Austin/San Antonio and Surrounding Area Thread

San Antonio peeps I played Hill Country GC today and game away pretty impressed. Tighter off the tee than a normal resort course. You definitely have to control your ball off the tee or big numbers come into play. Greens were a little slower than I would like, but I’ll be back to play it again.

I’m caddying for my buddy in the Texas Am this week at Boot Ranch. Hoping I can play with him during the practice round.🤞

I’m caddying for my buddy in the Texas Am this week at Boot Ranch. Hoping I can play with him during the practice round.🤞
That is a sweet course. I got a chance to play it about 6 months back. The restaurant is top notch too if you get a chance to eat there. Are you staying in town or in one of the Villas?

I’m guessing in town. He’s getting an AirBNB somewhere for us and one of the other guys playing that he’s friends with.

Got a text from a good college buddy about playing the TPC San Antonio Canyons course next Sunday the 25th. I haven't played either in about 3-4 years now. Really looking forward to getting out there now that I'm a better player than I was.

Also would anyone like to try and get together to play a round one weekend in May?

It's been a weird few months with the freeze and all the rain we have had around the area. Finally starting to get warm and the grass is starting to really grow and thicken up at my course. Here's a few pics. How is everyone else’s course looking?
60198806-D124-42F7-A057-AB630B6F8E0E.jpeg
D44ED84A-4B2A-4642-9BC7-903EBF5668D6.jpeg
ECCB9CE1-43C6-44D8-A60C-73501296AC98.jpeg
004C01F4-78DF-4656-B4D8-7DCB22035B68.jpeg
809F118D-1DCA-4C58-B1D4-D4F125F36400.jpeg59F2E5D2-AAC2-4BAF-B41C-0572F1EC8C89.jpeg

It's been a weird few months with the freeze and all the rain we have had around the area. Finally starting to get warm and the grass is starting to really grow and thicken up at my course. Here's a few pics. How is everyone else’s course looking?
View attachment 9012030
View attachment 9012031
View attachment 9012032
View attachment 9012033
View attachment 9012034View attachment 9012035
Canyon Springs in San Antonio is in excellent shape as is the Palmer Course at La Cantera.

View attachment 9012030
View attachment 9012031
View attachment 9012032
View attachment 9012033
View attachment 9012034View attachment 9012035

We got.a note from UTGC today, they’re closing for a couple of weeks for punch fairways, tees & rough. They’re also going to start reworking all the fairway bunkers. The green sides were just done & they’re awesome.

I want to bump this one back up for the folks local to me.

Brackenridge Park golf course is redoing all their bunkers. Course is beginning to green up pretty well too. I’ve got a twilight time a Thursday to check out the new bunker setup.

I want to bump this one back up for the folks local to me.

Brackenridge Park golf course is redoing all their bunkers. Course is beginning to green up pretty well too. I’ve got a twilight time a Thursday to check out the new bunker setup.
That’s one course I want to get down and play because of the history there. Post some photos of the course when you play.

That’s one course I want to get down and play because of the history there. Post some photos of the course when you play.
I was excited to play there as well when I was in SA. I left pretty disappointed. Very slow play, lots of bare patches, crap tee boxes, and every type of grass you can imagine on the fairways and around the greens. Nothing to set it apart from your typical muni other than the $90 greens fee.

I was excited to play there as well when I was in SA. I left pretty disappointed. Very slow play, lots of bare patches, crap tee boxes, and every type of grass you can imagine on the fairways and around the greens. Nothing to set it apart from your typical muni other than the $90 greens fee.
Yeah that's disappointing. I'd still want to play it once just to say I have because of the history. It's a shame it's not maintained better though.

I also want to get out to Lions Municipal in Austin to play it sometime before it gets closed though hopefully it doesn't. Would anybody else be interested in playing some upcoming weekend?

Last edited:
Brackenridge Park golf course here in San Antonio definitely has some rich golf history making it a must play. However, it is part of what is called the Alamo Golf Trail, one of several course that would meet the definition of a Muni in most cities/towns. The city seems to be renovating the trail courses one-by-one and Brackenridge is going through that now.

The San Antonio area has several fantastic modern courses that are highly recommended, but some of these trail courses have been walked by historical great players. The Brackenridge Club House has the original annual winners board hanging with names like Hogan and the like still there. It's like being on hallowed ground.

Brack is about what you would expect from a Muni, I played the back 9 super twilight tonight. I didn't get alot of pictures, the greens were really slow after some drizzle today and have some bad patches, but they have seed and sand, As a landscaper for public parks,, I can appreciate a "purpose" and an "obvious intent to correct" when mother nature or your patrons don't always cooperate. Some of my group had to hit out of the new bunkers, they said they were very soft.

I plan on playing 9 holes at Olmos Basin tomorrow. That course is looking GORGEOUS from the highway. We will see.

I know it's a long shot, but just in case someone might be available, two spots still open and I'd be happy to try and make a deal on the $.
Spots Open: Briggs Ranch April 4/5

It’s a long shot, but my wife has to go to Fredericksburg for work today and I’m riding with her in hopes of playing golf out there. Anyone have any suggestions on courses out there or care to join me this afternoon?

Play 3 times a week all over Central Texas.

Most places are in good shape currently.

Play 3 times a week all over Central Texas.

Most places are in good shape currently.
Where do you usually play at?

Where do you usually play at?

Terravista, Forest Creek, Star Ramch, Avery Ranch, Riverside, the Muni's(including Muni), Lakeside, Kissing Tree, Great Hills. Twin Creeks, and a few others.

How about you?

Terravista, Forest Creek, Star Ramch, Avery Ranch, Riverside, the Muni's(including Muni), Lakeside, Kissing Tree, Great Hills. Twin Creeks, and a few others.

How about you?
I'm a member at Berry Creek so I play there mostly. I play Terravista, Forest Creek, and Star Ranch occasionally.

Reactions: Wb3
I'm a member at Berry Creek so I play there mostly. I play Terravista, Forest Creek, and Star Ranch occasionally.

I played that course once, but it was so long ago I don't recall much about it. How is it playing?

Back