Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 1-3, THP style

1: driver, punch out, wedge short, chip, putt, putt

2: driver, punch rescue down fairway, wedge to green, putt, putt, putt

3: driver, punch out- hit tree, punch out, wedge to fringe, putt, putt

+5 through 3.

File this photo under maybe info overload, but on the Sunday pin, check out Stuart Appleby's circle of where to putt from for that hole location. I mean if you go long right, you're not making 4, probably not even making 5. Short right, I don't think that's going to bode well for you either since the green breaks downhill to the left from there. I mean if there's a hole to go pin hunting on (pin hunting being in that 20 ft circle) this seems the first hole you really could. I suppose you could on 2 as well if you lay up, but who knows how much spin you're gonna get off that slope just over the flag?

C8-uJFeUwAAKkiS
Definitely a high risk/reward pin position. Can't roll it up the front, shots landing past the pin better stick or else. Half a stroke difference between Saturday and Sunday

Playing under tournament conditions with 40+ yards of roll out off the tee, magageable rough and lightning fast greens? I will assume so then adjust if needed.

Hole 1: Driver down the left side and wedge (after the massive rollout off the tee) to the middle of the green. 2 putt par.

Hole 2: Driver, 3 wood, probable chip / pitch shot. Will the roll that I would expect to get, hitting the green in 2 is possible. Goal is to keep the 2nd shot in line with the left side of the green. A right miss around this green with the pin position could turn disastrous. Chip and run third shot, 2 putts, par.

Hole 3: AIm a 3 wood down the left side and fade the ball off the bunkers. Wedge it on and 2 putt par.

Yes, these are how I would play them in a perfect world. Seeing as to where I have not hit a ball in over 3 weeks, I would more than likely be +2 instead of even after 3.

On hole 1 I know a hook is terrible and from the members tee I could fade my driver into that bunker. At 365 though I can easily hit down on my fairway wood and smoke a high flying 200-210 yarder in the wide part of the fairway short of the bunker hopefully not too tight to trees on the right so I have a good shotat this green. From there I want no part of that sand in front of the green so I am taking an extra club and picking a line over the right side of the green. From there it's short game to get the ball in the hole. I'm probably taking a 5 unless I drain a long putt or draw that 2nd shot onto the green somehow.

Hole 2 I am pulling my fairway wood out again just aiming right down the middle. As long as I land in the fairway I should be able to hit my 19* hybrid about as far as I want. I would use it because I hardly put any backspin on that sucker so it rolls forever and I would love to just roll out as long as I can. I am thinking I would be around 400 total yards from the tee after 2 shots so I have a 120-150 yard shot into the green. I am clubbing up again because I don't want anything to do with those traps. Hopefully I am on or close and it's short game action again. I am getting a bogey here though, 530 is a long way for me.

Hole 3 I am finally pulling a driver. I am aiming right at the fairway bunkers and my fade should bring it back into the middle. I will be right past them or right beside them in the fairway. From there I am pin seeking for the first time as well. Give me a par here as this hole sets up for my game pretty well.

Last edited:
Hole 1: Taking whatever I can that gets me just left of the first bunkers, and then taking iron in from there.

Hole 2: Driver, hopefully get it to turn over a little, and if so get some run out and go for it in 2. If not, lay up about 100 out.

Hole 3: It really seems like I can take driver here and be fine to try and get as close as possible.

Also never realized how short Augusta is for members. But that makes sense for when it was designed.

1- 3 wood off the tee, aiming right at the bunkers, short or mid iron to middle of the green, hope to 2 putt.
2- Again, 3 wood off of the tee, trying to go right side of fairway, short of the bunker. Then a 3 hybrid to put me anywhere left of the middle of the fairway, so that I can take a short iron into the green, without having to hit over the bunker to a tight right side pin. Ideally, a wedge to wide part of green and feed towards the whole.
3- I’ll take driver here and take anything I can get as long as it is in play past the bunkers. Here is where I will likely try to go for the pin, knowing short of the green is okay, I just want to take long right out of play. I’ll still probably send it right, and likely 3 putt (at least).

I can say one thing I am officially missing Masters weekend!

Hole 1: Driver, wedge, chip, 3 putt
Hole 2: Driver, 3w, pitch, chip, 3 putt
Hole 3: 4i, wedge, 3 putt

I'm off to a great start!

I can say one thing I am officially missing Masters weekend!

Hole 1: Driver, wedge, chip, 3 putt
Hole 2: Driver, 3w, pitch, chip, 3 putt
Hole 3: 4i, wedge, 3 putt

I'm off to a great start!

Consistency with your putting is outstanding.

Consistency with your putting is outstanding.
I'm not going to pretend to be able to putt well on those greens, maybe after a few holes I'll adjust to the speed haha

Excellent start here @MWard

#1, I’m hitting my 3w off the tee to hopefully leave me with a 50* yardage. Hit the wedge to middle of green and 3 putt bogey.

#2, Easy, driver straight left following the tree line with a nice little fade. I can’t draw the ball to save my life. From the member tees I should have a 5-4 iron yardage into the green. 3 putt par.

#3, 3 driving iron off tee to about 100 left into the green. 56* on the next shot and 2 putt par.

1 over after 3, yeah right 😂

3W off the first tee at Augusta National??

Before I begin, I want to say that television doesn’t give one the true picture of Augusta. The course is more hillier than it appears and TV cannot come close to capturing the true nature of Augusta’s greens. I have had the privilege of attending a practice round in 2011 and the Par 3 tournament in 2013. I have walked the course from 1-18 several times. All I can say is good luck on the greens.

I’ll play the member tees and I planning on at least a 3 putt on every hole.

Hole 1. Driver down the left side leaving a short iron into green. Once I get on the green, I hope I fare better than Ernie Els and don’t 4 putt.

Hole 2. My first issue is tee shot favors a draw and I can’t hit one. I will still hit a driver. My goal is to then advance the ball down the hill towards the green. At least with the Sunday pin, you have a lot of green to work with and the ball will feed towards the pin location.

Hole 3. The shortest of the Par 4s is very tricky and disaster potentially lurks for those who get to greedy. Fairway wood and wedge for me. Good luck hitting the green if you attack the flag.? Then the trouble begins, short of the green or long is not good. A three putt for double will feel as rewarding as a birdie.

Big cat can take 3w off the tee, so could I. I won’t though, cause I may thin it into that big slope and have like 230 uphill into that green

Heck yeah, from the member tees I am. My luck I’d fly it into the bunker with a driver.

Big cat can take 3w off the tee, so could I. I won’t though, cause I may thin it into that big slope and have like 230 uphill into that green

You're not the Big Cat though...

#1 - PERFECT PLAY: Based on my normal swing, I am lucky if I hit it 230 yards off the tee here. Bunker won't come into play, so that is the main benefit. Leaving about 135, I'll hit an easy 7 iron, I figure the greens will be nice and receptive. I'd like to say I'll be going for the pin, but I just want to be in the middle of the green and take my chances. Do I make a 4 here? Sure, lets say a 2 putt par.
#1 - REALISTIC: Driver off the tee, and most likely in the trees left or right (take your pick). Punch shot out to short of the green from the trees. Pitch on. 3 putt. Bogey. I could live with that.

#2 - PERFECT PLAY: Full of confidence from #1, Driver off the tee, once again still well short of the bunker. Heavenwood from the fairway and come up short. Pitch on with a 3rd shot. Hopefully to a good position to the Tricky Pin position. 2 putts, par.
#2 - REALISTIC: After hitting into the trees on #1, we will guard against that on #2. Driving iron off the tee, hopefully about 210 yards. Driving iron again with the second shot, nibble off say 190 more. Leaves ~115 to the green on the 3rd shot. 9 iron hit fat finding the greenside bunker. Sand shot out, 3 putts. A realistic 7. Not wonderful, but happy to be there!

#3 - PERFECT PLAY: 340 off the tee? Lets play a 4 iron (200 yards) off the tee. Leaving us 140 in, we'll hit a full 7 iron and hope we have the shot to hang onto the green. 2 putts, and lets take a par.
#3 - REALISTIC: After putting up a 7 on #2, we are tightening up. We need a better score here. 340 we think, We can hit a good drive 230, and be left with a wedge or 9 iron in. In reality, we hit that driver and we end up in the trees on the right. Punch out again. Pitch on. 3 putts. Card a 6.

Hows the card looking so far?
PERFECT PLAY: We are all sorts of confident. Putter is on fire, and we have avoided all the trouble. Playing smart, we are even par at this point.
REALISTIC: We showed up to majestic Augusta and started a dumpster fire. After 3 holes we are 5 over. Nerves are killing us. Are we enjoying ourselves? Yes. Are we playing well? Certainly not.

You're not the Big Cat though...

If it took a hazard out of play that I know I couldn’t cover, I’d take 3w. Hell, I know I’m likely taking 3w on 13 and I haven’t even gotten there yet! 😂

Oh man, seeing the pics and flyovers has me some kind of way!!!
I know right! Those video game like flyovers make me want to break out my old xbox and fire it up just to play some golf and get my masters fix. Honestly I'm kind of shocked I haven't already haha

Love this !!

#1 - Driver to just left of the bunker leaving about 120-130 to the pin. Wedge or knockdown 9 iron to the green and hope to 2 putt for par.

#2 - Driver left of the corner bunker. Depending on rollout should leave a short iron layup to 90 yards for a SW. Hope for birdie, settle for par.

#3 - Driver down the middle, leaving about 90-100 yards for a SW. Hope for birdie on this slopy green and settle for par.

I guess I never realized how much those fairway bunkers would be a magnet for me on all 3 of those holes, I'd avoid them like the plague!

And how many greensides there are!

I know right! Those video game like flyovers make me want to break out my old xbox and fire it up just to play some golf and get my masters fix. Honestly I'm kind of shocked I haven't already haha

Funny story... I have an order to pickup from Gamestop (curbside, no contact of course) that may involve TW 2014. And I will never ever ever ever ever sell it this time.

Funny story... I have an order to pickup from Gamestop (curbside, no contact of course) that may involve TW 2014. And I will never ever ever ever ever sell it this time.
You sold it? I still have games from 08 :ROFLMAO:

You sold it? I still have games from 08 :ROFLMAO:

The system died and I was like you know what, I hate this thing. I'll get a PS4 instead. That was a mistake.

240 to carry the bunker on 1 means I am going for it with the driver aiming down the middle just to the left of the bunker. 9 iron or PW wedge to the center of the green for a likely 3 jack.
Hole 2 take driver again, should be able to get past the bunker. Should have about 210 to the front. Play a 205 shot aimed between the bunkers and hope to end up on the right part of the green. Another 3 Jack for par.
Hole 3 7 iron short of the bunkers, 9 iron or PW and 3 jack.

Back