hit the damn driver on 3" and hung up on him. Pro didn't get any more help after that. SOOOOOO yeah I'm gonna take that into account haha!

5i off that tee, maybe my 4H. Neither will reach the bunker complex unless there's a helping wind, and that's more the 4H than 5i. I just want a full yardage past the pin. In one of the things you'd think you'd never say at Augusta National, above the hole on the left is okay here. Less likely to putt it off the green than you would if you're hole high right. I'm two putting this after still leaving myself about 3 feet.

Hogan would not be happy with my choice on 3.. And my reasoning.. "I did not come here to layup". Mulligan?? :ROFLMAO:

Hogan would not be happy with my choice on 3.. And my reasoning.. "I did not come here to layup". Mulligan?? :ROFLMAO:

Bout 271 to take the bunker complex out of play. Your comment is what made me think of the story haha

Bout 271 to take the bunker complex out of play. Your comment is what made me think of the story haha

Lol. Well.. I was thinking the pros are playing it from 350, so I thought for us mortals it would be around 300. Moral of the story, I skimmed over the fact that it is 340.. IDIOT. I might need to edit my par.. Cause I am definitely in the bunker 😭

surprised at the people going pinhunting on #3 on Sunday... bunker left, dropoff short, dropoff long

Lol. Well.. I was thinking the pros are playing it from 350, so I thought for us mortals it would be around 300. Moral of the story, I skimmed over the fact that it is 340.. IDIOT. I might need to edit my par.. Cause I am definitely in the bunker 😭

Yep that one is basically pros behind the bench there near the tee box, members and guests in front of it. Fun little par 4. Green is just absurd fast

Yep that one is basically pros behind the bench there near the tee box, members and guests in front of it. Fun little par 4. Green is just absurd fast

I think I am underestimating these greens with my simple, typical two putts. I gotta put some respect on their name.

surprised at the people going pinhunting on #3 on Sunday... bunker left, dropoff short, dropoff long

File this photo under maybe info overload, but on the Sunday pin, check out Stuart Appleby's circle of where to putt from for that hole location. I mean if you go long right, you're not making 4, probably not even making 5. Short right, I don't think that's going to bode well for you either since the green breaks downhill to the left from there. I mean if there's a hole to go pin hunting on (pin hunting being in that 20 ft circle) this seems the first hole you really could. I suppose you could on 2 as well if you lay up, but who knows how much spin you're gonna get off that slope just over the flag?

C8-uJFeUwAAKkiS

Back