Augusta National Golf Club - Holes 13-15 THP Style

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello friends,

We're hitting the second third of the golf course, where a hell of a lot of history has been made. Let's cut the fluff pieces and just get to it. Pin placements for reference, now let's pitter patter.

1586574416115.png

Hole 13: Azalea. 510yds professional, 455yds member

09_big.jpg

What more honestly needs to be said about this par 5? Rounds have been ruined and second 9 charges have started all on this hole. A very gettable par 5, so long as you can find the fairway. A right to left shot shape is the obvious play, but some of the higher launching, longer hitters have even opted to take it over the tree line and fade it back into play. The beauty of the shape of this hole is the willingness to take on the curve of the hole. The safer you play, the more above your feet the ball is going to be. The closer you get to the hazard running up the left side of the hole, the flatter the lie gets. But enough about that, the pictures are what everyone wants to see.

75348.jpg4497564720_1265763e50_z.jpg

1586574978244.png

Folks, if you ever get to travel to Augusta National in person, this is just one of the prettiest views in all of golf. It's just serene.

Masters Moments:
The year was 2010. Phil Mickelson hit a shot that is just friggin absurd. Good two putt though.... :censored:

Hole 14: Chinese Fir. 440 yds professional, 380 member.

10_big.jpg

It's hard to say a golf hole on this piece of property, but this one really gets a bit of a bad wrap. You just left one of the most exciting and beautiful 3 hole stretches in golf. Right after you, you have a very gettable par 5 and a par 3 that has produced more hole in one's and drama than any other one in major championship history. This poor hole just doesn't get any love. I get it. It's a gentle dogleg left, with a defenseless green to the naked eye. But this is Augusta National, where really no green is ever defenseless. Let's see if a closer look can help determine what defense there is on this green.

Hole 14.jpg

Hole 14b.jpg

This green may be the most sloped green on property. You miss the ball 15 to the right of the pin in the current photo and hit it even 3ft too far, there is a strong chance you could have 50ft for par coming back up the slope.

Masters moments: Third round, 2010. Coming off eagle at the par 5 13th, Phil Mickelson had 141yds left in for his second shot. Pitching wedge in hand, he holed his wedge shot for the rare eagle eagle run anywhere, but especially at Augusta National.

Hole 15: Firethorn. 530yds professional, 475yds amateur

12_big.jpg

The second par 5 on this second 9 here at Augusta National. 530 yds, slightly uphill off the tee, to an approach shot that can be as much as 25ft or so down the hill to a green with water short, and technically long if you catch a really bad break. This may be the most exciting par 5 in major championship history. As much as 13 is gettable, it does favor a right to left ball flight more than a left to right or a straight ball. This hole however, just find the fairway however you can. Yes, right side is definitely a bit easier, but the short grass is imperative if you want a chance at getting there in two. Laying up is no bargain either, with a severely downhill lie for your third and a slope in front of the putting surface that will punish even the slightest of mishit shots. For as many 3's made here, there have been twice as many doubles and others on the scorecard. It is as straight forward as a risk reward par 5 can possibly be.

There's only one Masters moment that really can take the #1 spot here, given all the history that has taken place on this hole. Final round, 1986. 4 back of leader Seve Ballesteros, Jack stood in the middle of the 15th fairway 212yds from the hole, Jack said to his caddie and son Jackie, "How far do you think a 3 would go here Jackie?" and Jackie replied, "I think a 3 here would go a long way. Let's see it." Jack Nicklaus hit 4i to 12ft, and sunk the putt for eagle.

Yes, there have been many eagles at the 15th, but not from a man who was 46 years old, not well past his prime, and not one of the greatest of all time.

13 & 15 just waiting to propel you to a major champion or lull you into a false sense of security.

13 & 15 just waiting to propel you to a major champion or lull you into a false sense of security.

On Sunday, those two holes for sure are the difference between winning and losing. You don't need to go eagle eagle on them, but you better not make worse than par on either one of them!

#13 I’m hitting 4 (23*) hybrid off the tee 200ish down the middle. Second shot I’m hitting 4 (23*) hybrid again from the fairway 185. Third shot 70 yard pitch to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.
#14 I’m hitting driver off the tee box 270, second shot pitching wedge 110 to the middle of the green, 1 putt birdie :eek:
#15 I’m hitting driver slightly uphill 260, second shot laying up short of the water 8 iron 140, third shot hitting a little pitch 75 to the middle of the green, 2 putt par.

Morning bump for those who missed it

@MWard do you agree there are about 15 different ways to play 13? It’s such a unique golf hole to me

@MWard do you agree there are about 15 different ways to play 13? It’s such a unique golf hole to me

15? I think you cut it a bit short haha. This hole is straight up a chess match before you even tee it up, all starting with where the pin is located. 1 shot opens up 3 doors, but closes 4 doors. You could have the misfortune of Brandt Snedeker back in 08 where you've nailed the fairway and have a sidehill uphill lie and think, "well God, this has to hook it's above my feet" and then put it in the water dead right. He was either in the lead or 1 shot back at that point. Even laying up isn't just an iron to the 100yd mark. You have that entire right side that gives you a whole lot of green angle to work with, but how aggressive do you want to get in hitting it towards Rae's creek up the right? How downhill and sloped is your lie if you do decide to lay up?

Then get to the green. It's crazy sloped, crazy fast, and just misjudging how you think a slope is going to move your ball is the difference between lagging it tight, or putting off the green and down into Rae's creek.

It's one of those holes where when rumors swirl about lengthening it, I frown. You don't need a hole to be long to be challenging to professionals. You just have to make them second and third guess themselves. Make it too long, now only the long guys can get there. The beauty is when every player can hit a good drive and get there, and then let their indecision get to them. 565, this hole would be boring. 510? You're just taunting them with the chance at a 3.

15? I think you cut it a bit short haha. This hole is straight up a chess match before you even tee it up, all starting with where the pin is located. 1 shot opens up 3 doors, but closes 4 doors. You could have the misfortune of Brandt Snedeker back in 08 where you've nailed the fairway and have a sidehill uphill lie and think, "well God, this has to hook it's above my feet" and then put it in the water dead right. He was either in the lead or 1 shot back at that point. Even laying up isn't just an iron to the 100yd mark. You have that entire right side that gives you a whole lot of green angle to work with, but how aggressive do you want to get in hitting it towards Rae's creek up the right? How downhill and sloped is your lie if you do decide to lay up?

Then get to the green. It's crazy sloped, crazy fast, and just misjudging how you think a slope is going to move your ball is the difference between lagging it tight, or putting off the green and down into Rae's creek.

It's one of those holes where when rumors swirl about lengthening it, I frown. You don't need a hole to be long to be challenging to professionals. You just have to make them second and third guess themselves. Make it too long, now only the long guys can get there. The beauty is when every player can hit a good drive and get there, and then let their indecision get to them. 565, this hole would be boring. 510? You're just taunting them with the chance at a 3.

One of my absolute favorites on the entire course.

Fun Masters trivia: Before they moved the tee back on 13 in 2002, there was quite a lot of room back there and no cameras or patrons. Well, the nearest bathroom is on hole 15 green to 16, if you missed the one near hole 12 over in the patron area. So it became a bit of a tradition for players who needed to go, to just kinda walk down to the bushes and relieve themselves. I don't mean just a few players either, I mean like.. You have the Hogan and Nelson bridge, and then you have the piss bushes. The club moved the tees back, that didn't quite slow the players down. "So many golfers at Augusta went No. 1 on No. 13 that the club felt obliged to do more. "It was a perfect place to go, no spectators around to see you," says Mark Long, the veteran PGA and Champions tour caddie, with a wistful tone in his voice. "The way officials solved the issue, or thought they did, was to put a sign back there that says, This Area Under Video Surveillance." "

FYI, still hasn't slowed the players down. You very much can count only 4 or 5 people on the tee box sometimes and you just assume they're relieving themselves etc. Shocked yet there's no bathroom hidden back there to just solve the entire issue.

One of my absolute favorites on the entire course.

Same. There's really only 1, maybe 2 holes on the entire course that I don't like at all. 1 hole for sure. The second just depends on how players are doing it and if the hard but fair mantra is being stretched too much.

Same. There's really only 1, maybe 2 holes on the entire course that I don't like at all. 1 hole for sure. The second just depends on how players are doing it and if the hard but fair mantra is being stretched too much.
I wish the closing holes were better. 17 without the Eisenhower tree is a relatively mundane hole. And I don't care for 18. The narrow chute for the tee shot with the farside fairway bunker dictates how the hole is played. Yes, the greens are still good, but overall those aren't two great holes to finish the greatest tournament in golf. Clifford Roberts added that fairway bunker on 18 after he saw Nicklaus drive it out there. Get rid of it and clear some of the trees on the left and the hole becomes more interesting as a birdie opportunity to end the tournament. Also surprised they never replaced the Eisenhower tree on 17.

I wish the closing holes were better. 17 without the Eisenhower tree is a relatively mundane hole. And I don't care for 18. The narrow chute for the tee shot with the farside fairway bunker dictates how the hole is played. Yes, the greens are still good, but overall those aren't two great holes to finish the greatest tournament in golf. Clifford Roberts added that fairway bunker on 18 after he saw Nicklaus drive it out there. Get rid of it and clear some of the trees on the left and the hole becomes more interesting as a birdie opportunity to end the tournament. Also surprised they never replaced the Eisenhower tree on 17.

The loss of the Eisenhower tree really did change the feel of that hole, I agree. It went from a thing to worry about to now just hit it it as hard as you want, dead left just puts you on 7 now. I mean it won't be fun but it's not like you'll have a giant tree in your way now. If there was any place that could, it could and would have been them. I'm not sure why they haven't yet, or if they ever plan to.

18 doesn't really bother me I guess. One more thread the needle tee shot with a fade just off the right of the two bunkers and then that green though

On Sunday, those two holes for sure are the difference between winning and losing. You don't need to go eagle eagle on them, but you better not make worse than par on either one of them!

Exactly. They always fee like the pivotal point on Sunday and when I think of the roars of Augusta I always imagine them happening between 13-16.

Last edited:
Love it Wardy. Great job my friend. And you are right about the 14th green. Crazy slopes on a hole that gets overlooked because of where it is placed.

14 might be the only hole on the golf course I feel like even I from the member tees could get lucky and find a GIR!

Love it Wardy. Great job my friend. And you are right about the 14th green. Crazy slopes on a hole that gets overlooked because of where it is placed.

I’m looking forward to what you can find for 16 and 17 green. Neither get the justice slope wise that they deserve from tv

**Assuming I would be playing from the member tee's & my tee shot would be in the 245-255 range**

Coming off of #12 sitting somewhere between +8 or +9 I am feeling pretty good about my round. I probably had some self inflicted wounds here and there, but now we get to the part of the course that IMO has either won or lost the tournament for a lot of players.

13 Azalea - At 455yd and requiring a tee shot I do not have, this is as challenging a par 5 as there can be for me. Given my normal tee shot is a fade and this one requires a decent draw, the play for me would be a 3w off the tee aimed at the corner of the dog leg. I feel comfortable with a 220-225 tee shot here leaving me around 230yds. Knowing what is guarding this green and how the fiarway slope, my next shot would be a HW hoping to leave me somewhere in the 40-30 yd pitch shot. Given the Sunday pin location is back right, there is a lot that can go wrong attacking that pin. For my third shot priority one is getting it on the green then deal with the putt. My short game has been the part that has kept my scores low, so I would imagine i would have a birdie putt and probably end up with par. +8/+9 thru 13

14 Chinese Fir - Often overlooked sandwiched between 13 & 15, but is a hole that you can birdie if you stay sharp. The main thought here is getting the ball on the green below this hole. At 380 yds par should be the worse I can make here. A tee shot should leave me around 125yds left for my second shot. A 9i should let me have a good look at birdie. Given the movement this green presents, a par is what I would imagine the outcome to be. +8/+9 thru 14

15 - Firethorn - The last real chance to get a birdie on the back nine. Sure the remaining holes can always be birdied, but this one feels like the last legitimate chance. At 475 yds and a pretty wide open fairway, it's driver all day off the tee. With water guarding the front of the green its a layup for me. with 215yds left, i'm pulling an 8i hoping to leave myself a 70-60 yds shot into the green. A 3/4 48* wedge for my third shot should give me the best look at birdie. Given the green complexes, par is the most likely outcome. +8/+9 thru 15.

Thru 15 I would feel like I am in a good spot and if I look at this from a worse case scenario, a score of +11 wouldn't be out of the question right now. My mindset would be lets not let 16 wreck my scorecard and enjoy the walks up 17 & 18.

I have to agree with you that #13 green side is one of the best images and it’s one that I think about when I think of Augusta. God this week stinks without the Masters but these threads have helped

On 13, I would try to keep my tee shot out of the trees right. Hopefully, I won’t hit a pull left. Playing the hole as a 3 shot hole, I would leave my second shot out to the right. Third shot to the middle of the green. Hoping for a two putt.

On 14, I’m just hoping to three putt when I get the ball on the green.

On 15, I want to keep my drive in the right center. Then I would prefer to lay up at somewhere inside 100 yards. Now I need to avoid hitting it fat into the pond. Assuming a nice 3/4 wedge shot I will be on the green. But it would likely be a little long leaving me a downhill look. A two putt would be nice but that is not the easiest pin and my first putt may run down past the hole.

Mward normally this is about the time moves happen on Sunday. Both directions.

Which hole do you think has the most movement possibilities?

Back